Which defragment program you all use?

AeonFulx

• Replies 121
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UltimateDefrag 2008 Build 2.0.0.51 is out

What's New?

1. Corrected problem with defrag stalling on 64 Bit operating systems.

I use jkk defrag

light, fast, no fuss and doesn't have any background processes :unsure:

btw, does an ssd require any drive tools or is it all good on its own?

• 2 months later...
SacredCultivator

Been using Ultimate Defrag for quite some time but now I have a problem with it and am looking for an alternative...

For some reason UDefrag won't 'detect' any 'information' on my HD's like I can select the drives but I can't do anything... The 'GUI' is all grey (Shows no data), and if I Analyze or defrag it completes analyzing but of course nothing happens. If I Defrag it sort of 'freezes' there and I can't stop it as it stays at 'stopping...'

And I've tried reinstalling and whatnot, no luck... So I thought I'd try an alternative Defragging Program... And I want one 'on-demand' as I don't really like things running in the background.

Thanks.

Been using Ultimate Defrag for quite some time but now I have a problem with it and am looking for an alternative...

For some reason UDefrag won't 'detect' any 'information' on my HD's like I can select the drives but I can't do anything... The 'GUI' is all grey (Shows no data), and if I Analyze or defrag it completes analyzing but of course nothing happens. If I Defrag it sort of 'freezes' there and I can't stop it as it stays at 'stopping...'

Thanks.

Are you using a firewall, the firewall might be the culprit. Disable it before you defrag.

SacredCultivator

Nopes... No firewall.

---

EDIT:

Okay not too sure what happened.. But lol after installing IE8 Beta 2... and restarting... It works now but weirdly all my files have gotten majorly fragmented....

But all is 'good' I guess.

Nopes... No firewall.

---

EDIT:

Okay not too sure what happened.. But lol after installing IE8 Beta 2... and restarting... It works now but weirdly all my files have gotten majorly fragmented....

But all is 'good' I guess.

Hmmm, :P what have IE got to do with UD not working?. wondering :angry: :P

nm as long as it works.

Ultimate Defrag didn't work for me properly after following the guide here. It just stopped at some point or got extremely slow. I used Tuneup Utilities 2008 for my last defragmentation.

Ultimate Defrag didn't work for me properly after following the guide here. It just stopped at some point or got extremely slow. I used Tuneup Utilities 2008 for my last defragmentation.

You just need to let UD do it's thing for a few hours the first time. If it doesn't work then it's got to do with it not being able to move some files...

You just need to let UD do it's thing for a few hours the first time. If it doesn't work then it's got to do with it not being able to move some files...

For a few hours ? I followed the guide word by word, I tried to defragment the disks many times while being asleep, I woke up and it was stuck somewhere over 70% ... That's with the "folder/file" option, "defragmented files only" worked fine.

For a few hours ? I followed the guide word by word, I tried to defragment the disks many times while being asleep, I woke up and it was stuck somewhere over 70% ... That's with the "folder/file" option, "defragmented files only" worked fine.

Did you select Strict placement(for both Archive and High Performance) and do you have enough(+25%) free space on your HD?

I once tried strict replacement on one of those, the other time not ... about HD space I don't remember, probably not.

I once tried strict replacement on one of those, the other time not ... about HD space I don't remember, probably not.

That's the problem most likely. UD does need (IMO) a lot space to exactly place files where you want them, this is understandable, but it should have a function like 'In case of no space skip files that can not be moved.'.

I use Defraggler, been doing it since the first beta. I'm happy with it, but is UD really that good? ;)

I've used quite a few different programs over the years and I've found that PerfectDisk is by far the best overall. The current version is "PerfectDisk 2008".

Most defraggers are based on the algorithm(s) used by Diskeeper. PerfectDisk is not. It uses its own.

I use Defraggler, been doing it since the first beta. I'm happy with it, but is UD really that good? ;)

Maybe, try it and see.

I have been using it since.......can't remember when!! :P

Maybe, try it and see.

I have been using it since.......can't remember when!! :clap:

I don't really want to run to defrag-apps at the same time.. Why is UD so good? How is it better then Defraggler? What does it do that Defraggler doesn't? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. :think:

Maybe, try it and see.

I have been using it since.......can't remember when!! :pirate:

I don't really want to run to defrag-apps at the same time.. Why is UD so good? How is it better then Defraggler? What does it do that Defraggler doesn't? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. :welcome:

Read my guide :welcome: (Sticky in the Guides & Tutorials section)

(Reading my guide includes following my advice and that is to read the Help file before starting to read, this will explain you everything you just asked. Or you can be lazy and wait for me to edit this post and add the information you requested, but at the moment I don't have the time to post that here, I'll do it later this evening.)

Edit: Ok, here it is: Normal defraggers(like Defraggler) just defragment the files. Which is a good thing, don't understand me wrong, but UD does more. UD uses Last access timestamps and your own personal profile(which can be created using my guide) to optimize the placement of your files, which will result in greater performance. Some more theory: The outer part of your HD has higher performance(faster read times/access times) than the inner part. It gradually degrades from outside to inside. So the optimal performance is to place files you use frequently to the outer parts(High Performance) and you'll want the files you never(or maybe once/twice a month) use to the inside(Archive) part of your drive which will leave more room for the High Performance files. If you don't understand me just read the Help file and my Guide and I promise you you will understand.

Read my guide ;) (Sticky in the Guides & Tutorials section)

(Reading my guide includes following my advice and that is to read the Help file before starting to read, this will explain you everything you just asked. Or you can be lazy and wait for me to edit this post and add the information you requested, but at the moment I don't have the time to post that here, I'll do it later this evening.)

Edit: Ok, here it is: Normal defraggers(like Defraggler) just defragment the files. Which is a good thing, don't understand me wrong, but UD does more. UD uses Last access timestamps and your own personal profile(which can be created using my guide) to optimize the placement of your files, which will result in greater performance. Some more theory: The outer part of your HD has higher performance(faster read times/access times) than the inner part. It gradually degrades from outside to inside. So the optimal performance is to place files you use frequently to the outer parts(High Performance) and you'll want the files you never(or maybe once/twice a month) use to the inside(Archive) part of your drive which will leave more room for the High Performance files. If you don't understand me just read the Help file and my Guide and I promise you you will understand.

Thanks, I didn't knew that. Will try out UD right away, and I will use your guide to get it properly set up. Yet again, thanks for the info. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Been running 'Diskeeper 2008 (Pro Premier)' for over 1 month now - the latest version is Diskeeper 2008 Pro Premier 12.0.781. Have to mention that this program is the swiftest defragmenter on my machine with the most effective defrag engine on auto mode - this one rocks!!!

Archived