ESET V4 Support / Problems / Questions

shought

• Replies 584
  • Views 90.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Buddies.....

I'm using XP Pro SP3, and installed ess 4.0.417.0.

I'm running uTorrent and had no trouble at all with any program, except Mozilla Thunderbird - In advanced Setup>Antivirus and antispyware>Email client protection>POP3POP3S>Email clients, if I have Thunderbird checked.... it fails to start. I have to uncheck it to Thunderbird starts over.

Do you think there is any security issue in having it unchecked?

I've already searched in wilders anda someone singed this issue, but I don't find a solution...

Any suggestion, please?

All my best

Just to give you an added sense of security in addition to what was mentioned b4 by kotaxor. You can untick all the email clients and still feel safe. I guarantee all major email servers incorporate their own antivirus at the server level so no need to have overkill protection at the client level. Granted some of them may be using weak AV programs but they are enough to get a decent job done, in fact in all my years of using emails I have never received a virus except the ones I sent to myself to test certain cases. If you are wondering the regular virus inside zip file was detected and deleted by the server, the only way it came though was when I put a password on it. Hence you should not worry unless your friends send you a file with password and tell you to run it :angry: .

How to shut up V4 from nagging about the 'State Of The OS' and/or 'Windows Updates?'

1. Right click your NOD32 tray icon

2. Click 'Advanced setup...'

3. Perform the following steps as per the following illustration:-

Posted Image

ps: {The above mentioned 'Solution' on countering V4 nagging is tested only on Win XP Pro (so don't nag me if you're on Vista - that's not my fault.)}

How to shut up your 'Windows Security Center' from nagging you about your V4

This nag can arise from the following circumstances:-

1. Outdated 'signature database'

2. Disabled 'Real-time file system protection'

3. Disabled 'Antivirus and antispyware protection'

4. Uninstalled Antivirus, etc. etc.

There are 2 basic solutions

Solution # 1 (credits Bizarre™)

1. To change your 'Services' - click 'Start' then 'Run' type 'services.msc' before jabbing 'Enter'

2. Change the 'Security Center' status from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'

(If you don't fancy disabling the 'Windows Security' services due to reasons best known to yourself, the following solution is for you.)

Solution # 2 (credits LeetPirate)

1. Click 'Start'

2. Click 'Control Panel'

3. Double Click 'Security Center'

4. Get your popcorn as you enjoy the following illustration:-

Posted Image

ps: {The above mentioned 'Solutions' on neutralizing the Windows nagging are tested only on Win XP Pro (so don't nag me if you're on Vista - you know whose fault it is.)}

Hello Buddies.....

I'm using XP Pro SP3, and installed ess 4.0.417.0.

I'm running uTorrent and had no trouble at all with any program, except Mozilla Thunderbird - In advanced Setup>Antivirus and antispyware>Email client protection>POP3POP3S>Email clients, if I have Thunderbird checked.... it fails to start. I have to uncheck it to Thunderbird starts over.

Do you think there is any security issue in having it unchecked?

I've already searched in wilders anda someone singed this issue, but I don't find a solution...

Any suggestion, please?

All my best

Just to give you an added sense of security in addition to what was mentioned b4 by kotaxor. You can untick all the email clients and still feel safe. I guarantee all major email servers incorporate their own antivirus at the server level so no need to have overkill protection at the client level. Granted some of them may be using weak AV programs but they are enough to get a decent job done, in fact in all my years of using emails I have never received a virus except the ones I sent to myself to test certain cases. If you are wondering the regular virus inside zip file was detected and deleted by the server, the only way it came though was when I put a password on it. Hence you should not worry unless your friends send you a file with password and tell you to run it :D .

Thank you very much!

Appreciated your explanation very much!

nsane rules!

All my best! :frusty:

How To Overcome Your Signature Database Update Issues:-

If you continue to face update problems:-

1.) Clear the update cache

2.) Reboot

3.) Connect to the net and try the manual update, now.

Clearing Your Update Cache

Posted Image

hi people!

Dont know where to post this but it seems like you know alot about eset. I´m currently running ESET.NOD32.Antivirus.v4.0.417.English.x64.Business.Edition. it works great with boxmara 1.1. But theres one thing. I cant watch youtube. cant reach the site at all. It works with IE but not with FF. It does work with FF if i disable web access protection. This problem only shows up with the version i mentioned above, Not version 3. Any suggestions what to do?

