"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shifted it here because it maybe going off-topic as per that thread.

Just now, dcs18 said:

Oh, no . . . . . . never — the 57 is hideous (have already tried it.) :blink:

Besides, I lose many enhancement options due to the CTR incompatibility.

Hideous in what terms?

CTR is dead. Why not shift to beta channel? Atleast it gets update for v56.

The UI of the V57 fails to match the existing cosmetic standards with the V56 Nightly — actually, there is not even one single department in which it's better-looking.

To add fart on top of the shit — some of the pimping of this site wouldn't be possible, without CTR.

v58 will be coming in two weeks time. Even beta channel would shift to v57 in that time. So basically that would leave you on an outdated v56 probably worse than the stable release at that time. :(

Even if the browser grows outdated my security policies would ensure that it's always ahead of the new releases.

8 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

The UI of the V57 fails to match the existing cosmetic standards with the V56 Nightly — actually, there is not even one single department in which it's better-looking.

To add fart on top of the shit — some of the pimping of this site wouldn't be possible, without CTR.

v57 shifted from australis tab to the back rectangular tabs so that's what majority prefers.

The black/dark GUI is awesome.

Can you give a couple of examples(just 1 or 2) to show the element or pimping possible exclusively through CTR?

6 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Even if the browser grows outdated my security policies would ensure that it's always ahead of the new releases.

Sadly for us, the firefox tutorial/guide was never published( :naughty: ), hence out of choice or lack of it, we have to update. :P

As a mere example, the following visual tweak is not possible unless one uses CTR — as for the tweak itself, most folks (understandably) don't like the red color but given my limited time browsing the site, it's a very useful accent which prevents repetition:—

On 8/27/2017 at 2:07 PM, THORN said:

- red highlight is fine with white background but not with blue background

4 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

As a mere example, the following visual tweak is not possible unless one uses CTR — as for the tweak itself, most folks (understandably) don't like the red color but given my limited time browsing the site, it's a very useful accent which prevents repetition:—

The final result expected is like it is on your screenshot or the one after taking into consideration Thorn's view?

How many CTR rules took you to configure that part only? (The red active primary nav, the red secondary nav and the red breadcrumb)

One single CTR rule for all the red portions that you can see on my screenshot — remember, this was the most simplest of examples. ;)

Ok

Is this what we are aiming for?

cp3pvEp.png

Don't go into the detail aspect(that can be configured too), just look at the broader thing here. Are we getting there or we are on a different page?

but, I doubt we're on the same page. yXZVmpE.gif

Hmmm, why you say so? You want the inactive tabs to be red too or what is it, the font-style or what?

My personal browsing preference at any site is to have all forms of links automatically changing to red after I click the same.

2 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

My personal browsing preference at any site is to have all forms of links automatically changing to red after I click the same.

Aha, now I got you.

My limited knowledge doesn't have the answer to that query. :(

Now, as I mentioned — this was just the simplest of examples (let's complicate it just a bit.)

After a while, one of the Admins. will start pimping the site (they will be forced to) — then, you'll find them including the !important to all of their CSS edits (at User level, this causes elevation issues — that is when CTR comes useful.)

Moreover, some sections of the Firefox UI can only be pimped through CTR.

Now, as I mentioned — this was just the simplest of examples (let's complicate it just a bit.)

1)After a while, one of the Admins. will start pimping the site (they will be forced to) — then, you'll find them including the !important to all of their CSS edits (at User level, this causes elevation issues — that is when CTR comes useful.)

2)Moreover, some sections of the Firefox UI can only be pimped through CTR.

Can handle the first one if I want(through adblocker alone) but not the second one.

If an Admin. decides to introduce a CSS at the root — it can become a nightmare to handle.

However, it's not about whether that can be handled or not — the larger point is beauty and function should go hand-in-hand without having to be re-calibrated every time an Admin. decides to change something on the server.

I don't mind investing a bit of my time, initially — but the fruits of those efforts should be durable and long-lived (lasting at least until the next major upgrade.)

Yes, that's true.

This forum alone, if at all anything that bothers me right no is the issue of too much brightness but as I read DKT will be doing something about it, so it's all OK for me and if he doesn't I'll do it myself. :lol:  :cheers:

4 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Yes, that's true.

This forum alone, if at all anything that bothers me right no is the issue of too much brightness but as I read DKT will be doing something about it, so it's all OK for me and if he doesn't I'll do it myself. :lol:  :cheers:

For me, apart from the glaring brightness, the prime problems with the site are:—

• Absence of contrast
  • Incorrect color combinations
  • Loss of precious vertical real estate
  • Absence of color-coded aids
  • Loss of the third dimension

Awesome! 8N3udPP.gif

So . . . . we now have Core i7, modern RAM sticks with a  higher MHz cycle, great integrated graphics, a higher rpm HDD, well-sized display, Wi-Fi with 5 GHz capability and a modern 3.1 compatible port. g4ZwQYe.gif

Hmmm . . . . . . HP ENVY x360 — I envy you (didn't know that HP had such nice models in their stable.) F3h9xqz.gif

41 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

So . . . . we now have Core i7, modern RAM sticks with a  higher MHz cycle, great integrated graphics, a higher rpm HDD, well-sized display, Wi-Fi with 5 GHz capability and a modern 3.1 compatible port. g4ZwQYe.gif

Thanx for the follow-up.

Some people might say that it lacks the SSD, but as you know that SSD is still not very much the standard in our country. Others will say could have got one with a better graphic card - but I just don't play that heavy load games or games at all now. I could have got those things but then I would have to compromise on the processor(downgrade to i5 6th or 7thgen) or on the Ram (8GB DDR4 or 12-16GB DDR3).  I was sceptical a bit because of HP and it's heatness issues over the years, so let's see how that part pans out.

Question. I would like to do a clean install of W10 on it without the preloaded bloat? You recommend that? Also do you recommend I install some, if not all of the HP apps mentioned here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05315774#AbT1

• Matrix locked this topic

Archived