• The Windows Firewall
    • Kaspersky
    • Other (State Below)

• Replies 149
  • Views 150.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't know about Vista but yea any Windows Firewall is safe but only till you dont use internet. Use Comodo Firewall only.

• Administrator

Nope. In Comodo firewall only, I mean not the comodo combined by AV but only with firewall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

outpost but looking for somting differnt

What don't you like about Outpost? I haven't used it yet, but I was thinking of giving it a try.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Grew up learning my firewall rules on ZoneAlarm from the venerable Gurus at the ZoneAlarm forums. Later, did a short stint with various other firewalls like PC Trend Micro, Outpost, Kaspersky etc., etc. Took a special liking to COMODO (especially the V2) - got disillusioned however with the versions following (3.14 to which I was loyal for quite a long time) until I laid hands on a 1 year license for Online Armor Premium.

Online Armor Premium was one of the most rewarding firewalls that came my way. Then, in the last 36 hours tried out the latest COMODO CIS (5.0.162636.1135_x86) and find it to be in a class of its own - it's quite clearly the best firewall I've ever tested. :rockon:

i also wants to use comodo firewall + nod32 but there is some issues with one application

So i have to use Kaspersky

• Administrator

i also wants to use comodo firewall + nod32 but there is some issues with one application

So i have to use Kaspersky

Both of them work together very well here. Comodo Firefwall v5 and ESET AV 4.2.58.3. :)

Both of them work together very well here. Comodo Firefwall v5 and ESET AV 4.2.58.3. :)

I am talking about tally accounting software

comodo blocks it.

edit- my request is being processed here after requesting 3 times

now waiting for next release.

I just installed Outpost Firewall pro 7.0.3 and I realised it is a load of shit. It just does not work. I have tried earlier versions of it and it was shit back then and still shit today. I installed it and rebooted, I tried to install the serial key and Outpost crashed, it just kept saying "please wait" while animating a loading bar forever. Could not end task so I reboot, finally I got to install the serial without crashing. Sadly that was not the end of the misery, for some reason Outpost caused windows live messenger to crash and remain stuck, end task isn't even unloading WLM at this point. Outpost has 2 services running in task manager than uses 20MB of ram each, kinda lame if you ask me. The user interface of outpost insists on telling me I could receive savings on long term licenses by buying a lifetime license even though I already used one to register the program; it also insists on telling me I could get a free migration to Outpost 7.0 even though the program is already version 7.0.

PrivateFirewall and Zone Alarm either lets everything through or asks you for confirmation for everything. They really sensationalize insignificant features like claiming to prevent zero day attacks, well obviously you could block zero day attacks if you ask the user for confirmation before executing anything. The only thing is Private firewall is lighter on the resources and it does what it is supposed to do without using scare-ware tactics like Zone Alarm.

The stable version of PC Tools firewall (v6.0) basically does the same thing as Private Firewall except PC Tools never fails to insert their adware features to coerce you into thinking you should buy their other products. PC Tools Firewall is also light on resources and does what it says it can do.

I installed Comodo Firewall 5 on my laptop this morning, mainly because I wanted to see what their cloud features had to offer. Right now it is probably the only standalone firewall without cloud technology so atleast it does not need to bother you for everything. I like the available options when messages popup, it is easy to report something as a false positive. I must admit I am impressed from the last time I used Comodo firewall. I still find the program options and interface to be a little non user friendly for anyone other than seasoned users of Comodo. They have too many settings in too many different places and not enough helpful tooltips popping up, to be honest I can't recall seeing any. In preferences you should disable the option to display Comodo news because that is basically useless popups. It uses 5MB of ram for its 2 services in task manager so resources is light. Comodo also sensationalise their default deny protection feature, I have yet to see a firewall with a default allow policy so that is nothing special, what is special about comodo firewall 5 is the cloud.

Last thing on my list to try out is Online Armour 4.5.

This Topic will become a heated battle when ROH1T gets around

Look Here

:rofl:

Well, I dunno about that but to add insult to injury when I tried to uninstall Outpost ofcourse the pile of shit crashed yet again taking windows with it, my pc was stuck on the logging off screen for an hour before I forcibly turned it off. When I saw it was taking a while on the logging off screen I left it and went to eat dinner n some other stuff, when I came back after about an hour it was still stuck on the logging off screen. Never again will I ever dare to test this Outpost rubbish. I will not even touch it with a stick. I will definitely have to vote against it being a staff pick on the front page because it got even worse than the previous major releases.

I want to try out Online Armour 4.5 and PC Tools Firewall 7 beta to see what their newest versions have to offer. I used the previous versions of both and I was satisfied with their features but I know Online Armour went through some ownership changes or something since v4 so I need to see what OA 4.5 has to offer.

zonealarm free firewall! first try it then tell me your opinion!

I could try the latest version of zonealarm but I seriously don't expect anything new from the previous version, it still asks you for everything or just allows everything through when you get annoyed by all the prompts and just click allow with remember choice.

On another note I did some further investigations on PrivateFirewall just now and I realised it does not work effectively. From a fresh install of PrivateFirewall 7.0, I loaded uTorrent and when the user prompts came up I clicked block on all of them and I noticed uTorrent was still connecting. I decided to load up the application configuration settings of PF 7.0 and I set DENY for everything related to uTorrent and just to make sure it wasn't already established connections I closed uTorrent and reopened it and it was still able to connect to peers and download data.

Clearly Private Firewall is weaksauce epic fail and Matousec tests results are also epic fail because they test a bunch of useless things that a firewall software should not be responsible for and they rated PF high on their list. The thing about Matousec tests is that now they coerce firewall developers into adding a set of shit features in their software that make no sense and have no practical use and do not belong in firewall software. Worse yet is Matousec rates pure firewalls low when in fact the pure firewalls might be doing exactly what they were meant to do. You really have to know how to interpret the Matousec test results because simply looking at the final ratings is not a good way to really judge a firewall software. Matousec is encouraging firewall makers to bloat their software and after reading on the PC Tools forum I see PC Tools is being influenced by Matousec as well, soon it will get as huge as Outpost and Comodo.

8968365Untitled.png

So I'm now testing PC Tools firewall 7 beta and there are a few things worth mentioning about it.

First it is updated and smartly coded so you do not need to reboot your computer after you install it.

Second it does not crash Windows or anything as far as I noticed.

3rd it is still fast and light, 2 processes using about 10MB ram.

4th it works, it just works. It isn't as dumb as other firewall software so it didn't harass me for things like firefox web browser. Straight from a clean installation and no user intervention required to allow web browsers and other standard windows services so it won't ask you retarded questions like Outpost, ZoneAlarm, PrivateFirewall.

5th it is simple to use with useful tips and even when manually configuring custom rules it is somewhat wizard based so it guides you step by step when making custom rules for applications.

One problem I had was I can't seem to get it to recognise the uTorrent port when I configured it in the application settings, I had to add the uTorrent port on the global port override list. I don't know if it has problems with UPnP or if I did something wrong in my configuration but this isn't a deal breaker considering the app is still beta.

It's worth mentioning that PC Tools still tries to load you up with their other software by asking you if you want spyware doctor during the installation and the default is set to YES so if you don't pay attention you could end up installing other software you don't want. Kinda sleazy of them but atleast their firewall works.

Archived