"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

As for my configuration there is no chance of misconfiguration as i always keep clean images...

A clean image is undeniably at its most mis-configured state because it is not as per personal preference - but, as per Microsoft dictats.

I have a Customer coming in with his system to rectify this particular issue of Regular Maintenance hogging prime resources. I shall be having a hands-on opportunity to check out what I have configured differently on my system for my Regular Maintenance to remain disabled without having its task to be deleted.

Let me know if you are interested - if yes, I would take the effort to publish the same here.

Thanks dcs18 please keep me updated :)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@dcs18 i belive the culprit is maintenace configurator service ..... its by design of microsoft that these services are re enabled.... i believe....maintenace configurator service cannot be disabled......

Just waiting for the Customer to turn-up - here is what you can expect:--

dsi0UpC.png

Disabling The Tasks Within Task Scheduler Completely

Whythis.png

:why: :( :( :(

1. Open Windows Explorer and browse to \Windows\System32\Tasks
  2. When you click on the Tasks folder you'll receive a permission error stating you don't have permission to access the folder. Click the Continue button now continue and browse to \Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler
  3. Right click the Maintenance Configurator listing, select Properties, select the Security tab and click the Advanced button
  4. Click Change next to the Owner: listing
  5. In the Select User or Group type Users in the box and press the Check Names button
  6. Click OK three times to close all windows.
  7. Right click the Maintenance Configurator listing for a second time, select Properties and click the Security taband click the Edit button to change permissions
  8. Select Administrators and check Full control under the Allow column
  9. Click OK, click Yes on the security warning you receive that you are about to change permissions settings on a system folder, next click OK to close the Maintenance Configurator properties window

Now you can right-click the Maintenance Configurator task in Task Scheduler and select Disable. You will now be able to disable the Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance tasks without Windows re-enabling them.

Had first executed this tweak about 5 years ago and almost forgot all about it - had to see a clean Windows before me to draw the cross-reference on the how to do it, part. :P

Eset Smart Security on my PC suddenly expired. Any suggestion? :(

What fix were you using?

What fix were you using?

Ip's blocking.

I'm inserting new keys right now and will find out if it will solve the problem after restart.

What fix were you using?

Ip's blocking.

I'm inserting new keys right now and will find out if it will solve the problem after restart.

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/222515-prevent-idm-other-programs-from-dialing-home/page-87?do=findComment&comment=857595

Damn, after VoodooShield broke my Windows Firewall Control - had to reconfigure all my custom rules from scratch following a full, clean re-install.RL8WwPy.gif

Yeah, that app was a bad nightmare.

Damn, after VoodooShield broke my Windows Firewall Control - had to reconfigure all my custom rules from scratch following a full, clean re-install. RL8WwPy.gif

What happened to your Acronis' backup images? :o :o :o

Damn, after VoodooShield broke my Windows Firewall Control - had to reconfigure all my custom rules from scratch following a full, clean re-install. RL8WwPy.gif

U want that backup of WFC RULEs u gave it to me on that day? on teamviewer

Regards

What happened to your Acronis' backup images? :o :o :o

U want that backup of WFC RULEs u gave it to me on that day? on teamviewer

Regards

Do have my backups in both forms - full system image and WFC rules, as well.

However, wanted to start-off WFC on a completely fresh slate with a brand new implementation that has helped me get rid of more than 600 rules - oh boy, this new implementation makes my new copy quite slim and swift.

Hello, everyone.

Congrats for the excellent job with IDM!

Very good job!

There is another threads here about Directory Opus.

Opus 10

and

Opus 11

Unfortunately, DOpus 11 remains still unbreakable and somebody says it is now a kind of virus, that changes user system files and things like this.

Because the current topic is talking about Calling Home, Firewall, ..., I ask:
Anybody here have a plan to prevent DOpus 11 for calling home using Firewall, Acrylic DNS proxy or whatever?

Or we can assume that DOpus is unbreakable until now?

Because the current topic is talking about Calling Home, Firewall, ..., I ask:

Anybody here have a plan to prevent DOpus 11 for calling home using Firewall, Acrylic DNS proxy or whatever?

Hello Gabarito,

Unfortunately, I do not use Directory Opus and hence have no idea on the activation algorithm used by its Authors.

Any application or program which depends on a server check to have its activation blacklisted, can be prevented by the use of a firewall. Others have their activation check/s built into their programs and cannot be blocked by any firewall.

That having been said, if anybody using Directory Opus wants to give it a shot - I suggest blocking explorer.exe (C:\Windows\explorer.exe) completely, just as a try.

The new DO 11, modifies explorer and I think Firefox, to add modules that call home. A used Agitum Outlook to monitor it, but it was too much trouble. Yes I said it behaved like a virus since it is modifying other software. However , the reset works fine. Actually, I use Directory Opus 9.5, it works perfectly, just prevent calling home.

Unfortunately, I do not use Directory Opus and hence have no idea on the activation algorithm used by its Authors.

dcs18, why don't install and give a try to Opus 11?

Having seen all you could do to IDM, ESET and others, you would be the best choice to challenge that program. Install and see. It's only 28 Mb.

The new DO 11, modifies explorer and I think Firefox, to add modules that call home. A used Agitum Outlook to monitor it, but it was too much trouble. Yes I said it behaved like a virus since it is modifying other software. However , the reset works fine. Actually, I use Directory Opus 9.5, it works perfectly, just prevent calling home.

As I thought, it changes system files and behaves like an intruder.

I also use version 9.5, but 11 actually has many others improvements.

Please, go back to Agitum Outook and tell us if you could know more about the way to block it.

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived