"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

43 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

one has to essentially use the Browse for executable

That's not true atleast on my end.

Infact, if you see that Adguard post clearly, right below the screenshot you have quoted, I have shown the Add Applications screenshot too ^_^ 

https://i.imgur.com/vDoHNHP.png

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a fresh installation, the Add Application option is of no use as Internet Download Manager (IDM) is not detected, by default.

IDM is being detected on your Adguard only because you had already browsed to the location of its installation directory . . . . . long ago — I noticed that it's not detected since I've started deploying the same (to beta-testers.) ;)

Also, my observation is based on the latest beta (6.2.379.1984) — FWIW once IDMan.exe is located using  the Browse for executable... option, Internet Download Manager (IDM) becomes available for the Add selected button (as also shown on your screenshot.)

3 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

On a fresh installation, the Add Application option is of no use as Internet Download Manager (IDM) is not detected, by default.

IDM is being detected on your Adguard only because you had already browsed to the location of its installation directory . . . . . long ago — I noticed that it's not detected since I've started deploying the same (to beta-testers.) ;)

Also, my observation is based on the latest beta (6.2.379.1984) — FWIW once IDMan.exe is located using  the Browse for executable... option, Internet Download Manager (IDM) becomes available for the Add selected button (as also shown on your screenshot.)

I suspect PLP as culprit, because Adguard searches for installation exe in your PC when you open Add Applications window which PLP maybe blocking.

BTW have never used the browse for executable myself. ;)

Nope, it's not Process Lasso — most of the other programs are being detected, not IDM.

There's also a possibility that earlier Adguard versions might have been able to detect IDM.

Just now, dcs18 said:

Nope, it's not Process Lasso — most of the other programs are being detected, not IDM.

There's also a possibility that earlier Adguard versions might have been able to detect IDM.

It could also be because its already in your AG backup file config.

Disable and remove IDM from your filtered app section and then backup the AG file, now see what result it produces in Customer's PC ;)

The backup/restore comes into play far far after the installation, isn't it — moreover, by now I've deployed to dozens of clients.

You can try a clean re-install to check for yourself.

I'm also pleased with Adguard, It covers almost everything. Even with programs that need to block in host file, I do it on Adguard.

May I know gentlemen what is your user filter? Fanboy's Ultimate List seems not to work, maybe because of incompatible format perhaps...

knowledge-Spammer
20 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

I suspect PLP as culprit, because Adguard searches for installation exe in your PC when you open Add Applications window which PLP maybe blocking.

BTW have never used the browse for executable myself. ;)

CpWz_003.png

10 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

You can try a clean re-install to check for yourself.

Tried a clean install of latest Adguard right now.

Default settings without restoring backup > IDM detected in Applications window.

Restored backup, IDM was already added in the filtered apps list.

@knowledge Thank you buddy :cheers:

9 minutes ago, vhick said:

May I know gentlemen what is your user filter?

User Filters are totally dependent on the end consumer. It's very much like the My Filters tab in uBlock.

It is to be created by you yourself based on the sites you visit, the preferences you would like on those sites,etc.

:)

7 minutes ago, knowledge said:
CpWz_003.png

6 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

@knowledge Thank you buddy :cheers:

You've illustrated an older version:—

CTxHgzB.png

@dcs18 I can only say that you can yourself see it in my PC if you want, but I'm not lying. Those findings I just posted are of a clean install.

The point is not about lying or saying the truth — on a tutorial, we need to look into all kinds of eventualities (others may not necessarily see the same thing depicted on our screenshot, we need to factor for that possibility.)

Just now, dcs18 said:

The point is not about lying or saying the truth — on a tutorial, we need to look into all kinds of eventualities (others may not necessarily see the same thing depicted on our screenshot, we need to factor for that possibility.)

But I have done the testing before and even right now I did it when you said to try on a clean install. The results have been similar till now.

I already added info about that alternative point to go for Browse for Exe to factor any contingency. But it simply isn't happening on my end. :(

This is the reason why Internet Download Manager (IDM) is not detected — by default, there's one prior step:—

LYOI0W9.png

Just now, dcs18 said:

This is the reason why Internet Download Manager (IDM) is not detected — by default, there's one prior step:—

Again, this is not required in my setup.

Try a clean install — if you want to see a demonstration (the client's Lenovo is still untouched — you may perform the installation, yourself via TeamViewer right now, if you wish.) B)

2 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Try a clean install — if you want to see a demonstration (the client's Lenovo is still untouched — you may perform the installation, yourself via TeamViewer right now, if you wish.) B)

Ok let's see it.

1 hour ago, Undertaker said:

User Filters are totally dependent on the end consumer. It's very much like the My Filters tab in uBlock.

It is to be created by you yourself based on the sites you visit, the preferences you would like on those sites,etc.

:)

Ops! sorry, my bad. Let me rephrase. I mean your ad filters gentlemen

Thank you :)

12 hours ago, vhick said:

I'm also pleased with Adguard, It covers almost everything. Even with programs that need to block in host file, I do it on Adguard.

May I know gentlemen what is your user filter? Fanboy's Ultimate List seems not to work, maybe because of incompatible format perhaps...

11 hours ago, vhick said:

Ops! sorry, my bad. Let me rephrase. I mean your ad filters gentlemen

Thank you :)

For whatever reason/s, people seem to prefer a heavy dose of the subscriptions Lists and some folks even use all of those available Filters — they probably are under the impression that their browser runs quicker with a maximum number of Lists.

While it's true (to a certain extent) that Filters can speed-up browsing, that depends purely on the kind one decides to use and also their relevance. They don't realize that they surf hundreds of sites whereas their browser has the burden of loading thousands of (useless) Filters

Personally, I prefer to run nothing but my own custom User Filters — hence my browser needs to load only those few Filters which are strictly relevant to the sites that I visit on a regular basis. Also, I ignore cosmetic Filters and rely more on Network Filters.

Maintaining a few custom User Filters is also more convenient and educative — I keep optimizing and prioritizing mine. My idea of an ideal (but initially risky) implementation is to start with one basic single Block filter that would make all sites nearly unusable and then start crafting my Allow filters for sites which are regularly visited.

• Matrix locked this topic

Archived