Nsane Grammar School

rudrax

LazyPotato

Lol ! :D

Good initiative rudrax ! ( atleast sounds good , but for how long , i dont know ! :P )

qm.gifhWStOqi.jpg

Although i'll admit i did top my high school English exam :rolleyes:

So the lecturer is here , where the hell is HOD !

And what is the principal up to !

And senior staff is here , where is the junior ! :P

And the comment by Arachnoid , i think is an intentional typo pattern ! ;)

*Grammar Nazis...:troll:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 250
  • Views 43.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

"I'm sorry I didn't reply back to your message" works just as well

Double negative: "Reply back," since the word "reply" would suffice as it is already a reflexive verb.

What? I'm a teacher too.

"I'm sorry I didn't reply back to your message" works just as well

Double negative: "Reply back," since the word "reply" would suffice as it is already a reflexive verb.

What? I'm a teacher too.

Make it a triple. I'm sorry, I didn't reply to your message.

@Aviator, can you implement the sentence with the verb response or react?

What?! I'm the founder of this school, bro. :rofl:

@Avitar, can you implement the sentence with the verb response or react?

Yes you can: " I'm sorry I did not respond to your message." However you cannot use the word "react" in this context.

React = action taken as a result of

Respond/reply (same meaning) = communicate a message back to the initiator.

@Avitar, can you implement the sentence with the verb response or react?

Yes you can: " I'm sorry I did not respond to your message." However you cannot use the word "react" in this context.

React = action taken as a result of

Respond/reply (same meaning) = communicate a message back to the initiator.

I think, we can use react too. Going with your definition: react = action taken as a result of your message.

Now, if you implement them in the sentence above, we get, I'm sorry, I didn't respond to your message ->> In this sentence, the word response may also stand for you laughed or you cried. So the word response, alone, doesn't make sense that you are actually replying to his message. Now if you put a word back along with response, we have, I'm sorry, I didn't respond back to your message ->> In this sentence, respond back together implements reply (to your message).

Same way, the word react (along with back) can also be used.

P.S. I don't know whether this implementation exists in grammar or not. This is what I think.

P.S. I don't know whether this implementation exists in grammar or not. This is what I think.

"I'm sorry I didn't react to your message" = I'm sorry that you didn't piss me off or make me happy. "React" has an emotional response only. Not an active one.

The above quoted sentence is widely regarded as a threat and will start an argument, or if used in a formal context will get you laughed at and called a retard and people will suggest you "learn to speak english bitch" - a classic emotive reaction to the word react. Understand class? Reacting to a message starts a fight :p

"I'm sorry I didn't react to your message" = I'm sorry that you didn't piss me off or make me happy. "React" has an emotional response only. Not an active one.

The above quoted sentence is widely regarded as a threat and will start an argument, or if used in a formal context will get you laughed at and called a retard and people will suggest you "learn to speak english bitch" - a classic emotive reaction to the word react. Understand class? Reacting to a message starts a fight :P

You have got me wrong. I was saying that react or response can't be alone to mean reply. They should be coupled with back to mean reply - that's what I was trying to say.

Replying to a message can also start a fight :lol:

You have got me wrong. I was saying that react or response can't be alone to mean reply. They should be coupled with back to mean reply - that's what I was trying to say.

Again I reiterate: react, respond, and reply all contain the reflexive and definite article embedded into its meaning. reply back, respond back and react back are all double negatives.

It's like saying that "The rain is falling down," or "I reversed back on the wall," or even "The tide is rising up."

Rain can't fall up, you can't reverse forward and the tide can't rise downward. Well at least sensibly and logically speaking. So the plausible (believable) existence of only one condition carries the default meaning. So the word "down" and "back" and "up" are all unnecessary and are the standards used to infer if a speaker is not native to English.

• 3 months later...

He he, my score's 24,100; non-native and never went to classes. :D :rockon:

Again I reiterate: react, respond, and reply all contain the reflexive and definite article embedded into its meaning. reply back, respond back and react back are all double negatives.

It's like saying that "The rain is falling down," or "I reversed back on the wall," or even "The tide is rising up."

Rain can't fall up, you can't reverse forward and the tide can't rise downward. Well at least sensibly and logically speaking. So the plausible (believable) existence of only one condition carries the default meaning. So the word "down" and "back" and "up" are all unnecessary and are the standards used to infer if a speaker is not native to English.

Can you please give me a good source to improve my english, thanks in advance :)

• 9 months later...

notice.png

The Internet is filled with grammar books, manuals, tips, tricks, hacks, instructables... It's very easy to get lost, and to start of with a book that's either too simple, too complicated or just badly written. The Student and Teacher alike are then faced with the same problem - what to use in application and distribution of knowledge? I submit these grammar manuals to the Faculty and students as well. They are part of what I use as a reference when teaching, and I've had good results (I myself was taught using No. 4. :P). I believe that most "average" students would want to start with Book 2 or 3 while advanced ones will need Book 4. The books offer both theoretical explanations, as well as exercises, applying the problem that was covered (I remember someone asking for examples to tense construction - has that too! ;)). Most importantly, it has tests after each chapter, and answers in the back for every exercise.

Though this thread is meant to be an interactive and instructive dialogue exchange, I feel there's no harm in enriching it with some material like this, especially if it's recommended, tested, and proven in practice to be of value. I hope that others may feel the same way after reading from one of the titles.

Lastly, these are my uploads (though not my scans), and private Mediafire links ought to last for quite a long time.

Site: http://www.mediafire.com/

Codes:

?a5hpde1phkw1ngc

?y3dfblw4xfkzprn

?o86x1xzh8a2kszn

?zve84db8mh1kvda

Seems like your ebooks on Mediafire are private now. I requested (via mediafire) your permission to download them.

Hope, you're going to help ....

Hey fellas, I have a query. Look at the following sentence:

He doesn't like explaining things.

Is the sentence grammatically correct?

Yes, it is. As in "He doesn't like playing cricket" or "He doesn't like dating good girls" :P

What's the rule then?

In this expression - "explaining" is a GERUND (a form of NOUN rather, than VERB).

That is why tenses don't apply here, and a verb "to be" as well.

More about gerund here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerund

Hey fellas, I have a query. Look at the following sentence:

He doesn't like explaining things.

Is the sentence grammatically correct?

Yes, it is. As in "He doesn't like playing cricket" or "He doesn't like dating good girls" :P

What's the rule then?

In this expression - "explaining" is a GERUND (a form of NOUN rather, than VERB).

Umm.. "Explain" is a verb, from the noun "explanation." "to explain" would be the infinitive form of the verb and the conjugation would be:

I explain

You explain

He/She/It explains

We explain

They explain.

No gerund there.

since the first post isn't even close to being grammatically correct this thread should be closed, besides we eat grammar nazis for breakfast and it's breakfast time.

Umm.. "Explain" is a verb, from the noun "explanation." "to explain" would be the infinitive form of the verb and the conjugation would be:

I explain

You explain

He/She/It explains

We explain

They explain.

No gerund there.

Nothing more needs to be said. Just CAREFULLY read the article linked in my previous post http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerund

Note :

1. GERUND is specific type of NOUN not a VERB.

2. NOUN "explanation" and GERUND "explaining" don't mean the same.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Should I use were or was in this sentence?

Two topics posted more or less at the same time(!) was merged into one...

Two topics posted more or less at the same time were merged into one (since the central point is about the two topics.) 6HUIPBa.gif

and the worse at Punctuation and Grammar are probably us British but since it is our language do we really care? ONLY when we see English US and SECOND on the list is English International as decided by M$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh BTW guys there is also a vast difference between spoken English and Book English quite honestly after learning "Book English" go and learn "Colloquial English" far more important if your Speaking to people IMHO.

Archived