ESET V4 Support / Problems / Questions

shought

LeetPirate

Oh, man.

You are thinking like me. I'm still running v.417 until things smooth out.

Do you think the specific SP2 problems might be related to running the COMPCLN installation cleanup .exe after the SP2 install? This might explain why some of the NOD32 uninstall\reinstall issues exist after the SP2 install. I have run the command on my system.

chrisTM out.

Well I installed from an MSDN Vista SP2 disc so SP2 was already integrated by Microsoft in my installation, I didn't need to run the clean up tool. Nevertheless I did routine windows updates after the installation, even put on IE8 and stuff but I can't narrow it down to what exactly caused the problem. All I know is that NOD32 started screwing up and MBAM also didn't want to load when I double click the icon, it kept saying it's already running and refused to load the gui. I had to remove NOD32 and MBAM then reinstall them both. You should put the latest NOD32, its running better I think.

• Replies 584
  • Views 90.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have ESS 4.0424.0 installed and use nodlogin 9.9c. Today my license expired = Maximum protection is not ensured and since nodlogin hasnt changed the license I tried starting it manually but it said all was fine when it clearly isnt... what can I do?

Maybe you like to try MiNodlogin, has been using it for months without any problem... :)
------------------------------------------------------------

NodLogin 9.9c working fine. Just there was some delay to insert new Username and Password.

I know all about MinNODLogin, it works but I prefer NodLogin.

I have ESS 4.0424.0 installed and use nodlogin 9.9c. Today my license expired = Maximum protection is not ensured and since nodlogin hasnt changed the license I tried starting it manually but it said all was fine when it clearly isnt... what can I do?

Maybe you like to try MiNodlogin, has been using it for months without any problem... :)
------------------------------------------------------------

NodLogin 9.9c working fine. Just there was some retard to insert new Username and Password.

I know all about MinNODLogin, it works but I prefer NodLogin.

To each their own!

Oh, man.

You are thinking like me. I'm still running v.417 until things smooth out.

Do you think the specific SP2 problems might be related to running the COMPCLN installation cleanup .exe after the SP2 install? This might explain why some of the NOD32 uninstall\reinstall issues exist after the SP2 install. I have run the command on my system.

chrisTM out.

Well I installed from an MSDN Vista SP2 disc so SP2 was already integrated by Microsoft in my installation, I didn't need to run the clean up tool. Nevertheless I did routine windows updates after the installation, even put on IE8 and stuff but I can't narrow it down to what exactly caused the problem. All I know is that NOD32 started screwing up and MBAM also didn't want to load when I double click the icon, it kept saying it's already running and refused to load the gui. I had to remove NOD32 and MBAM then reinstall them both. You should put the latest NOD32, its running better I think.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. Uninstall/install, or install on top of to retain settings?

Now there is a problem with Adaware AE. It will not update because of a a previously known connection error problem that I had not experienced until SP2 was installed. I should have known...

chrisTM out.

White.Socks

HI @ ALL

i have a question , yesterday i installed ESET 4.0.437 all fine so far.... and used a key from NOD123 worked out ok too... but this morning

it said ur license expired 29/05/2007

then i used NOD LOGIN 9.9 and now its blue again instead of red (the ESET tray icon)

but under protection status is nothing written hoiw long the license is valid ?

i saw many screens and on every screen theres a license expire date written but not for me ?

USING WIN 7 7137 x86

PICTURE :

Posted Image

HI @ ALL

i have a question , yesterday i installed ESET 4.0.437 all fine so far.... and used a key from NOD123 worked out ok too... but this morning

it said ur license expired 29/05/2007

then i used NOD LOGIN 9.9 and now its blue again instead of red (the ESET tray icon)

but under protection status is nothing written hoiw long the license is valid ?

i saw many screens and on every screen theres a license expire date written but not for me ?

USING WIN 7 7137 x86

PICTURE :

Posted Image

It will appear upon reboot.

hi guys. i'm using eset nod32 4.0.437.0. my antivirus just out of a sudden scanning my system by itself and it's hogging the work i'm doing. i know it's scanning when i clicked Protection status->Statistics. I can see the antivirus is scanning files in the scanned object field.

anyone knows how i can disable this? it's just scanning my whole hard disk without me knowing and it's hogging the work i'm doing. everything is so slow, even opening the browser, winrar, etc. there's also no button to stop the scanning.

how do i disable this? anyone please help. thanks.

White.Socks

yeah u were @ KOTAXOR

now something diffrent, NOD LOGIN 9.9c got me a license thats valid until 7/09/2009

isnt there a way to get a license that valid until 2015 i.e ?

or is that just pure luck

Hi everyone,

I have problem when install ESET V4, now I could not remove/repair/reinstall NOD32, because it just gave me the same error like "could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ESET/ESET Security/ Current Version/info" whatever I did.

Here are what I did when installing:

1. There was 3.0.672.0 version in my system, and I "fixed" it using software like "ESET fix.exe", then it was always reporting 31 days left for trial after the fix, and could update the virus database. But since last month, it failed to update the virus database although "31 days left for trial" still shown (ask for user/pass). Don't know why.

2. I then downloaded package 4.0.437, and fist I installed this new version by overwriting the previous one (I now realize that I should have unfix the previous fix first, but at that time, I could not find the previous package and I also did not know there was a unfix specifically for the old version).

