ESET General Discussion

shought

This thread is for general discussion about ESET and its features, this includes comments and questions related to any functionality of ESET.

If you have a very specific question it might be a good idea to create a separate topic, but most (if not all) questions will be reviewed by much more people and answered much sooner when posted in this topic.

Note: this topic is not for discussion of ESET Fixes, if you want to discuss ESET Fixes please go here: //www.nsaneforums.com/topic/130543-eset-fixes/

*Reserved*

ps if there is someone who would like to maintain this second post with the most common questions and answers then let me know by PM ;)

Got a BSOD during smart scan WITH "shut down after scan" enable. (wasn't home but that's the only thing i can think of causes it)

i did a full smart scan after that no blue screen.

any 1 ?

I am curious does ESS 5 is making bigger impact on system resources than 4 . I am not sure am i tripping but it seems that I have some system slowdowns after installing ESS 5.

web access protection seems to keep being non functional. anyone else and how you fix it?

I used purefix still the ESS 5 asks for username / password while updating. On forcibly updating ( by clicking on update link ) the ESS gui crashes :( .... I observed the same behaviour 3 4 times now. Samething happened with ESS 4 also. as anybody faced any such problem and overcame it ?

I used purefix still the ESS 5 asks for username / password while updating. On forcibly updating ( by clicking on update link ) the ESS gui crashes :( .... I observed the same behaviour 3 4 times now. Samething happened with ESS 4 also. as anybody faced any such problem and overcame it ?

i had to go F8m to enable the purefix

u mean to say u had to format ??? :(

ekrn.exe ( eset service) gone mad

use 99% cpu

back to v4

When egui.exe crashes, it tries to restart it. I could see in the processes the egui.exe but ekrn.exe won't start. Also the GUI can't be started.

-Ankur

What are your DEP settings? and I think he means he rebooted and installed in Safe Mode.. by Pressing F8.. any LSP/GP Settings written for the programs?

Edited by HX1

What are your DEP settings? and I think he means he rebooted and installed in Safe Mode.. by Pressing F8.. any LSP/GP Settings written for the programs?

I need to check @ home laptop. Will post then. What it should be ? Whats meant by LSP / GP Settings ?

Windows 7 and Vista too I think .. Have Local Security Policy and Group Policy settings.. Programmatic access and restrictions can be placed.. if you do not know what these are then most likely you don't have configurations for it..

Would seem that somewhere the EGUI will not run because it does not properly meet the file check.. possibly.. especially if its patched or altered.. like ... if an infection tried to piggyback in the code .. it would change file checksum.. size.. so on.. if design to only ever have one size and so on..plus possibly even certificate and verification... This is a guess however..

What version of Windows?

Edited by HX1

Windows 7 and Vista too I think .. Have Local Security Policy and Group Policy settings.. Programmatic access and restrictions can be placed.. if you do not know what these are then most likely you don't have configurations for it..

Would seem that somewhere the EGUI will not run because it does not properly meet the file check.. possibly.. especially if its patched or altered.. like ... if an infection tried to piggyback in the code .. it would change file checksum.. size.. so on.. if design to only ever have one size and so on..plus possibly even certificate and verification... This is a guess however..

What version of Windows?

I am using Windows Vista 32-bit with latest updates.

@PB : Any hints on the problem I am facing ? is the remedy the same as mentioned in readme file ?

-Ankur

I am curious does ESS 5 is making bigger impact on system resources than 4 . I am not sure am i tripping but it seems that I have some system slowdowns after installing ESS 5.

ESS 5 and EAV 5 are lighter than vers.4 - so maybe your slowdowns (assuming that previosly you haven`t any...) are most likely caused by a direct upgrade from vers.4 to vers.5 of ESET (have you installed ESS 5 over an existing ESS 4 ?? ) .

Everybody should remember that it`s allways a good ideea to clean the computer from previously Security Suites / or Antivirus that were installed - use manufacturer`s special uninstaller , after that delete the remnants folders and registry -> reboot - > ONLY AFTER THAT proceed to the new install of a new Antivirus / or Security Suite

The same care should be taken also with previously used fixes ...

