"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

There is a strange problem with PLP password, dear dcs18! After I rebooted the system, I would not configure PLP due to wrong password. I don't know whether it is still using your configured password or not?

Just login to nSane and refresh any page — you will see the solution before your eyes (please report back on this thread,if you don't .)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, how can i block ICMP Echo request with Windows 10 firewall? I use also WFC. When i try to create a new rule to block ICMP Echo request, when open again Windows Firewall advanced rules the rule previously created by me is disappeared. How can i do to resolve?

Do you want just the answer — or, do you prefer a full-fledged tutorial, instead? smile.png
I just wanna have stealth mode with GRC ShieldsUp. With WFC and Kaspersky firewall both failing test, because Echo ICMP reply failed. How can i do with both firewalls to have stealth results? Windows Firewall Control and KTS firewall. Thanks!

I am quitting on Windows Firewall Control (WFC) as I am about to beta-test for their competitor and may possibly not return — this is the reason, I am leaving a tutorial behind for the sake of others.

As for Kaspersky, don't have any idea since I don't have it on my system — hope you are not using both the firewalls in the same system (that can only bring you grief.) Also hopefully, someone else might be able to answer to that.

Meanwhile, stay tuned for the Windows Firewall Control (WFC) tutorial.

Obviously, i have only ONE firewall on my system ;) Now i have KTS. But failing stealth test, even blocking ICMP Echo. Any suggestion?

dtXCT8N.png

"A Leak-proof & Tamper-proof Windows Firewall Control (WFC)"

(monitor post # 2 for all updates)

The Objective:—

Spoiler

To configure Windows Firewall Control (WFC) for a tamper-proof and leak-proof experience without any noise (meaning absolutely zero pop-ups) and without using any hardware tweaks.

This new implementation also blocks Microsoft from intruding into your privacy (effective on any version of Windows especially relevant for Users of Windows 10.)

Please note, you can even use the Free Edition of Windows Firewall Control (WFC.)

The Backup:—

Spoiler

Before employing this implementation, you may want to backup, both — your existing Rules and your User Settings respectively, as follows:

nca2OvR.png

rqQO9tV.png

For a more comprehensive backup knowledge base, check out this post.

Profiles:—

Spoiler

Ensure that your Profiles section looks exactly like the following (4 pointers):

YIhvmdH.png

Notifications:—

Spoiler

Ensure that your Notifications section looks exactly like the following (3 pointers):

K7Y3Jjl.png

Options:—

Spoiler

This section was illustrated just as an example (for my red theme) — you need to exercise your own preference.

The color of the interface of Windows Firewall Control (WFC) can be matched to that of your Windows visual theme, you can use either the Slider/s or the Hex Color box.

Also, don't forget to enable Secure Rules (1 pointer):

L9mFGfg.png

Rules:—

Spoiler

Ensure that your Rules section looks exactly like the following (1 pointer):

0lw9vku.png

Tools:—

Spoiler

Leave the following section, at default — no change is required to be made:

ONMcZcw.png

About:—

Spoiler

Disable Windows Firewall Control (WFC) from calling home (1 pointer):

XkR7Lcz.png

The Changeover:—

Spoiler

Ensure you have backed-up your rules before deleting all existing rules through the Rules Panel using the following illustration:

51SRukm.png

Next, enable the Shell Integration temporarily as illustrated below to get the 2 Windows Firewall Control (WFC) context menus into your right-click (1 pointer):

BED6R8G.png

Creating Essential Rules:—

Spoiler

It is now time to create a few new rules for only those bare minimum programs which essentially need to be internet-connected just navigate to each installation directories right click the executable (check out the example of Firefox illustrated below):—

FmQHDrC.png

You may also want to create some allow Windows rules for some select Windows apps. such as:—

Core Networking - Teredo

Host Process for Windows Services (svchost.exe)

System (System)

Once you have allowed the chosen few programs access to internet-connectivity, you may disable the 2 Windows Firewall Control (WFC) context menus from your right-click, as illustrated below (1 pointer):

CkAia1L.png

Installing Online Portables:—

Spoiler

Check out this post.

