"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Configuring Windows Firewall Control For Optimal Use"

ATM, I am not running Windows - been on a Linux environment over the last 3 months (for an Enterprise.) Hope to grab a Windows, one of these days to create a tutorial for the masses - illustrating how I deploy Windows Firewall Control to my client machines.

However, not too sure folks really need this guide - looking forward to some feedback . . . . . . . . before, embarking on this project.

CebGdZV.png

I don't know about others but I need it. The mighty WFC cfg. .ini. Bring it on.

ATM, I am not running Windows - been on a Linux environment over the last 3 months (for an Enterprise.) Hope to grab a Windows, one of these days to create a tutorial for the masses - illustrating how I deploy Windows Firewall Control to my client machines.

However, not too sure folks really need this guide - looking forward to some feedback . . . . . . . . before, embarking on this project.

CebGdZV.png

Ah yes, decided against doing that guide due to a lack of response. h4CvlGL.gif

CebGdZV.png

Ah yes, decided against doing that guide due to a lack of response. h4CvlGL.gif
:(

@dcs18, why don't you export your firewall config and let me import it? Do you recommend "Secure rules" option during windows' boot?

@dcs18, why don't you export your firewall config and let me import it?

WFC sees events in 3 colors - black, white or grey - my new implementation sees events in just 2 colors black or white and therefore, it uses hardly 15% of the rules. It also runs extremely lighter, in every way.

However, this new implementation is based purely on customization and needs to be tailor-made, for each individual. Since this can cause havoc in your system, it can be deployed, only via TeamViewer.

Do you recommend "Secure rules" option during windows' boot?

The Secure Boot feature was a very useful option - however, after this bug which I reported to the WFC Developer - Alex (post # 1162,) it has ceased to be of any importance (is actually quite pesky, in practical use - one needs to manually change the profile from high to medium, after each boot.)

Dear dcs18, I'm using IDM as registered for more than 2 weeks with your provided method. But I am blocking just one IP (184.173.149.184) by WFC. So what is the necessity of those 22 left IPs?

Dear dcs18, I'm using IDM as registered for more than 2 weeks with your provided method. But I am blocking just one IP (184.173.149.184) by WFC. So what is the necessity of those 22 left IPs?

he has mentiond many times that IDM changes it activation checks regularly ...so that are mainly 2 iP's but its a safety features to block all these to prevent any leaking of details

Also these 22 also prevents u from entering to tonec site

regards

A few moments after IDM is started, it makes a periodic call to (ATM) only the following 2 IPs:--

You may survive for a limited period, by blocking just the 2 mentioned IPs, above - however, those Peeps (at Tonec) do seldom change / rotate / redirect those IPs to the other 21 IPs. As a matter of precaution it is strongly advisable to block all 23 IPs - you could try blocking just those 2 IPs, for yourself. F3h9xqz.gif

It is though on extremely rare occasions, that Tonec allots a new IP - this must be costing them dearly which is why the firewall method is not so easily affected. 6HUIPBa.gif

gAqGrgp.png

guAECRj.png

Will u post a guide for blocking what all IPs?

Regards

Method # 1 (Basic):

This method is suitable for Beginners it is already available on the net (have just added a little bit of spin to it.)

(Navigate to) Control Panel >> Internet Options >> Security >> (highlight) Restricted sites >> Sites >> (copy the following 4 sites one at a time into the top field) >> Add >> Close:

http://apps.skype.com/
http://g.msn..com/

what do the double dots do? last time I tested, IE has no support for single character wildcard.

Method # 1 (Basic):

This method is suitable for Beginners it is already available on the net (have just added a little bit of spin to it.)

(Navigate to) Control Panel >> Internet Options >> Security >> (highlight) Restricted sites >> Sites >> (copy the following 4 sites one at a time into the top field) >> Add >> Close:

http://apps.skype.com/
http://g.msn..com/

are the double dots on purpose? what do they do?

Oops, one of the dots deleted - correction made . . . . . . . . . . with thanks! uu0vOfR.gif

Edit:--

Corresponding edit made to the illustration, as well.

The tutorial, "Liberate Your CCleaner From The Ugly Clutches of Metro (ModernUI)" updated at Post # 2052 with the latest CCleaner 5.06.5219.

LegitSoldier

@dcs18

thanks for the tutorial. just used your List of 23 IPs with windows firewall. Now the update from internetdownloadmanager.com:80 is down :D

Is prevent the update request and the fake serial popup, right ? xD

@dcs18

thanks for the tutorial. just used your List of 23 IPs with windows firewall. Now the update from internetdownloadmanager.com:80 is down :D

Yes it prevents update requests aswell as License checking!!!

also u can manually update it later just keep an eye on Nsane Down everday

regards

Anyone succeded in making IP blocking through Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 ? :huh:

LegitSoldier

Well, it is legit. for your "Check for updates" request to be denied (after blocking those 23 IPs) - not sure though, which fake serial pop-up your are referring to. yXZVmpE.gif

Is it the same nag with a working solution at post # 2289, illustrated by Now?

yes, i had this nag screen before. with a new installation (6.23 build 12) and the block of IP is fine.

just a curiosity, with trash key i found 1 key related visual protect 3.5+
should i remove? :huh:

Dukun Cabul

Anyone succeded in making IP blocking through Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 ? :huh:

Yup !

image.png

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived