Nsane Grammar School

rudrax

Disclaimer:

This post might outrage you - there's no deliberate attempt on my part to hurt sensibilities. You'll read further to this line at your own risk.

One of the most common bloopers (not limited to Indians) is the (mis)use of the word 'sex' instead of 'gender' - the most popular conversation to show-cause this blunder - the infamous Abdul Al Maqbool V/s Immigration Officer anecdote:-

(Arab carting his baggage into the Airport check-point)

Immigration Officer: Name?

Arab: Abdul Al Maqbool

Immigration Officer: Sex?:

Arab: Three times . . . . . . everyday.

Immigration Officer: No, no, I mean - male or female?

Arab: Oh yes, yes . . . . . . male, female, sometimes camel.

Immigration Officer: Holy cow!

Arab: Yes, yes - cow . . . . . . dog and even sheep.

Immigration Officer: But, ain't that hostile?

Arab: Horse style, doggy style, Gagnam style - any style!

Immigration Officer: Oh, dear. . . . . . dear!

Arab: No, no - not deer . . . . . . deer run too fast!

For a lovely PowerPoint on gender - check out the download link available here - at the bottom of the first post..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 250
  • Views 43.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

notice.png

The Internet is filled with grammar books, manuals, tips, tricks, hacks, instructables... It's very easy to get lost, and to start of with a book that's either too simple, too complicated or just badly written. The Student and Teacher alike are then faced with the same problem - what to use in application and distribution of knowledge? I submit these grammar manuals to the Faculty and students as well. They are part of what I use as a reference when teaching, and I've had good results (I myself was taught using No. 4. :P). I believe that most "average" students would want to start with Book 2 or 3 while advanced ones will need Book 4. The books offer both theoretical explanations, as well as exercises, applying the problem that was covered (I remember someone asking for examples to tense construction - has that too! ;)). Most importantly, it has tests after each chapter, and answers in the back for every exercise.

Though this thread is meant to be an interactive and instructive dialogue exchange, I feel there's no harm in enriching it with some material like this, especially if it's recommended, tested, and proven in practice to be of value. I hope that others may feel the same way after reading from one of the titles.

Lastly, these are my uploads (though not my scans), and private Mediafire links ought to last for quite a long time.

Site: http://www.mediafire.com/

Codes:

?a5hpde1phkw1ngc
?y3dfblw4xfkzprn

?o86x1xzh8a2kszn
?zve84db8mh1kvda

notice.png

The Internet is filled with grammar books, manuals, tips, tricks, hacks, instructables... It's very easy to get lost, and to start of with a book that's either too simple, too complicated or just badly written. The Student and Teacher alike are then faced with the same problem - what to use in application and distribution of knowledge? I submit these grammar manuals to the Faculty and students as well. They are part of what I use as a reference when teaching, and I've had good results (I myself was taught using No. 4. :P). I believe that most "average" students would want to start with Book 2 or 3 while advanced ones will need Book 4. The books offer both theoretical explanations, as well as exercises, applying the problem that was covered (I remember someone asking for examples to tense construction - has that too! ;)). Most importantly, it has tests after each chapter, and answers in the back for every exercise.

Though this thread is meant to be an interactive and instructive dialogue exchange, I feel there's no harm in enriching it with some material like this, especially if it's recommended, tested, and proven in practice to be of value. I hope that others may feel the same way after reading from one of the titles.

Lastly, these are my uploads (though not my scans), and private Mediafire links ought to last for quite a long time.

Codes:

?a5hpde1phkw1ngc

?y3dfblw4xfkzprn

?o86x1xzh8a2kszn

?zve84db8mh1kvda

thanks; more ebooks, please! :D

the more, the better!

notice.png

Codes:

?a5hpde1phkw1ngc

?y3dfblw4xfkzprn

?o86x1xzh8a2kszn

?zve84db8mh1kvda

Nice work there, Alanon. This idea won't harm anything, rather, become constructive carrying less effort. :thumbsup:

thanks; more ebooks, please! :D

the more, the better!

Nope! The more, the junk. :P

A convenient and pleasurable way to get one's grammar into place is by reading novels - my favorite Author was James Hadley Chase.

A convenient and pleasurable way to get one's grammar into place is by reading novels - my favorite Author was James Hadley Chase.

I love Socrates' philosophy.

Yes, spot on! my favorite ones are Harry Potter and Narnia :bag: :eekout:

A convenient and pleasurable way to get one's grammar into place is by reading novels....

As long as you're not into Dickens that is :P

A convenient and pleasurable way to get one's grammar into place is by reading novels....

As long as you're not into Dickens that is :P

In fact, Charlie boy was amongst my fav. Authors during the grounding years. :)

Charlie boy was amongst my fav. Authors during the grounding years. :)

Yeah, we all had to go through Mr. Philip Pirrip (Pip) and his trials and tribulations, I suppose :P

Beautiful topic. Thanks :clap:

You are welcome.

Long time since I've visited this thread. I think I need to read again from the OP :read:. My english IS really bad, still far from good :frusty: :tooth:

@rudrax, keep it going :)

:doh:

thanks, Zex :D

Long time, I am not visiting here. I think, I need to read again from the OP :read:. My English really bad, still far from good :frusty: :tooth:

@rudrax, keep continuing it :)

We are not going anywhere. A temporary halt has occurred currently due to lake of responses. Just ask what you need and we will be always there for you.

Long time, I am not visiting here. I think, I need to read again from the OP :read:. My English really bad, still far from good :frusty: :tooth:

We are not going anywhere. A temporary halt has occurred currently due to lake of responses. Just ask what you need and we will be always there for you.

Is this fixed? :lol:

It should be like this:

Long time since I've visited this thread [this site]. I think I need to read again from the OP :read:. My english IS really bad, still far from good :frusty: :tooth:

@rudrax, keep it continuing :)

[Or, keep it going]

;) ^_^

It should be like this:

>Long time since I've visited this thread [this site]. I think I need to read again from the OP :read:. My english IS really bad, still far from good :frusty: :tooth:

[Or, keep it going]

;) ^_^

My fix was closest to the author's original expression. The fix that you've provided, has led the original post towards decoration (it sounds good). And "English" is a language, it should always be started with capital "E".

It should be like this:

>Long time since I've visited this thread [this site]. I think I need to read again from the OP :read:. My english IS really bad, still far from good :frusty: :tooth:

[Or, keep it going]

;) ^_^

My fix was closest to the author's original expression. The fix that you've provided, has led the original post towards decoration (it sounds good). And "English" is a language, it should always be started with capital "E".

It should be like this:

;) ^_^

[Or, keep it going]

You're right for word "English" as its the language and starts with a capital.

Also the fix I provided changed his expression a little bit but made it more appealing and correct.

Your fix wasn't grammatically correct.

Apology, my friend. As I was trying to stick close to the original post, there might be some scarcity of "appealing" sense but still grammar is incorrect there. I've missed "is" after the word "English".

And, first sentence will be exactly appropriate when it will be like this: It's been long time since I have visited here (or, this thread).

• 3 weeks later...

Shut up :angry:

muhahwhawhahwhahwhahwhawhahwhahwah kiralaughplz.gif

you-mad-bro-he-mad-son.jpg

ALL I CAN SAY IS:

"HICKORY, DICKORY DOCK"

SOME PEOMS RYHME, BUT THIS ONE DOESN'T!

POEMS, DAMN IT POEMS

I ARE AN IJUT!

As an English Speaking South African, I really enjoy the Afrikaners attemprts at English.

A classic skit - Something really funny that is a great example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJVMJH5OhI

...dragged from here.

Lemme just get them together here first .. ;)

>> Seems like, have to another month to arrange the addition 2500 bucks. How about night shots. Are they satisfy you?

Correct -- Seems like , i have to wait for another month to arrange the additional 2500 bucks . How about night shots ? Do they satisfy you ?

----------------------------------

>> Well, this disappointed me a bit. 60 fps is runs fluid than 25 fps. How if I record at 720p? How much frames can it obtain at that resolution?

Correct -- 60 FPS runs more fluid than 25 FPS . What if i record at 720p ?

( On Topic --

FPS has got more to do with the lighting and the scene required to be captured . 60 FPS , simply means the shutter is faster . So allows less light into the image processor but captures more frames per second . So 60 FPS is best suited for bright , sunny lighting and fast moving scenes like a race , car spinners , children with pets running around , and the like .

At 30 FPS , daily routine shooting wont make any difference and is in fact rather better suited for capturing low light situations ;) )

------------------------------------

>> -- Thanks a lot from your time, my friend. These info are really valuable. I'm gonna buy this

Correct -- Thanks a lot for your time , my friend . This info is really valuable .

--------------------------------------

>> -- He shot a pic of mine in a room with few candles. I just shocked. The quality of the pic is same as if you are looking the room with your naked eyes.

Correct -- He shot a pic of me in a room with a few candles . I was shocked . The quality of the pic is the same as if you are looking at the room with your naked eyes.

:)

So, Thanks for the correction. I knew all of those except for "He shot a pic of mine" which is corrected by "He shot a pic of me". Now it reminds me of a sentence "(Do) you wanna piece of me?" and that's correct.

"I just shocked" is a result when someone tries to stick with spoken English but grammatically, that's wrong.

And for all other mistakes, if I go grammatically, I can not help laughing. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

don't you know about MultiQuote? :uhuh:

look for torrent with a lot of seeding, you'll get the speed. :)

and anyway, did it can be resumed? if it didn't, what was the message?

• Did it can be resumed? --> wrong

Correct --> Can it be resumed? (in present)

--> Could that be resumed? (in past)

Explanation --> As you already have a "be-verb" (can) in the sentence, bring that to the beginning of the sentence to make it interrogative. No need to irritate "Do" :rofl: Let it be in peace :lol:

• If it didn't, --> wrong

Correct --> If it couldn't,

Explanation --> Co-operating with previous sentence (Could that be resumed?).

• 1 month later...

So I thought I would take it upon myself to discuss the proper use of the apostrophe.

The apostrophe is not really grammar orientated but forms part of punctuation.

It is used to signal omission and possession.

CONTRACTIONS

When we refer to omission we refer to contractions - the shortened form of words

Some examples:

Do not = Don't

Cannot = Can't

Will not = won't

They are = They're

We are = We're

The following two are often used incorrectly:

You are = You're

It is = It's

"You're" is not the same as "Your" and

"It's" is not the same as "Its".

If you are unsure, use "You are" and "It is" in your sentence. If it is what you want to say then that means you are able to shorten it.

POSSESSION

This is where many mistakes are made. Here are some simple guidelines to follow.

Use an apostrophe with an "s" to show possession (singular):

This is Mary's pencil. [The pencil belongs to Mary]

This is today's topic [The topic of today]

This is my pet spider's web. [The web belonging to the pet spider]

Using the apostrophe without the "s" to show possession for plurals ending with "s":

This is the teams' locker room. [The locker room for the entire team]

Tennis is the boys' favourite game. [Tennis is the favourite game for more than one boy here]

if we said

"Tennis is the boy's favourite game", we would be talking about only one boy.

Using an apostrophe with an "s" to show possession for plurals not ending with "s":

Tonight is women's night out. [The night out for more than one woman]

The left line is the men's line. [The line to the left is for the men]

-What about "fish"? "Fish" is both singular and plural!

"This is my fish's tank" would pass for both one fish's tank or 20 fish's tank. English is crazy!

If two people own one item:

The red one is Mark and Samantha's car. [The red car belongs to both Mark and Samantha]

If two people own (the same items, but) separately:

That is Luke's and Shaun's dinner. [There is a dinner for each of them, they are not sharing their dinner]

Well it's basic, but I hope it will be of use.

• 2 weeks later...
LazyPotato

So I thought I would take it upon myself to discuss the proper use of the apostrophe.

The apostrophe is not really grammar orientated but forms part of punctuation.

It is used to signal omission and possession.

CONTRACTIONS

When we refer to omission we refer to contractions - the shortened form of words

Some examples:

Do not = Don't

Cannot = Can't

Will not = won't

They are = They're

We are = We're

The following two are often used incorrectly:

You are = You're

It is = It's

"You're" is not the same as "Your" and

"It's" is not the same as "Its".

If you are unsure, use "You are" and "It is" in your sentence. If it is what you want to say then that means you are able to shorten it.

POSSESSION

This is where many mistakes are made. Here are some simple guidelines to follow.

Use an apostrophe with an "s" to show possession (singular):

This is Mary's pencil. [The pencil belongs to Mary]

This is today's topic [The topic of today]

This is my pet spider's web. [The web belonging to the pet spider]

Using the apostrophe without the "s" to show possession for plurals ending with "s":

This is the teams' locker room. [The locker room for the entire team]

Tennis is the boys' favourite game. [Tennis is the favourite game for more than one boy here]

if we said

"Tennis is the boy's favourite game", we would be talking about only one boy.

Using an apostrophe with an "s" to show possession for plurals not ending with "s":

Tonight is women's night out. [The night out for more than one woman]

The left line is the men's line. [The line to the left is for the men]

-What about "fish"? "Fish" is both singular and plural!

"This is my fish's tank" would pass for both one fish's tank or 20 fish's tank. English is crazy!

If two people own one item:

The red one is Mark and Samantha's car. [The red car belongs to both Mark and Samantha]

If two people own (the same items, but) separately:

That is Luke's and Shaun's dinner. [There is a dinner for each of them, they are not sharing their dinner]

Well it's basic, but I hope it will be of use.

I've seen lots of people using 's for making plural,that's just so wrong...*faceplam* Thx for posting this

Archived