"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

5 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Question. I would like to do a clean install of W10 on it without the preloaded bloat? You recommend that?

ATM, Windows 10 is the fastest and most secure Windows — on the flip side, it's the most unforgiving OS which makes it unsuitable for deployment and also the most intrusive one from the privacy point-of-view (this one is easily overcome, though.) Another little point — it does have backward incompatibility with a few apps. & programs. I believe Windows 10 has not yet seen it's hey day.

The 8.1 is quite secure and also faster than Windows 7 — it has excellent backward & forward compatibilities and is suitable for deployment. In the right hands, it can be made to look as good as Windows 7 — my own copy looks better than Windows 7 (you've seen and even handled it.)

Windows 7 is the least secure amongst the 3 Operating Systems being pointed out — it has excellent backward compatibility and good forward compatibility. Personally, I'd never allow this OS on any of my hardware due to the step-motherly treatment meted out by Microsoft.

All that having been said, what's good for me won't necessarily be good for others — deployment takes the highest precedence in my list of preferences.

5 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Also do you recommend I install some, if not all of the HP apps mentioned here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05315774#AbT1

Personally, I'd never use any of the bloatware from the manufacturer.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Some people might say that it lacks the SSD, but as you know that SSD is still not very much the standard in our country.

For a SSD, I like laptops which ship with two bays from the factory — that makes it ideal for the User to enjoy an SSD along with the HDD (however, such laptops are not available in the smaller display range.)

For the 15.6, one can still replace the primary HDD with an SSD and connect the HDD (after encasing it) as a logical drive, via USB — this is more suitable for a laptop which is gonna be stationary. If one intends though, to move the laptop quite a bit, then this option may not make sense.

32 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

For a SSD, I like laptops which ship with two bays from the factory — that makes it ideal for the User to enjoy an SSD along with the HDD (however, such laptops are not available in the smaller display range.)

This dual bay is present in this one.

It's just that the SSD bay is empty.(that's what I gathered from the discussion)

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Envy-x360-M6-aq105dx/td-p/5862992

Not really sure though but that's what I gathered from the discussion.

Most of them are from outside India so they are just installing SSD but I have seen some posts in that thread mentioning about dual disk together.

Right now SSD is not a priority. But definitely on the agenda.

1 minute ago, dcs18 said:

Was the memory configuration (16 GB x 1) or was it (8 GB x 2)

16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

4 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Is the display glossy or matte?

Not sure :s Will look up and tell. But it's not a deal-breaker for me. Any specific issue?

It's the very first factor I look into — matte screens minimize the glare from the background and also reflections (very important for folks who spend a long amount of time in front of their screens.) :)

Just now, dcs18 said:

It's the very first factor I look into — matte screens minimize the glare from the background and also reflections (very important for folks who spend a long amount of time in front of their screens.) :)

I knew about the sunlight thingy but this is new.

Will look it up to see what it is on this laptop.

I discovered this when I used my first allotted laptop (as a salaried employee) in a regular office — used to have a tough time squinting into the screen with the windows behind me and the glare on the glossy screen. :(

Have never had to use these adapters — isn't the RJ45 Ethernet port available on your new laptop?

24 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Yes, this seems to be the most popular one, as far as reviews are concerned — the other one is a slower 2.0.

24 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Or, if you got any other in mind. :rolleyes:

I liked this one — but, it's expensive.

5 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Have never had to use these adapters — isn't the RJ45 Ethernet port available on your new laptop?

Nope like I said it's an INTL model, and they are mostly wifi dependent so no ethernet port. But I knew what I was getting. And I had prepared my option.

Yes, this seems to be the most popular one, as far as reviews are concerned — the other one is a slower 2.0.

The other one is also a USB 3.0 one with backward compatibility. But yes the reviews of quantum one seems to be better, finalize this then or you want to have second review now?

7 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

I liked this one — but, it's expensive.

I'm well equipped in terms of USB ports, so that's not a concern. And like you said it's slightly on a higher side.

3 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Nope like I said it's an INTL model, and they are mostly wifi dependent so no ethernet port. But I knew what I was getting. And I had prepared my option.

In that case does your new laptop have a Thunderbolt port — by some providence (long story) I have one and its speed is phenomenal when compared to USB 3.0 (theoretically, it's said to be faster than even USB 3.1.)

In case your laptop does have a Thunderbolt port, it'd make far more sense to opt for a Thunderbolt to RJ45 adapter, instead of USB to RJ45.

9 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

In that case does your new laptop have a Thunderbolt port — by some providence (long story) I have one and its speed is phenomenal when compared to USB 3.0 (theoretically, it's said to be faster than even USB 3.1.)

In case your laptop does have a Thunderbolt port, it'd make far more sense to opt for a Thunderbolt to RJ45 adapter, instead of USB to RJ45.

It has a hybrid kind of USB3 and Thunderbolt USB port like shown in the extreme right of this image: Toshiba-Satellite-Click-2-Pro-P30W-BST2N

But it's not a traditional thunderbolt port, is it?

Hmm . . . . that looks like Thunderbolt C, to me.

That ain't gonna work right? Back to USB to RJ45?

p.s. Gonna break for dinner now.

That could work — I'm exploring the options whether it's better to allot extreme speed to the Ethernet or to file transfer.

• Matrix locked this topic

Archived