End-user Deployment:—

Spoiler

For a tamper-proof experience, SysAdmins and even Advanced Users (or others whose system/s is/are shared) might prefer to take the following 3 precautions — illustrated in respective order:

1. Password-protect Firewall Control (WFC) — this should be done, at the end (for operational reasons,)
  2. Disable the program from being displayed as a System Tray Icon at the Notification Area, and
  3. Remove the 2 Windows Firewall Control (WFC) context menus from the right-click:

mCx0qw3.png

PCvoYWa.png

CkAia1L.png

Friendly Tip:—

Spoiler

Those who use a squarish or maybe a low-resolution monitor (and also, those who conduct a lot of TeamViewing sessions — even if, on a wider screen) might enjoy a better work-flow, with faster productivity by reducing the number of columns at the 'Manage Rules' section of Windows Firewall Control (WFC) . . . . . . as illustrated below:—

Click the following image for the bigger picture:—

kMEqoEv.png

As you know, you have not allowed Chrome browser to be runned by PLP. I tried to remove both chrome.exe and chrome_launcher.exe from the blacklist by GUI but nothing happens and after restarting PLP both of them are at that place again. Chrome can't be launched. But if I clear the mentioned .exe names from .ini file, chrome works. Is this just for me or a bug?

As you know, you have not allowed Chrome browser to be runned by PLP. I tried to remove both chrome.exe and chrome_launcher.exe from the blacklist by GUI but nothing happens and after restarting PLP both of them are at that place again. Chrome can't be launched. But if I clear the mentioned .exe names from .ini file, chrome works. Is this just for me or a bug?

Yep, you are right — Chrome is blacklisted on my system/s (you will have to re-configure all the apps & programs of your choice.) :)

Better to use the list instead of the GUI — list takes instant effect.

Farewell, Windows Firewall Control (WFC) — you lasted longer on all my systems . . . . . . . than any other firewall (time to play with the competition.) uu0vOfR.gif

Farewell, Windows Firewall Control (WFC) you lasted longer on all my systems . . . . . . . than any other firewall (time to play with the competition.) uu0vOfR.gif

And what replaces WFC?

Farewell, Windows Firewall Control (WFC) you lasted longer on all my systems . . . . . . . than any other firewall (time to play with the competition.) uu0vOfR.gif

And what replaces WFC?

It is a well-kept :secret:

And what replaces WFC?
It is a well-kept :secret:
You can keep the suspense on btw as I do not have any windows ATM.

I rather have an android query. The camera folder named DCIM has another sub-folder named .Tumbnails. It has occupied 2.05 GB of my phone memory for which the phone is giving low memory warning continuously. I tried deleting it and the deletion process shows success too but the folder (with inside contents weighing 2.05 GB) comes back again. So how to deal with it?

I rather have an android query. The camera folder named DCIM has another sub-folder named .Tumbnails. It has occupied 2.05 GB of my phone memory for which the phone is giving low memory warning continuously. I tried deleting it and the deletion process shows success too but the folder (with inside contents weighing 2.05 GB) comes back again. So how to deal with it?

Untested:—

https://www.mediafire.com/download/npty5kcdd3kaws6/Thumbnail_File_Deleter.rar

Untested:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/npty5kcdd3kaws6/Thumbnail_File_Deleter.rar

Not working ?

And what replaces WFC?

Replaced Windows Firewall Control (WFC) and Process Lasso Pro, with COMODO Firewall.

And what replaces WFC?
Replaced Windows Firewall Control (WFC) and Process Lasso Pro, with COMODO Firewall.
So you are back to old school again?

And what replaces WFC?

It appears more Kindergarten than old school.

Was returning to COMODO after a really really long time and find that they have unnecessarily complicated the program and bloated it. COMODO is branded a standalone firewall — however, it is far from standalone.

Contracted a massive headache after attempting to create my rules, it permits the User to enter only one IP at a time — unlike WFC where Users can simply use a copy-paste of hundreds of IPs on one, single rule . . . . . . . . . . in one, single action (this clears what we could never understand; why there is no illustration on the IDM tutorial.)

Another drawback is that one cannot extract & create a rule directly from the logs.

The same issues apply to even the other COMODO modules, such as HIPS, SandBox, etc., etc.

Post-installation . . . . . . . . on my maiden COMODO run, I made the mistake of configuring it without letting the installer reboot a few times and it took me an eternity to boot to Desktop — however, not a single task could be undertaken as the kernel was not being allowed to load fully (no matter how many times I rebooted the system.)

Finally, restored to an Acronis image created just before installing COMODO, re-installed it again, allowing it to boot the system a number of times and since then have been busy with nothing else but configuring the damn thing.

Despite the best of my efforts Windows 8 Manager managed to call home and deactivate itself — the fault though was mine, for creating a faulty rule. But then again, that is exactly the point.

In a sentence, the world's most effective firewall-cum-HIPS program, COMODO has been now rendered unintuitive by its Makers. :(

And what replaces WFC?

Was returning to COMODO after a really really long time and find that they have unnecessarily complicated the program and bloated it. COMODO is branded a standalone firewall however, it is far from standalone.

Contracted a massive headache after attempting to create my rules, it permits the User to enter only one IP at a time unlike WFC where Users can simply use a copy-paste of hundreds of IPs on one, single rule . . . . . . . . . . in one, single action (this clears what we could never understand; why there is no illustration on the IDM tutorial.)

Another drawback is that one cannot extract & create a rule directly from the logs.

The same issues apply to even the other COMODO modules, such as HIPS, SandBox, etc., etc.

Post-installation . . . . . . . . on my maiden COMODO run, I made the mistake of configuring it without letting the installer reboot a few times and it took me an eternity to boot to Desktop however, not a single task could be undertaken as the kernel was not being allowed to load fully (no matter how many times I rebooted the system.)

Finally, restored to an Acronis image created just before installing COMODO, re-installed it again, allowing it to boot the system a number of times and since then have been busy with nothing else but configuring the damn thing.

Despite the best of my efforts Windows 8 Manager managed to call home and deactivate itself the fault though was mine, for creating a faulty rule. But then again, that is exactly the point.

In a sentence, the world's most effective firewall-cum-HIPS program, COMODO has been now rendered unintuitive by its Makers. :(

Damn, sounds like you lost some weight. Well, that's good for you.

Now what - forward to WFC & PLP again??

And what replaces WFC?

Was returning to COMODO after a really really long time and find that they have unnecessarily complicated the program and bloated it. COMODO is branded a standalone firewall however, it is far from standalone.

Contracted a massive headache after attempting to create my rules, it permits the User to enter only one IP at a time unlike WFC where Users can simply use a copy-paste of hundreds of IPs on one, single rule . . . . . . . . . . in one, single action (this clears what we could never understand; why there is no illustration on the IDM tutorial.)

Post-installation . . . . . . . . on my maiden COMODO run, I made the mistake of configuring it without letting the installer reboot a few times and it took me an eternity to boot to Desktop however, not a single task could be undertaken as the kernel was not being allowed to load fully (no matter how many times I rebooted the system.)

Despite the best of my efforts Windows 8 Manager managed to call home and deactivate itself the fault though was mine, for creating a faulty rule. But then again, that is exactly the point.

In a sentence, the world's most effective firewall-cum-HIPS program, COMODO has been now rendered unintuitive by its Makers. sad.png

Damn, sounds like you lost some weight. Well, that's good for you.

Now what - forward to WFC & PLP again??

Right now, my COMODO is fully configured — this took up almost an entire day of my life. Everything is working dandy — yes, it is more effective . . . . . . . largely due to the fact that I now have more options at auditing executables than I had with Process Lasso Pro.

However, with every rule in place using a minimalist approach and after having disabled all non-essential modules, the impact on the system and on the Windows startup lag is definitive and easily perceptible — this, on a perfectly & comprehensively tuned rig, fueled by a Core-i7 (it would impact a lower-end hardware more adversely.)

After balancing and measuring the mileage derived, drop-for-drop and juice-against-juice, I might have to switch back to my early security preference — the compelling reason being that COMODO cannot be deployed since all the settings are finely finger-printed specifically to the machine on which the configurations were originally carried out.

Friendly Tip:

Those who use a squarish or maybe a low-resolution monitor (and also, those who conduct a lot of TeamViewing sessions — even if, on a wider screen) might enjoy a better work-flow, with faster productivity by reducing the number of columns at the 'Manage Rules' section of Windows Firewall Control (WFC) . . . . . . as illustrated below:—

Click the following image for the bigger picture:—

kMEqoEv.png

Obviously, i have only ONE firewall on my system ;) Now i have KTS. But failing stealth test, even blocking ICMP Echo. Any suggestion?

dtXCT8N.png

if my memory servers me correctly there is a problem in kaspersky firewall, those (kaspersky) people used to stealth all the ports but that setting giving some user (especially for gamers that gives hard time to them so,) problem in version 8 or 9 i do not know correctly, so basically they solved the problem through kept some ports in closed condition not in stealth condition, any way you want test this fact go to their forums check for firewall stealth problem there you will find more arguments on this point.

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived