Nsane Grammar School

rudrax

Why and how did the American English become a world standard?

May be, the majority of people have adopted it to be used in general.

• Replies 250
  • Views 43.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, the point is, in order to teach, you first MUST understand what the language is, and why the language is.

Not true, I'm a Professor without an inkling of the lingo - am also absolutely clueless about my grammar.

Go back to my posts - you'll find a heap of grammatical mistakes that are quite dramatical.

... there may be mistake. ...

Should it not read: So, there may be mistakes.

I didn't know how many mistake(s) will be there. That may be singular or plural. The sense was uncertain. Neither you nor I are correct. The correct sentence will be: So, there may be mistake(s)

It should still say mistake(s) with the s in brackets OR "So there may be a mistake or two" :P

Also, while we're being Grammar Nazis - :P

@ rudrax - that first sentence in the last quote "I didn't know how many mistake(s) will be there." should read - "I didn't know how many mistake(s) there will be" :yes:

>>Should it not read: So, there may be mistakes.

I didn't know how many mistake(s) will be there. That may be singular or plural. The sense was uncertain. Neither you nor I are correct. The correct sentence will be: So, there may be mistake(s)

@ rudrax - that first sentence in the last quote "I didn't know how many mistake(s) will be there." should read - "I didn't know how many mistake(s) there will be" :yes:

Yup that's a mistake. I let a be-verb to be before the subject which makes the sentence a interrogative.

I prefer, not to make a mistake in the class note, not in the other posts because if you write something keeping perfect grammar in mind, it eats brain like the hours inside the exam hall. That may be the reason, no one except me from the faculty members is delivering class notes.

note.png

...continued from post #88

Present tense: It has four categories:

• Simple present: Deals with the things that happens around us in present. Construction: S + V(-s / -es) + O. If the subject is 3rd person singular number, there will be -s (with the verb that ends with a consonant) or -es (with the verb that ends with vowel). For example: I go to school regularly, He/she goes to school regularly, Mr. John eats banana every morning.
  • Present continuous: Deals with the things that are happening around us in present. Construction: S + am(when subject is I) / is(when subject is singular number) / are(when subject is plural number) + V(-ing) + O. For example: I am playing cricket, He is playing cricket, They are playing cricket.
  • Present perfect: Deals with the things which have just done in the present. Construction: S + have(if the subject is not 3rd person singular number) / has(if the subject is 3rd person singular number) + V(in past participle form) + O. For example: I have done the work just now, He has done the work just now, They have done the work just now.

Past participle form: There is a thing called, "the list of verb". In that list every verb has their present, past and past participle form.

• Present perfect continuous: Deals with the thing that are going on since a particular period of time in the present. Construction: S + have(if the subject is not 3rd person singular number) / has(if the subject is 3rd person singular number) + been + V(-ing) + O + since(if time period is very old) / for(if time period is not so old) + the time period. For example: He has been reading the book since 2 months, They have been doing the work for 2 hours.

...to be continued.

school is to long ago and I did not like school so there is very little english knowledge left.

school is to long ago and I did not like school so there is very little english knowledge left.

Do learn here then :rolleyes:

>>Should it not read: So, there may be mistakes.

It should still say mistake(s) with the s in brackets OR "So there may be a mistake or two" :P

Glad to see this sentence was covered. I was going to address it, but I just didn't have the time, I have a Dutch test in a few days, can't be on-line. xD

When all of this nonsense with my exams comes to a close, I'll get to posting a few lectures here. In the meantime, keep up the good work.

As a side note, I can't believe the attention "prolegomenon" has been getting from curious members. xD Makes me want to start some vocabulary lessons, just for the fun of it.

Was tiding up my bookmark's when found this interesting link ---

http://testyourvocab.com/ B)

Only words that I can clearly define - http://testyourvocab.com/?r=2384959

Words that I can use in a sentence, but don't exactly know the definition of, returned a value so obscene, that I'm refraining from linking that result on this thread. But I'm bookmarking that page anyways :P Seeing as native speakers know between 20,000-35,000 words (according to the site) most people wouldn't believe that number ;)

If all of us play fair (which I doubt) only that pseudo-linguist Alanon (Dutch test? WTF! :O ) ( showoff! :P ) should better me by some margin, methinks ;)

Around 10,000. :(

My vocabulary is very poor. Somewhere near 1/10 of you. :lol:

1/10th implies that you know only 1000-2000 words, which is highly improbable ;) But non-native speakers only know around 2500-9000 according to the site anyways, so you should be alright :yes:

1/10th implies that you know only 1000-2000 words, which is highly improbable ;) But non-native speakers only know around 2500-9000 according to the site anyways, so you should be alright :yes:

That was just my idea. But I manage to share everything that I know with that 1/10 quantity.

Just redid the test .

Result - 19,300 :P

The last time i did it was i think around 15,000 :think:

As per the site , a native English speaker stands tall at 20,000+ words ! :mellow:

Either all the native speakers who took the test were all English Doctorates

or

The site expects the native speaker to know atleast these many words !

Coz , i have seen plenty of native speakers who dont even know the difference b/w 'you' , 'your' and 'you'r' ,

let alone carrying this huge army of Vocab words in their arsenal !

But either ways , its a fun lil tool to test oneself and get a rough estimate !

( What is guess --- at the result page , the test asks you if you have given any English proficiency test and if so , what your scores are . So , might be the site is popular in these English testing circles and hence the high scores ...... :think: )

Was tiding up my bookmark's when found this interesting link ---

http://testyourvocab.com/ B)

Only words that I can clearly define - http://testyourvocab.com/?r=2384959

Words that I can use in a sentence, but don't exactly know the definition of, returned a value so obscene, that I'm refraining from linking that result on this thread. But I'm bookmarking that page anyways :P Seeing as native speakers know between 20,000-35,000 words (according to the site) most people wouldn't believe that number ;)

If all of us play fair (which I doubt) only that pseudo-linguist Alanon (Dutch test? WTF! :o ) ( showoff! :P ) should better me by some margin, methinks ;)

Well, I was too curious not to take the test. Played fair, I actually defined every word in my head not to allow contextual defining to meddle in. The last row was especially interesting, I'll be looking up some new words, I tell 'ya. :lol:

http://testyourvocab.com/?r=2385644

Pseudo-linguist? I hope not to be too related with them. xD I actually find linguistics annoying (not to say that I don't know it, in fact, I know it well - keep your enemies closer and all that.). :P

Yeah, Dutch. xD Finished my Russian exam a long time ago, now I'm taking a two-year Dutch course at my university, this is the first exam, still woefully entry-level. I have to memorize all these vegetables... I hate vegetables. :wut:

Oh well... I'm off then... Tot ziens!

@Marik, You have made a serious grammar mistake at the first sentence of this post. Identify and correct it.

@Marik, You have made a serious grammar mistake at the first sentence of this post. Identify and correct it.

more like some mistakes but thanks for pointing it out, this usually happens allot to me, especially when I'm in a hurry or type really fast

some letters come out jumbled or some have extra letters to them and most of the time I don't usually quality-check what I wrote hence the errors

more like some mistakes but thanks for pointing it out, this usually happens allot to me, especially when I'm in a hurry or type really fast

some letters come out jumbled or some have extra letters to them and most of the time I don't usually quality-check what I wrote hence the errors

I could have posted that in that thread but that won't be appropriate. So I have dragged the thing here and now it looks appropriate. This is just to carry on grammar business, nothing else :)

Edit: As you are a mod of this great community, other members expect that they can copy-paste whatever you write.

Archived