"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Taker: Thank you, idm "fake serial popup" problem has been solved with your tips!

Just to make it clear, these are not my tips , I just posted them in a nice manner.

This tip first appeared in an IDM thread and was recommended to me by dcs18.

Phew, nowadays u gotta clear urself, otherwise I might get myself in copyrights tangle over who presented this tip first. :hehe:

No problem with copyrights as far as I am concerned - the intention here, is clearly to share the knowledge instead of behaving like a selfish boor.

However, you do have a point there - in the past, people have been seen attempting to grab undue credits (all that is in the past, now - matter is cleared-up.)

Since almost every Contributor at this thread would most certainly be making good use of a firewall — some probably better than the others, guess it is time to find out the pedigree of the particular brand of firewall (you have been using all this while.)

You folks may want to put your firewall to the GRC ShieldsUp Tests, to find out whether your configurations are up to the mark — hope we can publish those results out here and in doing so, tweak our firewalls to the perfect score.

The GRC ShieldsUp Tests will indicate to you whether all sort of your ports are stealth or not — besides, you will also be able to find out about other peripherals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . all the best! F3h9xqz.gif

ps:—

Before publishing screenshot/s of your results, please blur/obfuscate/remove your IP from the image.

GRC ShieldsUp Test result

Firewall: (ESET Smart Security) - Default settings

5kpC0Yk.png

Even I am using ESS.

But even when I disabled firewall, I got the same result.

Did you check after disabling firewall?

The GRC ShieldsUp Tests Windows Firewall Control (WFC)

Internet Connection Security Test:—

Click the following image for the bigger picture:—

YGHD3rh.png

Common Ports Test:—

r6y3Gut.png

All Service Ports Test:—

QVHE4xB.png

Reverse DNS Test:—

BUsHG5q.png

Instant UPnP Exposure Test:—

nvAfcsq.png

looking to have encrypted google rather than just google as search engine :rolleyes:

Just extract the contents of the following file (google.xml) into the Firefox directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\searchplugins) - replace the existing file when prompted to:--

https://www.mediafire.com/download/3rxertkaxk4j4uu/google.rar

ps:--

You have to repeat the above procedure at every installation since it gets replaced.

How to get this XML ?

u edited it manually ur self?

regards

Yep, that is homemade (you won't find it anywhere else) - feel free to change the links to one of your own choice.

Damn . . . . . . . this stopped working on the latest Firefox 40 Beta 1. A5qMhta.gif

Damn . . . . . . . this stopped working on the latest Firefox 40 Beta 1. A5qMhta.gif

Oops....forgot to tell you that Search Plugins folder in the nightly got shifted from the mozilla installation directory to your mozilla profile folder a while back, maybe that's where you need to search. :yes:

Have already checked that - it is not there, they have made a complete change in the implementation (it is not in the JavaScript, either.) :think:

Just noticed that Firefox 40 Beta 1 wiped-off all my cookie exceptions. :angry:

The weird thing is despite blocking cookies globally - I am able to login to all sites where cookie-login is compulsory (including nSane - you can try this for yourself.)

That add-on, Google (encrypted) was last updated on the 22nd of November 2014 - doubtful whether it would work with the V40. yXZVmpE.gif

It should work and maybe because it doesn't require any update, that's why it hasn't been update till yet....

Its working in FF 39 and I think when I tested FF 41 it worked in that too, so worth a try. :yes:

The reason that old add-on won't work is because Mozilla has changed the algorithm for search engines completely. :(

The reason that old add-on won't work is because Mozilla has changed the algorithm for search engines completely. :(

I'm still to d/l, so tell me what you want me to test -beta or nightly? :naughty:

I am observing the issue on the V40 Beta 1.

Regarding cookie topic, I don't think its possible to log in @nSane widout cookie enabled.

PxgadLi.png

@dcs18

d/l and installed the en-US v40 beta 1 64 bit .exe installer and not .zip d/l

here r my observations on a clean and unmodified profied:-

• default search engine is still Google and not DDG.

That is strange - just tried the V40 Beta 1 on a Customer's old laptop and found the default search engine changed from Google to DuckDuckGo.

The comments left at the relevant Firefox thread seem to leave this impression, too.

• The encrypted google addon(AMO) is working nicely in v40.

I see - ATM, am trying my best to get back my original encrypted Google (without using any add-ons.)

• by default there is no searchplugin folder either in installation folder or profile folder. but u can manually get it to working by creating 'searchplugins' folder in ur profile folder and pasting the Google encrypted.xml in it.(this is automated if u use the above addon)

The searchplugins folder was already available in both - my installation directory and the Mozilla profile, as well (my present implementation does not work - trying to re-code it.)

• if cookies r disabled, u cannot log into nSane.or for that matter any site. i also see u use SDC, which hasn't been updated since feb, so maybe outdated. :dunno:

Yep, you are right, one of the functions in SDC is not working (despite SDC not being flagged off for lack of signature) - the one illustrated on my last post (however, the V40 beta 1 is confirmed to be the culprit - wiping-out the exception list.) :(

• and finally, u also got the underline in the post timings as I see in ur screenshots :D

This one sailed right over my head - dunno what you meant, come again? :think:

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived