"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

Here is how I use Windows Firewall Control to prevent Firefox from dialing home to check for updates - it can get quite disconcerting when Firefox starts installing / upgrading itself in the middle of your browsing / surfing.

Please note - the configuration at the following graphic illustrations overrides the setting on the Firefox interface but, does not block the add-ons and search-engines from updates:--

Check out the following 8 IPs that need to be blocked:--

What about these? What are they for and can I use your IP list for all three executables?

I still want the add-ons and search-engines to update.

Mozilla Firefox Updater (updater.exe)

%ProgramFiles(x86)%)\Mozilla Firefox\updater.exe

Mozilla Maintenance Service (maintenanceservice.exe)

%ProgramFiles(x86)%)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe

You don't need to use those IPs on all 3 executables - as already mentioned, the add-ons and search-engines will update, without being affected. B)

63.245.215.111,63.245.217.44,63.245.217.137,63.245.217.138,69.195.141.178,69.195.141.179,82.103.140.40,82.103.140.42

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a friendly tip, it is feasible to delete the flowing 3 executables from the Mozilla Firefox directory:--

• crashreporter.exe
  • maintenanceservice_installer.exe
  • updater.exe

Deleting the above-mentioned executables does not cause any side-effects - those who have any sort of misgivings might want to try renaming them. Personally, on my system these 3 executables and many other such unnecessary files are set to be purged automatically.

Lazy Users of Windows Firewall Control (WFC) can now export both the WFC rules (Allow and Block) illustrated at the IDM tutorial (updated at post # 1 and post # 2) using the following download:–

Site: https://www.mediafire.com

Sharecode[?]: /download.php?nctpnt7ukq8nxtk

Just a quick feedback:-

IWDW2om.png

This will work for 64bit system, for 32 bit PROGRAM PATH will change and maybe the LOCATION as well.

Also the installation directory should be default as shown, if someone has installed IDM in another drive or partition than C:/, the rules won't work.

Have one more thing but you have already discarded it. :P

fIOQNZL.png

fIOQNZL.png

That includes two times me also :P

Hmmm...good to see ppl using WFC & IP method.

Prolly useful for guests too :yes:

I see some bad news in the quoted figure. :think:

I see some bad news in the quoted figure. :think:

What?

The IDM rules were downloaded and published hardly 3 days ago - even if you take into consideration all other factors contributing to those kind of downloads, I find the number quite high . . . . . . . . . . . . which is actually a concern, from my point of view. yXZVmpE.gif

The IDM rules were downloaded and published hardly 3 days ago - even if you take into consideration all other factors contributing to those kind of downloads, I find the number quite high . . . . . . . . . . . . which is actually a concern, from my point of view. yXZVmpE.gif

I understand what u r trying to say :tooth:

If u want to be surprised more, i suggest u publish the rules for x86 also and then see magic. :sneaky:

To be honest - I do not want the firewall method to be used by the masses (prefer it to be a niche method which exudes exclusivity.) ^_^

You can also Import and Export the plain old windows firewall settings:

netsh advfirewall export "C:\temp\WFconfiguration.wfw"netsh advfirewall import "C:\temp\WFconfiguration.wfw"

thedeparted

the firewall methode don't want to work for me now it still tall me that i have a fack serial....so it's only me :P

ps: the problem is that idm can check updates easily ....

Was okay for a few months till this morning when popup appeared again. Added new ip 169.55.0.224 but no joy.

the firewall methode don't want to work for me now it still tall me that i have a fack serial....so it's only me :P

Was okay for a few months till this morning when popup appeared again. Added new ip 169.55.0.224 but no joy.

Check out the illustrations at post # 2290 posted by Now (if you wish to.)

Thanks to Greed93 & Taker 169.55.0.224 added to the list of IPs. RlW5CMh.gif

How abt reviewing the IPs list from scratch, I notice they got new IP on several of their addresses? B)

I am all for it - however, notice when Tonec change to a new IP . . . . . . . . . they create one which does not already exist in their database.

Personally, I feel one should exercise caution by using an inclusive IP list (as we have already done) - but at the same time also be careful to not go overboard.

Go figure, after trying numerous times, finally rebooted again and all is well. :cheers:

LegitSoldier

@The Naughty Kid

nah, they just added a new IP

IDM atm using combo of IPs:-

GhqVx6o.png

- what program do you use for this nice graphic report of date/port/program/ip ? ^^

- Is there any method for make a backup/restore of a windows firewall rules related of a program like IDM?

what

@The Naughty Kid

nah, they just added a new IP

IDM atm using combo of IPs:-

GhqVx6o.png

- what program do you use for this nice graphic report of date/port/program/ip ? ^^

- Is there any method for make a backup/restore of a windows firewall rules related of a program like IDM?

what

Windows Firewall Control (WFC) will do all that you ask for - and more. B)

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived