Nsane Grammar School

rudrax

I do have to be honest: you really put some pressure on me :P

Now I have to be grammatically correct all the time, well, at least when I post here. It takes some effort at times :rolleyes:

:lmao: That's true. Here you must be grammatically correct as you are the principal. Be careful. :D

• Replies 250
  • Views 43.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

note.png

SENTENCE

Sentence is the combination of words. A meaningful sentence contains meaningful words in a format that is bounded by some rules, the grammar rules.

For example, There is a virus in his computer.

Now, let's look at the skeleton of sentence and the basic skeleton looks something like this: S + V + O, i.e, Subject + Verb + Object

For example, let's consider the above example again. There is a virus in his computer. What remains in the sentence excluding S, V and O, are called extensions (We will discuss about it latter).

There are 4 basic types of sentence:

• Affirmative: This is the type of sentence that ends with a full stop (.) being affirmative to the overall meaning of the sentence. For example. This is nsane forums.
  • Negative: This type is the opposite kind of affirmative. It also ends with a full stop (.) being negative to the overall meaning of the sentence. For example, This is not nsane forums. :lol:
  • Interrogative: This is the type of sentence that ends with a mark of interrogation (?) making a question expecting an answer. For example, Is this nsane forums? :wtf:
  • Exclamatory: This is the type of sentence that ends with the mark of exclamation (!) expressing some reaction like human feelings and emotions. For example, What, this is the nsane forums! The mark of exclamation can also be put after the word bearing the weight of the reaction. In that case, the sentence will be something like this: What! This is the nsane forums.

Mother of all Grammar Lessons !

Thanks for finding that Majithia, honestly. I always find it extremely annoying when native English speakers fail to recognize the difference between there, their and they're or for that matter, your and you're. :chair:

The could've/should've/would've being written as could of etc. is also a common mistake for the native speakers mainly because they go by the pronunciation rather than the written version ;) Non native speakers - to the best of my understanding - don't make these mistakes as often ;)

A lot of Indians make the mistake between 'loose' (as opposed to 'tight') and 'lose' (as opposed to 'find') :P and nobody on the netz seem to know the difference between it's and its :(

In fact, EVERY single one of the 'Grammar Goofs' described in the pic is just as valid as the next and texting (SMS), IRC and the internet in general has just made things worse over the last decade and a half. I'm sure a lot of people will find the post not just helpful, but highly entertaining. So thanks again for the find :clap:

P.S. - The best of course as usual, was saved for last. 'My zombie brother' was the LOL moment for me in the whole post :lmao:

• Administrator

Me waz a Engrish prof, thn I tuk da internets to da knee. :P

@calguyhunk

Ahhh ... its way too common man !

I have seen the most disciplined of literates commit such errors .

Might be in the heat of writing or when drunk ! :P

But then it irks all the more so !

I remember i used to type in all the Internet lingo and WWW slang ,

but then i noticed that the slang was too dirty . Meaning every few messages and conversation exchange's later , the other party would come up with some other lingo , just out of the out of nowhere !

I remember once i received "TTYS" as a reply back .

I had to call back to ask what is this code ! :P

So made it a point to never use ! ;)

@D

wat yaa tlkn m8 !

@rudrax

So i see , you did the lesson on Sentence construction ! :)

@rudrax

So i see , you did the lesson on Sentence construction ! :)

Yeah, and you are requested to get a lesson on Parts of Speech :naughty:

Disclaimer:

This post might outrage you - there's no deliberate attempt on my part to hurt sensibilities. You'll read further to this line at your own risk.

One of the most common bloopers (not limited to Indians) is the (mis)use of the word 'sex' instead of 'gender' - the most popular conversation to show-cause this blunder - the infamous Abdul Al Maqbool V/s Immigration Officer anecdote:-

(Arab carting his baggage into the Airport check-point)

Immigration Officer: Name?

Arab: Abdul Al Maqbool

Immigration Officer: Sex?:

Arab: Three times . . . . . . everyday.

Immigration Officer: No, no, I mean - male or female?

Arab: Oh yes, yes . . . . . . male, female, sometimes camel.

Immigration Officer: Holy cow!

Arab: Yes, yes - cow . . . . . . dog and even sheep.

Immigration Officer: But, ain't that hostile?

Arab: Horse style, doggy style, Gagnam style - any style!

Immigration Officer: Oh, dear. . . . . . dear!

Arab: No, no - not deer . . . . . . deer run too fast!

Disclaimer:

This post might outrage you - there's no deliberate attempt on my part to hurt sensibilities. You'll read further to this line at your own risk.

One of the most common bloopers (not limited to Indians) is the (mis)use of the word 'sex' instead of 'gender' - the most popular conversation to show-cause this blunder - the infamous Abdul Al Maqbool V/s Immigration Officer anecdote:-

Arab: Yes cow . . . . . . dog and even sheep.

Arab: Horse style, doggy style - any style!

That's a funny $hit :lol:

One of the most common bloopers (not limited to Indians) is the (mis)use of the word 'sex' instead of 'gender' - the most popular conversation to show-cause this blunder - the infamous Abdul Al Maqbool V/s Immigration Officer ......

OMFG! Major league LMFAO :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That just made my day. Thank you :D

'Tis a sad state of affairs - young punks of this generation eat, drink, play and lay an Americanized style of life (with special reference to the ones working with BPOs and erstwhile Call Centers.)

It's the in-thing to pronounce with an accentuated roll of their Rs - sounds and feels so bloody artificial, but then an accent from the Americas is a fad. In my interactive lectures, I do find some Participants trying to put-on - never sounds appealing on Indians.

It's not uncommon to come across folks trying to pronounce:-

Who >>----> Hu

Yes sir >>----> Yassir

Coffee >>----> Kofi

Pronunciation is one of the blazing guns from one's grammatical arsenal - in fact, it's loaded with silver bullets. To see for yourself what I mean, check out the following video:-

https://www.youtube.com/tv?vq=small#/watch?v=frMz9s3OLwY 

Disclaimer:

Arab: Yes cow . . . . . . dog and even sheep.

Arab: Horse style, doggy style - any style!

lol

note.png

TENSE

In old school grammar we are told that tense is the core thing of grammar and it is the hardest to learn. May be it is, but I have found it pretty interesting. So here we will start with tense.

Tense directly deals with the time. It deals with the things which were/are/will happened/happening/happen in a particular period of time. So, regarding this fact, primarily, tense is divided into three parts and they are:

• Past tense: Deals with the things that were happened in the past. For example: He was a good person, She played games online etc.
  • Present tense: Deals with the things which happens and happening currently around us. For example: He is a good person, She is playing online games etc.
  • Future tense: Deals with the things which will happen/ or there is a chance to happen in the future. For example: He will be a good person, She will play games online etc.

...to be continued.

Tense directly deals with the time. It deals with the things which were/are/will happened/happening/happen in a particular period of time.

2nvgwvr.jpg

Tense directly deals with the time. It deals with the things which were/are/will happened/happening/happen in a particular period of time.

2nvgwvr.jpg

Please be more specific if you have found out something wrong or inappropriate.

notice.png

In this school, the things that are being taught, may not be according to any reference book that could be found in the market. These are just what I got from learning those reference book in old school. So, there may be mistake. Feel free to ask anytime.

Hey tube-light, nothing wrong/inappropriate - there's an alternate meaning to the word 'tense,' too. :frusty:

Alright, filament :lol:

You failed to notice something interesting [to you] within that Spoiler. :dunno:

Oh yeah, you have removed the side fences from the wallpaper. Where's the link?

• Administrator

I personally found tense very easy to learn

Infact, it's advanced versions like past tense, past present tense, past future tense, etc. was easy to learn too. :)

notice.png

In this school, the things that are being taught, may not be according to any reference book that could be found in the market. These are just what I got from learning those reference book in old school. So, there may be mistake. Feel free to ask anytime.

Should it not read: So, there may be mistakes.

notice.png

Should it not read: So, there may be mistakes.

Yeah, the sense is right. But you see, in the notice I posted, I didn't know how many mistake(s) will be there. That may be singular or plural. The sense was uncertain. Neither you nor I are correct. The correct sentence will be: So, there may be mistake(s)

note.png

PERSON and NUMBER

To learn the next things on tense, we need to learn about PERSON and NUMBER.

Person is divided in three classes:

• First person: I
  • Second person: You
  • Third person: Excluding I & You (He, She, John etc.)

Number is divided in two classes:

• Singular number: Is used when something counts unity (1)
  • Plural number: Is used when something counts more than unity.

So, the significance of number over person will be as followed:

Capture.png

This may be just a brief discussion regarding person and number, but will be enough to learn tense.

Ok.....no, spelling error...okay, I have read, (past tense), this entire, (all, of part of a whole), thread and one item presented itself in a way that caused me to pause.

prolegomenon

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prolegomenon

I would like to offer this thought to the mix of engineered lessons....

English, that is to say American English is what the lessons here refer to.

American English is really a mostly mixed and bastardized form of communication

mostly deriving its' ancestry from America's early colonial days. The following link

delves into this a little bit, and further research will produce volumes of disagreements as to

the different dialects.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/books/review/speaking-american-a-history-of-english-in-the-united-states-by-richard-w-bailey-book-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Anyway, the point is, in order to teach, you first MUST understand what the language is, and why the language is.

There are any number of languages on this planet that are hundreds if not thousands of years older than American English.

Why and how did the American English become a world standard?

Archived