"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

dcs18, now one strange thing happened. this time file IDMGrHlp.exe is dialing home. as i didn't block IDMGrHlp.exe file in KIS....fake serial box appears now. i think they again changes the policy by dialing by IDMGrHlp file

Im using WFC and just blocking idman.exe is working fine with latest build 6.22

IDMGrHlp.exe is fine its not asking for any connection

KIS has a prob of leaking IP's don't know when will they fix this issue

Regards

it seems i have to dump my dear..dearer...dearest Kaspersky in lieu of IDM. saddest day of my life.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I have Process Lasso already running on my system and hence use its capability of blocking executables. ^_^

I don't usually use anti-executable, so having a program specifically for that purpose doesnot make sense for me.

So if I m blocking it via gpedit, is it fool-proof ? or will it leak sumtym ? :o

Personally, I have Process Lasso already running on my system and hence use its capability of blocking executables. ^_^

I don't usually use anti-executable, so having a program specifically for that purpose doesnot make sense for me.

So if I m blocking it via gpedit, is it fool-proof ? or will it leak sumtym ? :o

GPEdit is fool-proof - was meaning to update the TeamViewer tutorial, sometime later.

"Reducing The Firefox Memory-hogging Dramatically"

(monitor post # 2 for all updates)

Before Reduction:

Spoiler

i2d9Bzb.png

After Reduction:

Spoiler

d17Tt2l.png

The Background:

Spoiler

The above illustration belongs on a Firefox which runs 15 add-ons, 5 plugins, 3 themes and 1 extension — some of those add-ons include Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and NoScript which are amongst the most notorious ones known to lag Firefox.

The Procedure:

Spoiler

The following process will not only reduce your memory — but, also your CPU resource-hogging:—

• Download Firemin (portable) from the homepage — I prefer the beta version since it possesses an additional feature and has been tested to be more effective.
  • Next, extract (unZip) the portable contents unto the directory of your choice and then run Firemin.exe (this is just a one time procedure.)
  • Finally, refer to the following illustration for a numerical guidance on my personal configuration:—

cGadMX5.png

Friendly Tip:

Spoiler

Navigate to the directory where you extracted (unZipped) Firemin and right-click the Firemin.ini file, then use "Open with Notepad" (or the Notepad alternative of your choice.) Ensure that the path to your Firefox.exe is correct if not, make the necessary changes.

In my own case the path had to be corrected since I use the x64-bit iteration of Firefox:—

[Firemin]
Launch=0
Boost=500
LimitEnabled=1
LimitClean=5
Karma=0
Profile=firefox.ini
Path=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Reducing The Firefox Memory-hogging Dramatically

(monitor post # 2 for updates on all tutorials)

When I first saw the screenshots, I expected it to be FireMin but I so didnot wanted it to be FireMin. :(

When I first saw the screenshots, I expected it to be FireMin but I so didnot wanted it to be FireMin. :(

How does that matter - especially so, when Firemin returns such dramatic results? lEMe01Z.gif

How does that matter - especially so, when Firemin returns such dramatic results? lEMe01Z.gif

Dramatic - indeed, one wonders what's going on in the background....

Maybe on your sys, u are not experiencing it....

but on low-mid system as mine, i see its effect. :blink:

@dcs18 Macrium Reflect v6's Rapid Delta Restore feature looks quite good,you may want to test it :)

Rapid Delta Restore (RDR)

Using advanced delta detection technology RDR can rapidly recover data from single, or multiple full backups. Cuts restore times by 90% or more.

Before Reduction:--

i2d9Bzb.png

After Reduction:--

d17Tt2l.png

The Background:--

The above illustration belongs on a Firefox which runs 15 add-ons, 5 plugins, 3 themes and 1 extension - some of those add-ons include Adblock Plus and NoScript which are amongst the most notorious ones known to lag Firefox.

The Procedure:--

The following process will not only reduce your memory - but, also your CPU resource-hogging:--

• Download Firemin (portable) from the homepage - I prefer the beta version since it possesses an additional feature and has been tested to be more effective.
  • Next, unZip the portable contents unto the directory of your choice and then run Firemin.exe (this is just a one time procedure.)
  • Finally, refer to the following illustration for a numerical guidance on my personal configuration:--

cGadMX5.png

Anyone tried SpeedyFox ?

Before Reduction:--

i2d9Bzb.png

After Reduction:--

d17Tt2l.png

The Background:--

The above illustration belongs on a Firefox which runs 15 add-ons, 5 plugins, 3 themes and 1 extension - some of those add-ons include Adblock Plus and NoScript which are amongst the most notorious ones known to lag Firefox.

The Procedure:--

The following process will not only reduce your memory - but, also your CPU resource-hogging:--

• Download Firemin (portable) from the homepage - I prefer the beta version since it possesses an additional feature and has been tested to be more effective.
  • Next, unZip the portable contents unto the directory of your choice and then run Firemin.exe (this is just a one time procedure.)
  • Finally, refer to the following illustration for a numerical guidance on my personal configuration:--

cGadMX5.png

Anyone tried SpeedyFox ?

That is only for Profile optimzation, it will not reduce the resource usage but is a good portable to have. :thumbsup:

Since i have the nightly, and it gets updated daily, i use it regularly to keep my profile folder healthy.

What i usually do after a update is to go to about:memory

and then click the free memory button options one by one, and then use speedyfox. ;)

gqBsPhV.png

I tried using my Process Lasso to block execution of mshta.exe, which works, but the ad still pops up. Why?

edit: I got it working by disallowing "*mshta.exe*" (without quotes) instead of c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe (which didn't work)

I tried using my Process Lasso to block execution of mshta.exe, which works, but the ad still pops up. Why?

Can u confirm you are talking abt the advertisement popup as mentioned in Post #1953

and not the sponsored session popup ???

just saw u edited ur post, glad it worked for u :)

btw dcs18 any way to hide the sponsored popup as well :naughty:

Dramatic - indeed, one wonders what's going on in the background....

What is going on in the background - would be interested to know? :dunno:

Please illustrate the effect - it has been working perfectly well for me (been using it since a few months - in a different, more advanced way.)

@dcs18 Macrium Reflect v6's Rapid Delta Restore feature looks quite good,you may want to test it :)

Rapid Delta Restore (RDR)

Using advanced delta detection technology RDR can rapidly recover data from single, or multiple full backups. Cuts restore times by 90% or more.

That sounds sweet! F3h9xqz.gif

While choosing backup/restore programs, I focus on reliability rather than time - nonetheless, the new RDR feature is something that I shall be certainly testing in the near future.

Just tried it on a Core-i5 and it is working awesome. ^_^

Preventing TeamViewer From Self-updating

It can be pretty disconcerting when TeamViewer decides to update itself, right in the midst of an important ongoing session - on the Client machine or even on the Administrator side.

Here is how I use Windows Firewall Control to prevent TeamViewer from dialing home to check for updates.

Please note - the configuration at the following graphic illustrations overrides the setting on the TeamViewer interface:--

Most firewalls would be able to block with a single rule - however, some firewalls like Windows Firewall / Control need two rules, one Allow & another Block:--

P6WC3dk.png

vjfQI4C.png

Is there a special need for this?

I mean Extra-Options-Advanced-Show Advanced Setting,

Check for new version-Never

Install new version automatically-No automatic updates

Preventing TeamViewer From Self-updating

It can be pretty disconcerting when TeamViewer decides to update itself, right in the midst of an important ongoing session - on the Client machine or even on the Administrator side.

Here is how I use Windows Firewall Control to prevent TeamViewer from dialing home to check for updates.

Please note - the configuration at the following graphic illustrations overrides the setting on the TeamViewer interface:--

Most firewalls would be able to block with a single rule - however, some firewalls like Windows Firewall / Control need two rules, one Allow & another Block:--

P6WC3dk.png

vjfQI4C.png

Is there a special need for this?

I mean Extra-Options-Advanced-Show Advanced Setting,

Check for new version-Never

Install new version automatically-No automatic updates

Yes, of course there is a need for this especially since Clients want to keep fiddling with those Options (this, on hundreds of business computers) - even my own family members and friends are no different (when using my own personal systems.)

However, firewalling is absolute and overrides the configuration/s (or rather misconfiguration/s) made at the Options - a firewalled TeamViewer cannot possibly self-update even if you (or someone else) have configured it to update itself on the Options settings.

Personally, I employ a multi-layer strategy . . . . . . . . . . . firewalling in conjunction with GUI configurations - additionally, I also deploy a lockdown policy on all programs (not limited to TeamViewer.)

First & foremost, the only change while testing was the installation of Firemin only, other factors remaining constant.