PurplebeanZ didn`t write for himself the guide - instructions were written precisely to be read by users ... B)

Edited by AlienForce1

Be warned that installing ESS 5.0 or EAV 5.0 in another drive other than your system drive (C:\Program Files) will cause freezes to your computer. :frusty:

PS. Even on a clean install. :fear:

Edited by nanana1

If you would only read with more attention you could avoid a lot of problems and hassle :

nsane.down : ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.0.93.0 : Important: Before installing, we recommend uninstalling your current protection (including older versions of ESET software), to ensure a smooth transition. You can Export all your settings before you uninstall ESET.

ESET : Antivirus Software NOD32 > Download : Prior to installing ESET solution, it is necessary to completely un-install all other security products.

ESET Knowledgebase - Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software, KB Solution ID: SOLN146 , Last Revised: September 20, 2011 : It is important that any previously installed antivirus software is uninstalled from your system before installing your ESET security product. Typical uninstallation* using the Windows removal tool (Add/Remove Programs) is often insufficient.

Edit : there is also here , on nsaneforums , a topic about common antivirus uninstallers

Edit 2 : obviously , all fixes (for AV or SecuritySuite) used before must be removed first .

PurplebeanZ Instructions :

=================================================

== REMOVE ANY EXISTING FIXES BEFORE PROCEEDING ==

=================================================

Edited by AlienForce1

u mean to say u had to format ??? :(

[quote name='unknownasphyxiated'

no F8 mode to enable it to work

what is this quote timestamp?

The timestamp area or part is showing the time and date of the quote...Quote code by itself renders a simple quote which does not say who by or when.. Name adds the persons name your quoting.. and timestamp the time and date.. Looks like you have a little broken BBCode in your post however.. need o close some quotes somewhere or add the first quote part...( possibly at the beginning and close any open tags to get it to work..

web access protection seems to keep being non functional. anyone else and how you fix it?

same problem in windows 7 :frusty:

Posted Image

windows xp not problem

thank you. i think i unclick it to get certain microsoft updates to install.

UPDATE :

I uninstalled the Pure Fix to check the behaviour of ESS. To my surprise even that also crashed on manual ( forcible ) update. I didn't activate it using ( any ) mail id till then.

Then I uninstalled ESS completely from add/remove and also eset's uninstaller ( provided on site ). Then I activated using any email id and then tried to update manually. This time ESS didn't crash and updated properly. Now I rebooted in safe mode and applied Pure fix. Tried to update again. Working fine this time. Next check will be after 1 month ( The duration for which trial license is activated ).

Thanks goes to AlienForce1 for drawing attention towards the instructions in PureFixv2.02. ( Earlier I was using PureFix v2.01 and it didn't have instructions included :( ).

Also to PurpleBeanz for including the instructions.

Small suggestion PB : If you feel right also include this my problem in your txt as the same solution worked for me too.

Thank You Guys

-Ankur

Hello

glad to post here , i usualy visit long long time ago

i face a problem with eset AV v5 ,

used purefix 2.02 ,, and (Without) it same problem happen

windows 7 EN , arabic (supported)

when i open advanced setup GUI just crash ,, here is a pic,, after click Ok no other action could be done just close form taskbar , no any other action could be done

post-48302-0-96997000-1317011023_thumb.p

Edited by toyo
Use normal sized fonts, as specified in the rules.

Just curious, didn't anyone have problems after virus def 6494 update? ekrn.exe dropped to around 7,000k and then 2,000k mem usage. Couldn't open the the EAV 5 window and there was no right click options. A reboot sorted it out but just wondering if it effected anyone else.

Hello

glad to post here , i usualy visit long long time ago

i face a problem with eset AV v5 ,

used purefix 2.02 ,, and (Without) it same problem happen

windows 7 EN , arabic (supported)

when i open advanced setup GUI just crash ,, here is a pic,, after click Ok no other action could be done just close form taskbar , no any other action could be done

Have you tried to see if the crashes occur even without purefix install?