Windows 7 testing

bearoninternet

@mara-

My experience with Windows 7 RTM have been very good, with only some small issues. I have tested both 32-bit and 64-bit for a few weeks each.

I have noticed others having problems editing videos on Windows 7, I doubt your using an editing program which is Windows 7 ready? I know Adobe and Sony products are currently having issues.

Good:

My WEI rating has gone up for everything:

*Memory was 4.3 in Vista 32-bit, now its 5.4!, Gaming graphics was 5.9, now its 6.1, Other scores only small improvements. (Win7 32-bit).

*Start-up time is much quicker, probably about 50% over Vista

*Shutdown time is about 14 seconds, give or take 1 second. Much quicker than Vista.

*Memory usage gone down from 1.2GB idle to 750 idle with mostly the same programs installed. (Windows 7 32-bit).

*I only needed to install 1 driver myself (Graphics driver).

Bad:

*Windows live messenger comes up when I minimise some programs without me even clicking it.

*Norton internet security 2010 beta (17.0.0.115) didn't close its services when I shut my pc. I contacted a developer at Symantec a few days ago. They have acted fast and released an update today (version 17.0.0.119) which I confirmed solves the issue. Good work Symantec!

*Stupid Internet connection icon has white bars on the bottom right! White bars?

*Some software still not 7 ready, (USB Safely Remove, Sandboxie, Firefox (fully), some others...

*Start-up/Shutdown/other sounds are still the same, how disappointing, folder icons also same.

Overall:

Only some software still doesn't work. My most important do so it's all good. I just wish Microsoft focused on the details as well like the sounds scheme. 9/10 from me! :rolleyes:

• Replies 330
  • Views 23.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that it works for you. But, I'm not using nothing from Sony or Adobe. I'm using tools like: PgcDemux, MuxMan, VobBlanker... They are maybe not Windows 7 ready, but they did not cause any problems in Vista, so it should work fine in 7, since it uses same kernel. But, it's not just video processing. When I burn DVD with Nero, same thing happens, but then again, it's not probably Win 7 ready. You mentioned WML. I also have problem with it. Every thime I shutdown computer, I get message to Force shutdown of WLM or to wait until it close, which will most of the time not happen, and I have to click on Force.

Also, I doubt that hardware is a problem, since my global score is 5.8. Score for processor and RAM memory is 5.8, Graphic is 5.9, Gaming graphic is 6.4 and Hard Disk is 5.9, what should be more then enough to get Win 7 going fast and smoth, since this is enough to keep Vista going fine for me.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience.

Anyone else?

Cheers ;)

My experience says that I shouldn`t be a :fool: and use a new OS earlier that one year after it`s release. I still use WinXP Pro

SP3 and have no intention to start a new one before the end of 2010 or maybe later...(with the help of my Dog) .

Guys, remember Windows 7 isn't released to the public yet. So companies have till then (the 22th) to finish everything.. =]

I'm having some probs with Photoshop + Itunes (if run together..) But that's pretty much it. :)

Guys, can you share your experience with Windows 7 RTM. Unfortunately, I have pretty much bad experience. Win 7 is definitely faster then Vista in boot and shutdown, but other things looks bad. First thing, I can not run almost any of the games in full screen, if that game does not support my native resulution of monitor. Picture will not strech completelly. This is probably nVidia driver problem. But, this is small issue. Here are the two biggest problems I have

You need to download and install the latest Nvidia drivers, open up the Nvidia control and adjust your resolution from there.

I had this problem with the old driver which don't allow me to adjust the resolution, but the new one does.

Good luck!

Guys, can you share your experience with Windows 7 RTM. Unfortunately, I have pretty much bad experience. Win 7 is definitely faster then Vista in boot and shutdown, but other things looks bad. First thing, I can not run almost any of the games in full screen, if that game does not support my native resulution of monitor. Picture will not strech completelly. This is probably nVidia driver problem. But, this is small issue. Here are the two biggest problems I have

You need to download and install the latest Nvidia drivers, open up the Nvidia control and adjust your resolution from there.

I had this problem with the old driver which don't allow me to adjust the resolution, but the new one does.

Good luck!

I have the latest available drivers. It's sems that it is somehow problem with refresh rate. It is set to 59Hz, when it should be at 60Hz. nVidia mentiones this in known issues. But, anyway, I'm buying new motherboard, so I'll install Vista again, and I'll wait untill Seven is officialy out, to be exact, I'll probably wait until most of my applications get's Seven ready.

Cheers ;)

I also read about Nero having problems with Windows 7. So that could be an issue also. I only have programs which are Windows 7 ready, I am currently waiting for USB Safely Remove, Sandboxie, Firefox to fully support Win7.

Ok, as you guys probably know that I am having serious issues with Win7x64 with BSOD especially with scanning with NAV2009. I believe I have just solved the problems.

1. DO NOT assume that the chipset drivers that came with Win7 is the latest. The Intel x48 chipset was released (2008) before Win7 RTM. So I assumed that MS had put the latest one in Win7, but that was not the case. I had updated every drivers to the latest version but I did not do the chipset. I just did not understand why I had no problem with VistaX64 but so many BSOD in Win7x64. I finally looked at the Win7 chipset drivers and it was dated 2006. I even installed the latest Intel chipset drivers but Win7 did not update. So I updated them manually, then started Win7 in Safe Mode, installed the chipset drivers again and then reinstalled all the drivers. Now, I did a full system scan with NAV2009 and no BSOD.

Ok, as you guys probably know that I am having serious issues with Win7x64 with BSOD especially with scanning with NAV2009. I believe I have just solved the problems.

1. DO NOT assume that the chipset drivers that came with Win7 is the latest. The Intel x48 chipset was released (2008) before Win7 RTM. So I assumed that MS had put the latest one in Win7, but that was not the case. I had updated every drivers to the latest version but I did not do the chipset. I just did not understand why I had no problem with VistaX64 but so many BSOD in Win7x64. I finally looked at the Win7 chipset drivers and it was dated 2006. I even installed the latest Intel chipset drivers but Win7 did not update. So I updated them manually, then started Win7 in Safe Mode, installed the chipset drivers again and then reinstalled all the drivers. Now, I did a full system scan with NAV2009 and no BSOD.

Right...even the Nvidia driver is not the latest from Windows Update.

I am torn. Which is better?

An ATI graphic driver update via Windows Update that is not the latest but has a Windows Experience Index score of 6.4/6.4.

or

The latest ATI graphic driver from ATI but has the Windows Experience Index score of 5.9/5.1.

An ATI graphic driver update via Windows Update that is not the latest but has a Windows Experience Index score of 6.4/6.4.

or

The latest ATI graphic driver from ATI but has the Windows Experience Index score of 5.9/5.1.

Windows Experience Index is bullshit, you can change the Index score to 9.9/7.9 as in Vista, if you want!

Use the latest driver if it does not cause any problems.

I have come across situation where the latest driver cause plenty of problem, finally revert to old driver.

Has anyone tried flashing their BIOS to SLIC2.1 to activate Windows 7, instead of using the loaders?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Read Windows 7 Fixes Topic ( @Kotaxor did it)

Yea....flash 3 computer in fact....to slic 2.1.

One is a self assemble pc (now become MSI OEM), one a compaq presario desktop and a friend hp compaq. :w00t:

No l*ader or cr*ck needed to activate.

All working and activated with Windows 7 Ultimate.

or

Windows Experience Index is bullshit, you can change the Index score to 9.9/7.9 as in Vista, if you want!

Use the latest driver if it does not cause any problems.

I have come across situation where the latest driver cause plenty of problem, finally revert to old driver.

Yes, I figure out that much. I just didn't want to face up to the truth. So far, Win7 is stable now and doesn't crash while during a full virus scan. The last step is to update the ATI drivers. I have to manually update the ATI drivers in Safe Mode so I don't get the BSOD.

Has anyone tried flashing their BIOS to SLIC2.1 to activate Windows 7, instead of using the loaders?

Ya Icey I was also able to flash my bios to SLIC2.1 also.

I flashed my BIOS on two motherboards and works like a charm. I modified BIOS personally for both motherboards (ASUS).

Cheers ;)

Need to know if anyone using Windows7 (64 bits) and ESET with NodEnabler v.3.2.3 found bugs, like Int.Explorer crashing...(?)

PLEASE REPORT AT " ESET V.4 Fixes" TOPIC.

One Member said this and would like the confirmation.

Thanks

Jofre

well....it has been 2 days and no one has a problem with NodEnabler (latest version) not working in 7.

so it must be working well for them or no one is using the latest version. :think:

Downloaded it @ homepc. (the newest Nodenabler..) and it's working great. No problems what so ever,.. :)

Downloaded it @ homepc. (the newest Nodenabler..) and it's working great. No problems what so ever,.. :)

--------------------------------------------------

Question was about x64 OS System, WinSe7en and NodEnabler 3.2.3. Is it your case ?

Question was about x64 OS System, WinSe7en and NodEnabler 3.2.3. Is it your case ?

Yes.. :)

Yes.. :)

------------------------------------------------------

Excellent !

No more doubts. Works on all systems.

Have a nice week-end ...and thanks for the information.

Jofre

If it wasn't for the GUI in Win7, I would have stayed with Vista. I got my Vista64 to boot in 45 seconds and rock solid. In Win7, it takes 60 seconds. Vista takes less time because it doesn't wait for the desktop to completely finish loading. I see my desktop while other programs continue to load. In Win7, I don't see my desktop until everything is loaded. The one nagging problem that I have is the BSOD with Win7. I strongly believe that it is not Win7 but a bad Intel SATA drivers that causes conflict with NAV2009 during a full scan. When I enabled write caching on any hard drive, I get BSOD with "Uncorrectable Hardware Error". :frusty:

Well, I'm back on Vista, and everything is fine and works great. I will wait until 22 October, and maybe for few hotfixes for Win 7, and then I'll try it again. Hopefully, all applications that I use will Win 7 compatible by then, and hopefully I'll not have problems I had last time.

Cheers ;)

Archived