Nsane Grammar School

rudrax

If you cling on to grammatics - you will tend to sound like the British Queen (there won't be much difference - unlike there is when we speak / write most Indian languages.) I tend to prefer writing in a style very personal and distinct to myself where my expression is understood in a complete essence (no matter whichever forum, whatever handle I use - you'll recognize me.)

For example, the word grammatics does not exist.

• Replies 250
  • Views 43.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you cling on to grammatics - you will tend to sound like the British Queen (there won't be much difference - unlike there is when we speak / write most Indian languages.) I tend to prefer writing in a style very personal and distinct to myself where my expression is understood in a complete essence (no matter whichever forum, whatever handle I use - you'll recognize me.)

For example, the word grammatics does not exist.

The motive of this school is to teach grammar correctly. Once you get it, you can use it to modify your spoken English to the correct form. Here, let me tell you about your sentence, 'Yep, nothing is wrong with that sentence'. So, you missed a verb there and suppose you didn't know the SVO thing. In that case you will be called 'dumb a$$'. Now, suppose, you know the SVO thing (which is obvious that you do), then you can tell that in spoken English, sometimes, 'be' verb can be omitted to make it sound fluid. In this case you will be called 'smart a$$'. But you can't get rid of the 'a$$', anyway. :lol:

Once you get your brevity right, the conceived thought, the grammar, the diction, the expression and the interpretation thereof would all start falling in place.

Unfortunately, you'll come across brevity in only a percentage of guys flaunting their language - when you do, you'll find everything else pretty much inconsequential.

OK, where to start. Calguyhunk covered the newly found questions to a perfect extent. ;)

As for my lessons, sure, shorter is easier, for me as well. :D

Once you get your brevity right, the conceived thought, the grammar, the diction, the expression and the interpretation thereof would all start falling in place.

Unfortunately, you'll come across brevity in only a percentage of guys flaunting their language - when you do, you'll find everything else pretty much inconsequential.

The problem between the relation grammar:language is complex. I for one hate grammar. I wish it were never invented so to say. xD

I even learned English completely without grammar - just by listening to various English characters on TV and carefully reading what were (at that time) good translations. I never found the need to learn grammar until I received a couple of students devoid of language talent (in this case, the ability to perceive language through hearing it, and adequately repeating it) - they only have grammar to rely on. That being said, there are frightening grammar things out there, whole courses on the Chair of Anglistics dedicated solely to the structuralist approach to sentence construction, dissecting every possible formulation, every rule, every combination... that very few people need (heck of the people who study English, only a couple would need it, if they choose specifically that area as their field of research).

Basically, what I'm trying to say in between ranting, is that it all has its own merits. As far as flaunting language, I've always viewed it as a challenge of sorts. Maybe it's just me, but the defining part of a person is not so much the way he speaks of other people, but what he says about them. Artificial language, like that of grammar, is still a discourse in its own right, won by loud, loud people who would do anything to get their grammatical issues in the spotlight. Is it artificial? Certainly. But it is also a reality. That being the case, give me a flaunter, a jest, a vivisector of voracious vise (see what I did there? :P), as long as he's a good person. I couldn't agree more, that one must always stay true to one's nature. And if one's nature is in simplicity, linguistic purism, or baroque mystification - so thought many great men through history (if not completely understood, I subscribe to the third xD).

All this being said, people are on the internet in search of knowledge. It's a prickly thread we have here, and I'd love to keep it as open, as colourful, as random as the rest of nsane. xD

Don't take the advantage of my poor vocabulary :s

And, about the little controversy that is going on here, I agree, grammar is useless but we are here to learn the $h!t.

Not sure whether I mentioned this - but, apart from the brevity, it's most important to keep it short (OPs and responses, as well.) Most folks (like me) neglect to even start reading long posts. It also helps to keep it it relevant, interesting (humor never hurt anybody) and the most important of all - to substantiate one's words.

How often do we not come across baseless statements like, "XYZ is buggy" or boring & monotonous like, "Thank you for the update."

note.png

The importance of commas in the English Language.

Without it, meanings of sentences can change completely. Lets look at the following examples:

Example 1.

Amanda found herself in the Winnebago with her ex-boyfriend, an herbalist and a pet detective.

Amanda found herself in the Winnebago with her ex-boyfriend, an herbalist, and a pet detective.

The first sentence implies that Amanda is vacationing with her ex-boyfriend who happens to be a herbalist and a pet detective. The second sentence however, tells you that Amanda is taking a trip with 3 different people - her ex-boyfriend, a herbalist, and a pet detective, and that, they are not one and the same person.

One comma makes the difference between an awkward road trip with two people and a potentially hilarious road trip with four people. Make sure you’re punctuating the story you want people to read.

N.B. That second sentence, in case you noticed, includes a comma before a coordinating conjunction (and) in a list - her ex-boyfriend, a herbalist, and a pet detective. That type of a comma is called an Serial comma. Grammatically it may be optional, but without it, sometimes, the meaning of entire sentences will go haywire. (Check out the Wiki link for more such examples)

Example 2.

It's all about the positioning of the punctuation mark:

“Woman, without her man, is nothing.”

“Woman, without her, man is nothing.” :lol:

Example 3.

Again, another even more hilarious example:

dr5pn6.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Moral of the story: Better use commas if you don't wanna be mistaken for a cannibal :lol:

P.S. - This post might have had humorous overtones to it, but I hope you, dear readers, would have found it useful :yes:

I remember my English teacher ( Beautiful Army lady with hands down one of the most bespoke feminine personas :wub: ) ,

after teaching us the bare essentials of grammar , shifted our focus on the application of correct English in our daily lives . Verbally and Textually .

Its hard to put it here in words as to what i mean , or how she taught us , but thanks to her i know English . Fluent , Correct , Precise and Effortless . :)

LIke , she dint care if we know the correct textbook meaning and use of a verb or an adjective,noun or conjunctions,but she taught us the appilactions of them .

Call it reverse learning .

Like --

debates and essays were read out loud and then she would interrupt in b/w and make us understand "the sense and feel" of what sounds correct ..

@hunk, you have missed the label. Edit and put it there. Nice lesson, BTW :rolleyes:

LIke , she dint care if we know the correct textbook meaning and use of a verb or an adjective , noun or conjunctions ,but she taught us the appilactions of them .

Like --

debates and essays were read out loud and then she would interrupt in b/w and make us understand "the sense and feel" of what sounds correct ..

Bingo!!!

That's exactly what floats my boat.

@calguy

Good one .

I was thinking of posting this thing on the use of "comma" . :)

notice.png

The importance of commas in the English Language.

Without it, meanings of sentences can change completely. Lets look at the following examples:

Example 1.

Amanda found herself in the Winnebago with her ex-boyfriend, an herbalist and a pet detective.

Amanda found herself in the Winnebago with her ex-boyfriend, an herbalist, and a pet detective.

The first sentence implies that Amanda is vacationing with her ex-boyfriend who happens to be a herbalist and a pet detective. The second sentence however, tells you that Amanda is taking a trip with 3 different people - her ex-boyfriend, a herbalist, and a pet detective, and that, they are not one and the same person.

One comma makes the difference between an awkward road trip with two people and a potentially hilarious road trip with four people. Make sure you’re punctuating the story you want people to read.

N.B. That second sentence, in case you noticed, includes a comma before a coordinating conjunction (and) in a list - her ex-boyfriend, a herbalist, and a pet detective. That type of a comma is called an Serial comma. Grammatically it may be optional, but without it, sometimes, the meaning of entire sentences will go haywire. (Check out the Wiki link for more such examples)

Example 2.

It's all about the positioning of the punctuation mark:

“Woman, without her man, is nothing.”

“Woman, without her, man is nothing.” :lol:

Example 3.

Again, another even more hilarious example:

dr5pn6.jpg
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Moral of the story: Better use commas if you don't wanna be mistaken for a cannibal :lol:

P.S. - This post might have had humorous overtones to it, but I hope you, dear readers, would have found it useful :yes:

You gotta be kidding me! Use the "class note" label not the "notice" one.

LIke , she dint care if we know the correct textbook meaning and use of a verb or an adjective , noun or conjunctions ,but she taught us the appilactions of them .
Like --

Bingo!!!

Hell, people have been trying to force me to learn grammar half my life. It's not that easy going to a grammar school while hating grammar itself. xD Needless to say, I resisted. Only did I bother when there was money to be made. xD

I completely understand you guys. But I also get that some people who aren't as gifted in language reception can't master it in any other way, like most of my students. They usually come to me as a last resort, after changing several other private teachers (I work on recommendation only). Now, the only people I can't understand are the ones who like grammar, and prefer it to all other areas of language study.

Rudrax phrased it nicely - it's useless, but we're here to learn the sh.t.

You gotta be kidding me! Use the "class note" label not the "notice" one.

Done! :frusty:

Like --

Bingo!!!

Hell, people have been trying to force me to learn grammar half my life. It's not that easy going to a grammar school while hating grammar itself. xD Needless to say, I resisted. Only did I bother when there was money to be made. xD

I completely understand you guys. But I also get that some people who aren't as gifted in language reception can't master it in any other way, like most of my students. They usually come to me as a last resort, after changing several other private teachers (I work on recommendation only). Now, the only people I can't understand are the ones who like grammar, and prefer it to all other areas of language study.

I admit, I like grammar but I don't know all of it and I have a keen tendency to learn it. The idea isn't only centralized on me. It will help the others too who doesn't even know the basics. And, the benefit for the faculty members those are related here, I do have a pair of sentence for them: Knowledge increases when you give it to others. Being deposited, you earn nothing but you will earn something when you will expense it.

I admit, I like grammar but I don't know all of it and I have a keen tendency to learn it. The idea isn't only centralized on me. It will help the others too who doesn't even know the basics. And, the benefit for the faculty members those are related here, I do have a pair of sentence for them: Knowledge increases when you give it to others. Being deposited, you earn nothing but you will earn something when you will expense it.

That's true. Teaching does give a new dimension to knowledge. It can also help you re-learn and possibly correct what you thought to be simple and unquestionable.

note.png

...continued from post #135

Future tense: It has four categories too:

• Simple future: Deals with the things that will happen in the future. Construction: S + shall(when subject is not 3rd person singular number) / will(when subject is 3rd person singular number) + V + O. For example: I shall do the work, He will do the work, They shall do the work etc.
  • Future continuous: Deals with the things that will be happening in the future. Construction: S + shall(when subject is not 3rd person singular number) / will(when subject is 3rd person singular number) + be + V(-ing) + O. For example: I shall be doing the work, He will be doing the work, They shall be doing the work etc.
  • Future perfect: Deals with the things that will have happened in the future. Construction: S + shall(same rule) / will(same rule) + have + V(in participle form) + O. For example: I shall have done the work, He will have done the work, They shall have done the work etc.
  • Future perfect continuous: Deals with the things that will have been happening in the future. Construction: S + shall(same rule) / will(same rule) + have + been + V(-ing) + O. For example: I shall have been doing the work, He will have been doing the work, They shall have been doing the work.

And, about the little controversy that is going on here, I agree, grammar is useless but we are here to learn the $h!t.

I was born perfect - education ruined me. :(

looks like i typed "she's" twice, oh well, it's fixed now, thanks for noticing :hehe:

looks like i typed "she's" twice, oh well, it's fixed now, thanks for noticing :hehe:

:lol:

Sensei rudrax/other faculty, can you please cite at least ten example for each tenses.

I found that many bilinguals like me have trouble understanding their differences. :P

I think this is a prerequisite before moving on to (complex) compound sentences.

Thanks for your feedback, kenmelagi.

We have done our job. Examples will be the same. You just need to replace the SVO. The construction will be the same, anyway. If you have doubt regarding a particular sentence that you have got, ask here. We will try to help you with that.

Archived