ESET General Discussion

shought

thanks for the advice DKT, I never tried disabling HIPS, mostly because I do not even know what it is, but I will give it a try. Since I shifted back to V4 it may be a while before I go back to 5, likely I will save up the suggestions from here and try them all at once, and report back.

Thanks again for your sharing

I sure hope this is the right place to post this question, if not I apologize in advance.

With ESET AV V5 installed Folder Lock V7 freezes when trying to open a vault, even after killing the application Folder Lock (using task manager) the process Folder lock will not go away, the computer hangs up and I cannot even use the restart feature (start>restart), I am forced to unplug the computer to get a restart.. When going back to ESET V4 everything works fine. With V5 installed my only option is to unplug the computer, because it gets so hung up nothing works, I cannot even kill the folder lock process using "kill process" in task manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times and have tried all the settings that I can see that may impact folder lock in ESET V5, but still the same problem exists. Using XP with the latest builds.

Does anybody have ESET V5 working with Folder Lock V7? Does anybody have any idea what setting in ESET V5 could be causing the issue since V4 works with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer.

Exactly which settings have you edited?

Eset should remove HIPS from it's solution for good, and provide an standalone version for those willing to spend time fixing and configuring things.

HIPS in ESET is quite retarded. :(

With HIPS disabled Folder Lock still did not work, and the behavior was the same as with HIPS enabled. very puzzling.

Thanks again for trying DKT.

Did you reboot after disabling HIPS? :think:

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

With ESET V5 installed I have disabled HIPS (and after reboot) and still Folder Lock would not open a locked vault. Which is very strange because the program works fine up until a vault is opened at which point it hangs up, and must be unplugged in order to reset the computer.

I also disabled the new drive check feature because I thought maybe ESET considered the new Folder Lock hidden drive a new drive and was trying to scan it, which I don't think it can because the drive is encrypted.

I also put the location of the folder lock vaults in the exclusions and the folder lock exe in the excluded section of protocol filtering.

I cannot remember which other settings I altered, But I tried to change everything that I understood.

Also I am using Comodo firewall (free), so I am not sure that the interaction of Comodo and ESET V5 is not the issue. I altered the configuration of Comodo to give full rights to the ESET programs that I could find (ESET is a trusted program, but still Comodo does not give full access, and that was causing some issues).

I cannot find any error messages that may indicate where the problem is and it seems that unplugging the computer to reset it, is a really bad idea. So any guidance anybody can lend along those lines would also be appreciated.

I uninstalled the versions of ESET using the uninstall that comes with the program, since I was not having problems with the installation I did not want to use the uninstall tool.

But since V4 always works, I do not see an issue with the installation.

Do you see a reason why the uninstall tool may be beneficial?

DKT: I never tried using folder lock with V5 disabled entirely, but with v4 installed it worked flawlessly. I will try this when trying to get V5 to work. After the computer hangs up I tried disabling Comodo and Eset and neither had any effect. The strange thing is When the computer hangs up the CPU is very low, it is just a process that gets locked up, I just cannot shutdown the computer. I can kill folder lock using the end application feature of task manager, but the folder lock process will not die, even when using the end process feature.

Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by cupster

I uninstalled the versions of ESET using the uninstall that comes with the program, since I was not having problems with the installation I did not want to use the uninstall tool.

But since V4 always works, I do not see an issue with the installation.

Do you see a reason why the uninstall tool may be beneficial?

It could be a corrupted registry file that sticks around after a normal uninstall. :dunno:

Knightmare, Thanks for the continuing guidance and sharing your knowledge, it is really appreciated. Unfortunately even after using the ESET tool the results were the same. ESET may not be the culprit, it could be the Comodo firewall responding differently to V5, I really do not even know how to tell what is hung up or why. ESET v6 should be out soon, maybe that will work.

Knightmare, Thanks for the continuing guidance and sharing your knowledge, it is really appreciated. Unfortunately even after using the ESET tool the results were the same. ESET may not be the culprit, it could be the Comodo firewall responding differently to V5, I really do not even know how to tell what is hung up or why. ESET v6 should be out soon, maybe that will work.

Try doing a clean boot and enable the startup processes one by one, testing Folder Lock each time you enable a program.

Thank you Knightmare, but I am pretty much a neophyte and your suggestion is a little beyond my understanding. I think I get what you are saying and I will try it and see what happens.

I do not believe ESET 6 is available in the US yet, but I may be wrong.

Thanks again for all your sharing and knowledge.

Thank you Knightmare, but I am pretty much a neophyte and your suggestion is a little beyond my understanding. I think I get what you are saying and I will try it and see what happens.

I do not believe ESET 6 is available in the US yet, but I may be wrong.

Thanks again for all your sharing and knowledge.

Clean Boot for Windows Vista, 7, and 8

Clean Boot for XP

• 2 weeks later...

trying my best to allow the TNod application by excluding they into the antivirus scan but failed. any idea how to fix this?

TNod has been added in both both antivirus exclusion and protocol exclusion listing.

This is a contiuation of a previous post regarding ESET v5 and folder lock, to update some information and to say the exact same situation occurs with v6, and there is some new information.

With ESET AV V5 & v6 installed Folder Lock V7 freezes when trying to open a vault, even after killing the application Folder Lock (using task manager) the process Folder lock will not go away, the computer hangs up and I cannot even use the restart feature (start>restart), I am forced to unplug the computer to get a restart.. When going back to ESET V4 everything works fine. With V5 & v6 installed my only option is to unplug the computer, because it gets so hung up nothing works, I cannot even kill the folder lock process using "kill process" in task manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times and have tried all the settings that I can see that may impact folder lock in ESET V5 & 6, but still the same problem exists. Using XP with the latest builds.

Does anybody have ESET V5 or v6 working with Folder Lock V7? Does anybody have any idea what setting in ESET V5 or v6 could be causing the issue since V4 works with no issues whatsoever.

The problem even occurred with both v5 & v6 DISABLED, now how can a disabled AV product impact the system, but sure enough it did, and going back to v4 everything works fine. Before disabling the entire product I also disabled HIPS, as suggeted in these forums, but still the same problem occurred. Another crazy thing is Folder Lock V7 seems to be the only application impacted, everything else appears to function fine.

I also use Comodo firewall, and the problem occurred with both Comodo and ESET V5 & V6 disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anybody can offer.

Edited by cupster

Please anyone could help regarding problem with ESET Smart Security 6.0.308.0 reversing installation on Window 8 x64.

I used ESET uninstall software in safe mode to remove previous version, cleaned registry, and install software that has been

downloaded from ESET site.

Every time installation stop with error, and reverse. I took ownership of all files I could think of, tried installation three time

and always getting this errors:

"Warning 1909. Could not create Shortcut ESET Smart Security.lnk.

Verify that the destination folder exists and that you can access it."

(It doesn't show which folder it is.)

After than there is installer information:

"This installer has encountered an unexpected error

installing this package. This may indicate a problem with

this package. The error code is 2902."

Thanks for any advice.

This is a contiuation of a previous post regarding ESET v5 and folder lock, to update some information and to say the exact same situation occurs with v6, and there is some new information.

With ESET AV V5 & v6 installed Folder Lock V7 freezes when trying to open a vault, even after killing the application Folder Lock (using task manager) the process Folder lock will not go away, the computer hangs up and I cannot even use the restart feature (start>restart), I am forced to unplug the computer to get a restart.. When going back to ESET V4 everything works fine. With V5 & v6 installed my only option is to unplug the computer, because it gets so hung up nothing works, I cannot even kill the folder lock process using "kill process" in task manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times and have tried all the settings that I can see that may impact folder lock in ESET V5 & 6, but still the same problem exists. Using XP with the latest builds.

Does anybody have ESET V5 or v6 working with Folder Lock V7? Does anybody have any idea what setting in ESET V5 or v6 could be causing the issue since V4 works with no issues whatsoever.

The problem even occurred with both v5 & v6 DISABLED, now how can a disabled AV product impact the system, but sure enough it did, and going back to v4 everything works fine. Before disabling the entire product I also disabled HIPS, as suggeted in these forums, but still the same problem occurred. Another crazy thing is Folder Lock V7 seems to be the only application impacted, everything else appears to function fine.

I also use Comodo firewall, and the problem occurred with both Comodo and ESET V5 & V6 disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anybody can offer.

Can you give step by step instructions of what you're trying to do? I don't see the word "vault" used anywhere in the program. PM instructions on how you have Folder Lock and ESET configured.

Edited by Knightmare