Add YouTube to the 'List of addresses excluded from filtering.':-

1.) Right click the NOD32 tray icon and click 'Advanced setup...'

2.) Select 'Address management' under the 'Web access protection' tree

3.) Select 'List of addresses excluded from filtering'

4.) Click 'Add' and enter the YouTube address that you're unable to access.

4.) Don't forget to tick 'List Active' & 'Notify when applying address from the list'

5.) Click 'OK' to save and exit

Add YouTube to the 'List of addresses excluded from filtering.':-

1.) Right click the NOD32 tray icon and click 'Advanced setup...'

2.) Select 'Address management' under the 'Web access protection' tree

3.) Select 'List of addresses excluded from filtering'

4.) Click 'Add' and enter the YouTube address that you're unable to access.

4.) Don't forget to tick 'List Active' & 'Notify when applying address from the list'

5.) Click 'OK' to save and exit

Doesnt work............got the same resault as before. Cant access the site

IE works all the time, but FF doesnt.............

If IE works but Firefox doesn't, your issue isn't related to ESET V4.

Please troubleshoot your issue by elimination:-

1.) Check whether your firewall is blocking YouTube

2.) Check whether you have misconfigured a proxy server within Firefox

Your issue can be caused by any one or even a combination of the above 2 points.

Your issue can be caused by any one or even a combination of the above 2 points.

well...........i uninstalled version 4 and installed version 3 again and youtube worked fine............so i installed version 4 again and youtube was gone again.

i tried to put youtube in the list in version 4 with the notifier but the notifier only shows when i use IE and youtube. I use IEtab in FF and youtube works in that

well...........i uninstalled version 4 and installed version 3 again and youtube worked fine............so i installed version 4 again and youtube was gone again.

i tried to put youtube in the list in version 4 with the notifier but the notifier only shows when i use IE and youtube. I use IEtab in FF and youtube works in that

Confusing, like what Bizarre said, remove and reinstall Firefox.

1.) What firewall are you running?

2.) What addons are you using with Firefox?

3.) Can you post the following screenshot of your system.

Posted Image

What is the exact error you receive when trying to access youtube?

What is the exact error you receive when trying to access youtube?

it depends on witch adress i use in FF. If i write youtube.com in the adressbar i got a white page with this text "Http/1.1 Internal Server Error " up in the left corner. See picture.

Posted Image

The other page that shows up from time to time is this one

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7246/servererror2.jpg

Posted Image

1.Im running comodo firewall

2.i have a few, is there one you know that might be a problem?

Posted Image

This picture is a fresh install...........havent touched anything in eset when i took this screenshot

even if all my addons is inactive it didnt help

even if all my addons is inactive it didnt help

Internal server error sounds like it's an error at the TCPIP.sys level caused by a firewall. Software firewalls just redirect all traffic to an internal proxy server (a file in ram) which can potentially cause mega slowdowns and all sorts of problems, especially if you have more than 1. Each firewall is just bumping the traffic from 1 buffer in memory to another, useless rubbish. Eset already filters traffic so that's already 1 internal proxy but v4 works with lower level drivers than v3 so there could be conflicts with other software. However I don't really understand why it only blocks youtube and nowhere else. If you are on a broadband connection then try disabling the windows DNS Client service because you only benefit from that on dial up. Remove al traces of adobe flash plugin files and reinstall the latest version. Delete your hosts file too. Try removing your firewall software one by one till you see a difference.

Do me a favour, see if you can access http://www.metacafe.com/. If you also cannot access metacafe then there is a problem with adobe flash plugin or you probably have some sort of video helper application to manipulate flash videos on websites, possibly to download them faster or save them to hdd? I can't call names because there are many video accelerators and helpers out there, you need to allow it also in eset else it you will get this problem. And while you at it, clear the adobe flash player cache. Yes the flash plugin stores a cache that is separate from your browser cache. Click here and read the instructions, delete all websites from the cache.

Got this from Mozilla: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...parentId=186189

You should probably try it.

thanks everybody=)........now its working=)

Glad to hear it's working now. Just a comment though and not to be taken the wrong way, I hope people see the importance of stating the exact error they receive instead of saying "it's not working". It certainly helps when trying to search around for the solution. I could probably guess that Bizarre™ may have found the solution faster if he had this information before. <_<

Cheers.

Hello to everyone!

I have problem with ESS 4.0.417. It's blocking the search suggestions in Firefox 3.0.3. I'm using Vista Ultimate SP1 with all updates and the ESS is configured to allow connections from Firefox.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Archived