An option to Start Firemin when Firefox starts would have been handy too :yes:

Firemin Settings:

KlFJS3k.png

Test page 1 : //www.nsaneforums.com/topic/213113-what-are-you-listening-to-2/page-49&do=findComment&comment=900266

Without Firemin

(while Loading)

rujvmYw.png

(after loading finishes)

M0tbYOL.png

With Firemin

(while Loading)

nTtIgYG.png

(after loading)

HT0z0fm.png

Test Page 2 : http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/22774-Music-Video-Party-Share-your-favorite-music-here!/page1173?p=999809#post999809

Without Firemin

(whille loading)

DTKVokv.png

(after loading)

zcaSLtV.png

With Firemin

(while loading)

RrJZfe7.png

(after loading)

TLQnYhU.png

What is it that's using the hard disk all the time with Firemin :

voMbRcE.png

The above test pages were chosen because it is easier to notice the changes on these pages....atleast for me.

So, besides using our processing power, it is also using our hard disk and that too not only at the time of loading the page but continues even after it finsihes loading, so maybe it's continuously, writing some data off through whatever way it was built upon.

But the point, is with our processor(limited), this app also uses our hard disk (continous). Now i don't know but isn't it like causing wear-tear to my hard disk ? what about other processes that use hard disk like copy/pasting won't they be affected ? general lag may follow i guess in your hard disk responding to you.

Now it is very much possible that I am the exceptional case who is the only one to have this problem....

P.S. one more thing the process Plugin Container is not reduced in my sys everytym, it's inconsistent for me, sometym works, sometym doesn't

I don't see it on my system - which one is that?

This is an e.g of the sponsored session popup that comes up when one is done after the session

py4k4Nl.jpg

Firemin Settings:

KlFJS3k.png

True - have running my Firemin, manually.

Another alternative is to use the first option on the screenshot . . . . . . . . . Launch Firefox when Firemin starts - this is a workaround, though.

Now it is very much possible that I am the exceptional case who is the only one to have this problem....

Well, tried to replicate your environment - same 2 test pages on an extremely slow 85 Kbps internet connection loading and reloading a good number of times.

On my own Core-i7 Desktop and the Customer's Core-i5 laptop, could not reproduce your findings - mind you, both these machines (Windows 8.1 Update 3 Pro.) are in a fully configured state (the laptop is nearly ready for delivery.)

Tomorrow, I am expecting another Customer to drop-in with his Desktop for routine maintenance - shall be testing your observations . . . . . . . again on his lower-end AMD.

The only one thing which I could not replicate is the browser - your Nightly is completely different from the Firefox 36 Beta Build 10 which the rest of us are running.

In the meanwhile, let's also wait to see if anyone else has experienced what you noticed. yXZVmpE.gif

I don't see it on my system - which one is that?

This is an e.g of the sponsored session popup that comes up when one is done after the session

py4k4Nl.jpg

Ah, this pop-up is not encountered on any of the systems deployed by me - shall have to find out . . . . . . . . why. yXZVmpE.gif

First & foremost, the only change while testing was the installation of Firemin only, other factors remaining constant.

The above test pages were chosen because it is easier to notice the changes on these pages....atleast for me.

So, besides using our processing power, it is also using our hard disk and that too not only at the time of loading the page but continues even after it finsihes loading, so maybe it's continuously, writing some data off through whatever way it was built upon.

But the point, is with our processor(limited), this app also uses our hard disk (continous). Now i don't know but isn't it like causing wear-tear to my hard disk ? what about other processes that use hard disk like copy/pasting won't they be affected ? general lag may follow i guess in your hard disk responding to you.

P.S. one more thing the process Plugin Container is not reduced in my sys everytym, it's inconsistent for me, sometym works, sometym doesn't

No, you aren't the only one.

Have a look here, Go to the last comment at the bottom of the page :

AeRoSpaceman
February 18, 2015

Hello. I have a question about an issue I am seeing. I downloaded and ran your latest beta build 3977 on Win7 64bit FF 35.0.1 It’s really good at keeping FF memory usage down. FF does jump around the task manager wildly but that’s not my issue. After running I noticed that my HDD light is pretty much constantly flashing. It seems to be reading/writing what I don’t know but this concerns me. For safety sake I turned Firemin off as I would rather have FF eat memory than lose my HDD. Have you seen this before and have any clue what would be causing this? As soon as I exited Firemin the HDD light stopped going crazy. Thanks!

Aero

and the developer's response :

rizonesoft
February 10, 2015
I may be because the Firemin.ini file is not writable. Are you maybe running Firmin from the Program Files directory

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived