Windows 7 testing

bearoninternet

Oh 7022!

I couldn't find a (x64) version out there yet, but I think I'll go grab the (x86) ver. at least.

Thanks Lee for the heads up. Been so busy testing I didn't even think to check for spilled verions. I guess I was waiting for it to auto update :) :P

32-bit has leaked only. I wouldn't expect a 64-bit version, maybe with 7032.

Windows never auto-updates. :frusty:

• Replies 330
  • Views 23.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh 7022!

I couldn't find a (x64) version out there yet, but I think I'll go grab the (x86) ver. at least.

Thanks Lee for the heads up. Been so busy testing I didn't even think to check for spilled verions. I guess I was waiting for it to auto update :) :P

Windows never auto-updates. :frusty:

yeah, what was I thinking?

I tell you what I was thinking, They want us to help test it for free, give us the updates so we can test them. Oh well.

I'm getting 7022 x86 now.

Did you just install over 7000 or did you have to do a clean install?

Oh 7022!

Thanks Lee for the heads up. Been so busy testing I didn't even think to check for spilled verions. I guess I was waiting for it to auto update :lol: :wut:

Windows never auto-updates. ;)

yeah, what was I thinking?

I tell you what I was thinking, They want us to help test it for free, give us the updates so we can test them. Oh well.

I'm getting 7022 x86 now.

Did you just install over 7000 or did you have to do a clean install?

Although it's generally recommended to do a clean install between builds, I upgraded over 7000. I'll do a clean install when they release RC/Final.

bearoninternet
Although it's generally recommended to do a clean install between builds, I upgraded over 7000. I'll do a clean install when they release RC/Final.

Did somebody find a changelog?

I'll just wait for official release if there will be any.

I think version .7032 will be soon there (some small fixes) & / or the RC :doh:

hxxp://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/11/windows-7-build-7032-screenshots-leak

2/17/09 Testing Updates in my Post here

Just another update. VMWare works well, this is the first time I have used it, and it is a very intuitive program.

Thinking to myself last night, "I could have been using this to make virtual PC's, instead of wiping and re-installing OS's on both of my real PC's... D'oh!"

I feel like Dr. Frankenstein "It's Alive!, it's Alive!" ah hell who am I kiddin', I feel like that anyway.

A friend of mine at work is "supposedly" a beta tester for MS, not a public beta tester like myself,. I talked to her yesterday, and she is going to check to see what build she is on and give me an image of her current build in (x64) flavor. I am hoping it is 7032 or better, but one can only hope.

She also gave me some tips on getting Acrobat 9.0 working on Windows 7 (x64). How she described the process, I am not sure I want to go through all that, it involved installing Vista, then clean installing W7 over Vista, to have the drivers from vista x64.

That is what I call a dirty install, and I'm not fond of doing that, too much junk is left over from Vista in that process.

After work tonight, I am going to give Acrobat another shot or two. I know I can get it to work properly. It's just a matter of patience and luck :ph34r:

I checked out MapleStory on the website. and I might try testing that over the weekend, but it looked too damn cute. I don't want to get hooked on another game, my little one already has me hooked on playing Pokemon with her.

I'll just tell myself, "It's for testing purposes, Helping out the community, only for testing." <-- yeah right.

----------------

Now playing: The Killers - Human (Ferry Corsten Radio Remix) (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunes

A friend of mine at work is "supposedly" a beta tester for MS, not a public beta tester like myself,. I talked to her yesterday, and she is going to check to see what build she is on and give me an image of her current build in (x64) flavor. I am hoping it is 7032 or better, but one can only hope.

If she's an official tester, she'll know what build she's on. :)

Just another update. VMWare works well, this is the first time I have used it, and it is a very intuitive program.

Thinking to myself last night, "I could have been using this to make virtual PC's, instead of wiping and re-installing OS's on both of my real PC's... D'oh!"

I feel like Dr. Frankenstein "It's Alive!, it's Alive!" ah hell who am I kiddin', I feel like that anyway.

Thanks! great to know that it is working well with 7. Have been using VMWare to test many software and like it very much.

I checked out MapleStory on the website. and I might try testing that over the weekend, but it looked too damn cute. I don't want to get hooked on another game, my little one already has me hooked on playing Pokemon with her.

I'll just tell myself, "It's for testing purposes, Helping out the community, only for testing." <-- yeah right.

Thanks again for testing MapleStory, by the look of it, it seem to be working too.

PS: don't get hook on this (like my little one) :)

bearoninternet
You're running the latest version of NOD32 right? 3.0.684? Does our beloved Marsufix 2.5 still work on that? Haven't had the time to test it myself yet.

That's affirmative, over. :)

Though it seemed to work just fine, somehow the trial time started counting down.

I quess it might have something to do with user rights during startup (i am not logging on as administrator).

I switched to the SHELOMOTUVI patch, which is the best and most easy patch imo so far.

License appears valid until 22/2/2222. updates work fine.

T_T I want Windows7 Ultimate and Diablo III NOW! T_T

If she's an official tester, she'll know what build she's on. :)

She is a tester, but I feel now that she is leading on to have something she doesn't. she gave me a 121208 dated build this morning, and I didn't have the heart to tell her she was behind the times.

Thanks! great to know that it is working well with 7. Have been using VMWare to test many software and like it very much.

Thanks again for testing MapleStory, by the look of it, it seem to be working too.

PS: don't get hook on this (like my little one) ;)

:) No worries, Testing anything right now seems to be satisfying the bug that bit me.

I'll give good feed back on compatibility soon after install.

You're running the latest version of NOD32 right? 3.0.684? Does our beloved Marsufix 2.5 still work on that? Haven't had the time to test it myself yet.

That's affirmative, over. :thumbsup:

Though it seemed to work just fine, somehow the trial time started counting down.

I quess it might have something to do with user rights during startup (i am not logging on as administrator).

I switched to the SHELOMOTUVI patch, which is the best and most easy patch imo so far.

License appears valid until 22/2/2222. updates work fine.

When I get home from work, I am going to add this fix to the test list. thanks for the link.

T_T I want Windows7 Ultimate and Diablo III NOW! T_T

You my friend are not alone.

I'll update this post further, and update my testing post tonight when I get home from work, and after going to get my little ones, and taking them for ice cream.

Edit:

Oh! and I wanted to thank shought publicly for my Member icon, the Windows "7" down in the lower right corner was a nice surprise.

Good Job shought, nice,... real nice.

Oh! and I wanted to thank shought publicly for my Member icon, the Windows "7" down in the lower right corner was a nice surprise.

Thanks, I never really knew what to do with the fire and the dragon, so I just put it on top of a nice background :) What can I say, I really have zero Photoshop skills, but I try... So don't expect any custom work from me.

I'm not really satisfied about how it's looking yet, but maybe I'll make some changes tomorrow...

In the mean time you have fun with your kids and your other 'little one'.

ps, no, not that one, the other one, which looks like a 7 :)

Thanks, I never really knew what to do with the fire and the dragon, so I just put it on top of a nice background :fear: What can I say, I really have zero Photoshop skills, but I try... So don't expect any custom work from me.

I'm not really satisfied about how it's looking yet, but maybe I'll make some changes tomorrow...

In the mean time you have fun with your kids and your other 'little one'.

ps, no, not that one, the other one, which looks like a 7 :unsure:

Thanks shought, the ice cream adventure went well, we had fun.

and I have been busy trying to get some things to work in 7, namely Acrobat. Thanks to this post it works almost 100%.

There is a popular problem when you install Acrobat from CS4 on a W7x64 sys, that you don't get the usual Adobe PDF print driver auto installed. You have to install the printer manually and I found these instructions to do so on the Acrobat Community forum (which worked fine for me on two systems):

•Click your Start Button and select Control Panel

•Select Devices and Printers

•Select Add a printer

•Select Add a local printer

•Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down. Click Next

•Click the Have Disk… button

•Click the Browse… button

•Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF

•Select AdobePDF.inf from the list, then click the OK button

•You will see many Adobe PDF Converters in the list, however count six down from the top and click Next

•Name your printer, in my case I named mine Adobe PDF

•Follow the rest of the prompts

Now, all I have to do to make it work like I want it to for me is, after printer to pdf, open the damn thing automatically.

As of now, I have to manually open the file after printing it. But Hey! it's printing now.

Hopefully I'll get my G1 phone tonight or tomorrow, and it won't distract from my Testing W7

I've updated some testing info in my post here

----------------

Now playing: Darude - Feel The Beat (Radio Edit) (181.FM - Energy 98 - Dance Hits)

via FoxyTunes

2/22/09 - Updated my Testing post here

Wyrm: I'm pretty sure the official build 7000 was compiled on the 12th. Don't hold me to that though...

Anyway, build 7046 is the latest build. :P

How I would love to get my Grubby Little Hands on that.

Well I did get my G1, and sorry to say it distracted me, a lot. I did learn that Kingston SDHC4/8GB mini SD's are way better than Patriot of the same specs. My G1 did not like the patriot ones, as a matter of fact it ate 2 of them,. It may have been a combination of W7, the G1 and the Patriot SDHC mini. Not sure, all I know is that the Kingston one works great and I had problems on the Patriot right off the bat.

All Testing was done on Windows 7 (x64) Build 7000.

Oh wow! I just noticed that I have not booted into XP since last Sunday. :dance:

This Weeks agenda is going to include a full wipe, and Clean install of Windows 7. If I can go this long without XP (and if you know me, you know that is quite a stretch.) I am going to go full on W7 and free up some HDD space.

Everything that I use seems to be working fine - great for me, and the feedback and testing requests I have been getting from you all has been very helpful in my endeavor to put W7 through the ringer.

I hope that I have provided good information for everyone that has had input, and for those that have just been reading what I have been doing on Windows 7. I will continue Testing untill Final Release. and post anything I find that might be of interest.

I am currently Testing MapleStory, and will post feedback soon.

I will also be installing and testing Civ4:Colonization. I still have the old DOS version and I am looking forward to seeing how it plays with today's technology.

It's time to get to testing the fun stuff.

----------------

Now playing: Sirens - Dreams (Wendel Kos First Sunlight Mix) (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunes

Bad news, MapleStory will not work on Windows 7, incompatibility issues with GameGuard

So no game that requires GameGuard will work right now.

If someone could possibly pm a link to a newer version of the Beta (if there is such a thing) I would be very appreciative. Besides the 7022 (x86) one. have that one on the old P4.

----------------

Now playing: Phonjaxx & Cosi - Sensual (Radio Edit) (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunese

Bad news, MapleStory will not work on Windows 7, incompatibility issues with GameGuard

So no game that requires GameGuard will work right now.

If someone could possibly pm a link to a newer version of the Beta (if there is such a thing) I would be very appreciative. Besides the 7022 (x86) one. have that one on the old P4.

----------------

Now playing: Phonjaxx & Cosi - Sensual (Radio Edit) (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunese

oh shit, meaning AuditionSea does not work too!

Thanks for testing this, my little one favourite games.

Guess I will have to hold back installing 7 for the time being. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello again everyone.

It's been 2 weeks now since I last updated my Windows testing post, and I have some info to pass along.

Windows 7 (x64) Beta build 7048 is nice. I want to thank Marik for the info

I installed it right over the top of build 7000 and it took some time, but I feel it was well worth it. If 7000 felt like a Release Candidate to anyone, this feels like an RTM to me, maybe even Win7SP2 < I kid I kid >

I can say from the past two weeks of testing that Diablo has me stumped, but Autodesk Inventor 2009 and Pro/E-Wildfire 4 both work fantastic under Windows 7.

Next month we should all be getting the RC. If there is a build leaked before that happens I don't know what I'm going to do,. I'm already foaming at the mouth for this to be on the shelf at my local Best Buy so I can purchase it.

The novelty of my G1 <phone> has worn off, so I should be back with more frequent updates on the Testing process.

So, if anyone has something they would liked checked, even if has been checked before and has a new update, I'd like to give it a run through and let you know what I come up with.

I should have the (x86) version installed by Tuesday of this week. with the speed improvements I see on the (x64) machine, the old dog <my p4 3.0GHz system> should scream.

----------------

Now playing: Kim Leoni - Medicine (Radio Edit) (FUSION RADIO CHICAGO)

via FoxyTunes

Hey Wyrm, thanks for your efforts.

Have you tested ESET V4 on Windows 7 yet?

Also a friend of mine told me that it's impossible to disable the pagefile in Vista because it will give you errors, is this possible in Windows 7 (I don't know how much RAM you have, but I'm using XP with 2 GB of RAM and no pagefile, never got an out of memory error).

Hey Wyrm, thanks for your efforts.

Have you tested ESET V4 on Windows 7 yet?

I have not gotten the chance to test ESET ESS or Nod32 V4 on either (x86) or (x64) "Yet"

It is on my list of to-do's.

I need to update my to-do list also come to think of it.

Also a friend of mine told me that it's impossible to disable the pagefile in Vista because it will give you errors, is this possible in Windows 7 (I don't know how much RAM you have, but I'm using XP with 2 GB of RAM and no pagefile, never got an out of memory error).

Funny you should ask this question.

The first thing I do once installation has finished and O have been given back control of my PC, is disable the Pagefile. Hibernation file is also turned off and removed, restore points are removed and disabled etc.

I then run the system through its normal process of installing Firefox < and getting rid of IE >, Thunderbird, applications, games, Media software and so on. I have a list somewhere in my notes of the exact installation steps I take.

Once everything is installed in the manner I want, I then begin using the PC normally. to see if I get a crash or conflicts and the like.

The only thing I have ever seen that goofs up if I don't have a Pagefile is streaming music or video. but that did not happen during my first few days of testing. I did start to get system slowdown, and stuttering of music and video once I started heavy load testing the system. That was with 2 instances of Guild Wars open, Torrent client running, many many tabs open in FF3, email open, 3D Engineering software running transfering files over the local network to the other PC I had begun to setup. But things did not slow down that bad actually, It was just I had gotten used to the Speed at which W7 had shown me,. and once it dropped, I freaked out.

I made a 3066MB pagefile on a dedicated partition and also set my Temp/TMP directory to the same drive. and I haven't had anymore dips in performance.

Here is information on my system specs.

<sarcasm>Wow that turned into quite a short answer </sarcasm>

----------------

Now playing: Lady Gaga - Pokerface (Dave Aude Radio Edit) (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunes

Ok, I honestly read it all :blink: :P

But to make a long answer short: it's possible?

I mean, with disabling the pagefile I really saw a great performance increase in XP, and I'd rather have +10% performance for 90% of the time and -10% performance for 10% of the time than the same I had before :dance2:

eset v4 works with windows7, i have tested it with beta of eset v4 and beta windows7. Not tested with final v4, but i think it should work..

Turning off the pagefile in XP would be possible if you have +2GB (normal use), +4GB (gamers).

In Vista... Vista can go to hell :blink:

Turning off the pagefile in XP would be possible if you have +2GB (normal use), +4GB (gamers).

In Vista... Vista can go to hell ;)

I've got 2 GB and I play a game once in a while, on XP... :D But I'm mad, thank god for that, otherwise this would never work!

Archived