3. After install the new version and fix it (I knew I should have unfix the old version first, but as I said above, I was just confused at that time), and I found the version info was still 3.xx instead of 4.xx (because the new installation could not change that the key in registry), then I thought there was something wrong, so I decided to uninstall NOD32 and reinstall.

4. I deactivated the self-defense, unfixed the new version, and then uninstalled it.

5. I tried to reinstall the 4.0.437, but I found that it actually had not been removed from the system, as it just gave me two options during installation: "Repair" and "Remove", and whatever I chose, I just got the error "could not open key..." and then exit.

6. I finally found the previous unfix, but it gave the same "could not open key..." error when execute.

7. I tried to execute the unfix for 4.0.437, but it indicated "Self-defense active", I could not change the setting because the NOD32 just disappeared (exit) when I clicked any button on it (it could still be launched).

8. I tried nod32 removal tool, but not helpful.

9. I used regedit, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > ESET > ESET Security > Current version > Right-click 'Info' > Permissions > Advanced>Owner, and tried to tick the option "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", it is said I can have full control by doing this, but I got "Access is denied".

So frustrated, I think one key point is how I can regain the full control to that key in registry, looks like that key was "protected" by fix software.

Will appreciate any comments and help.

Ah, you're the guy from Mininova :)

mara- will most likely be able to find a solution to your problem :) If not then I'll have a shot at it, again, using TeamViewer, but first let's see if mara- has some smashing ideas, after that we'll talk about TeamViewer.

yeah u were @ KOTAXOR

now something diffrent, NOD LOGIN 9.9c got me a license thats valid until 7/09/2009

isnt there a way to get a license that valid until 2015 i.e ?

or is that just pure luck

The u/p comes from Uliessoft, no way to have a valid license until 2015!

Your existing license can be updated when the time comes!

hi guys. i'm using eset nod32 4.0.437.0. my antivirus just out of a sudden scanning my system by itself and it's hogging the work i'm doing. i know it's scanning when i clicked Protection status->Statistics. I can see the antivirus is scanning files in the scanned object field.

anyone knows how i can disable this? it's just scanning my whole hard disk without me knowing and it's hogging the work i'm doing. everything is so slow, even opening the browser, winrar, etc. there's also no button to stop the scanning.

how do i disable this? anyone please help. thanks.

Go to the scheduler and re-schedule it to maybe once a week.

Bizarre™

@excite:

Try the nod32 removal tool on safe mode, then reboot and re-install nod32.

@excite:

Try the nod32 removal tool on safe mode, then reboot and re-install nod32.

I had tried this, but did not help, looks like nothing could remove the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ESET/ESET Security/ Current Version/info" in the registry.

I just tried "Combofix.exe", which created a log file after running, and in that log, that key was identified as "LOCKED REGISTRY KEYS", thinking to upload the log file to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html to see if anyone there can help.

@excite

Is there a service running in 'services.msc' called Eset fix or something like that?

If there is...stopped it and remove it.

@excite:

In addition to what kotaxor mentioned, some registry keys require you to seize permissions before you can delete them. You may have to take ownership or full permissions on all the sub keys in the path you want to delete too. You might also need to use the "run as administrator" feature in vista.

best of luck.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

@kotaxor

I checked the service in 'services.msc', there was one named ESET service, but not started.

@LeetPirate

I think I tried to regain the full control to the key: I used regedit, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > ESET > ESET Security > Current version > Right-click 'Info' > Permissions > Advanced>Owner, and tried to tick the option "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", but I got "Access is denied". I also used "run as administrator" feature for almost every action.

@Bizarre

Yes, I tried manually removing ESET registry keys in safe mode, but did not work.

Good News! I finally figured out how to seize the full permission to the registry key:

1. With the offending registry key highlighted, right click and select Permissions’ from the menu

2. In the Permissions tab, check that your name or administrator appears in the “Permissions entries” block

3 If it doesn’t, click ADD and type in your name (or search in the Advanced window) and click OK.

You can remove the service by going to the registry:

HKLM>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>"Whatever name the service you want to delete"

and reboot!

Clean your registries with a reputable registry cleaner and re-installed Eset again.

All should be fine then.

Thanks kotaxor, any suggestions on the registry cleaner?

jv16PowerTools

jv16PowerTools is the hype nowadays.

I would've preferred RegSupreme Pro, but it's long dead and gone.

P.S.

It's not that I hate PowerTools Lite :)

jv16PowerTools is the hype nowadays.

I would've preferred RegSupreme Pro, but it's long dead and gone.

P.S.

It's not that I hate PowerTools Lite :)

Oh yea, I forgot about the Lite version. I don't even use the other features so the Lite version is very good for me as well. On my system I compliment it with Auslogics BoostSpeed that has a registry cleaner in it and I also compliment that with Comodo Registry Cleaner. Don't confuse the Comodo Registry Cleaner for the newer Comodo System Cleaner, the system cleaner can destroy your PC if you click the wrong things. Ok it won't destroy your PC but it will do things you could cry about like deleting your resume data for all your torrent files and when you open uTorrent you notice your 99 torrents in the list are all gone and you have to add them all back manually. I just think the system cleaner tries to delete things it should not in an effort to seem more useful than competitive applications but it really ends up being a nuisance.

@LeetPirate:

Comodo System Cleaner could indeed prove disastrous if used by novice users.

Its most problematic option is Use REGISTRY PROTECTION... it f*cks the system up!

The next thing you see when you boot up...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system

Archived