elohelomg

XP Pro. Sp3

Realtime

Sandboxie

Avast Free Antivirus (Active shields: File, network and behavior only)

On-Demand

MBAM

a-squared Free

Other

Firefox latest

Google DNS

CCleaner

Router Firewall

• Replies 959
  • Views 333.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing with Ubuntu last few days and I think I'm gonna go nomad and say goodbye to windows :)

Few apps that I need from Windows are working perfectly fine with Wine emulator.

I mean, Win7 is working fine and all , but I'm just sick & tired of it , and Ubuntu looks pretty cool :sun:

• Administrator

I've been playing with Ubuntu last few days and I think I'm gonna go nomad and say goodbye to windows :)

Few apps that I need from Windows are working perfectly fine with Wine emulator.

I mean, Win7 is working fine and all , but I'm just sick & tired of it , and Ubuntu looks pretty cool :sun:

Congrats mate. It takes a real brave person to leave Windows as primary OS. :)

Well, that didn't last long, mainly because of hardware problems, I wasn't able to make all the hardware to work.

It was working in VM, and I thought it would work on main host, but that didn't happen, VM picked everything from main host and somehow made it work, I'm not exactly sure how but whatever.

Anyways, I'm not with OA++ anymore, now I'm back with CIS4 , with everything ON, including AV and sandbox. With few changes against default settings.

Looks very good so far, last time I was forced to drop Comodo because something was not working right and later I discovered it's not just Comodo that is not working right but majority of apps.

After clean OS install everything works fine now.

• Administrator

Well, that didn't last long, mainly because of hardware problems, I wasn't able to make all the hardware to work.

It was working in VM, and I thought it would work on main host, but that didn't happen, VM picked everything from main host and somehow made it work, I'm not exactly sure how but whatever.

Anyways, I'm not with OA++ anymore, now I'm back with CIS4 , with everything ON, including AV and sandbox. With few changes against default settings.

Looks very good so far, last time I was forced to drop Comodo because something was not working right and later I discovered it's not just Comodo that is not working right but majority of apps.

Yea VirtualMachine picks up everything from the Hosts so you wont face any hardware problems. Can you specify what hardware problems? Cause I have friends that know in and out of linux distros. Maybe I or they can help. Quite interesting though, Ubuntu is not known to have many hardware problems. :think:

I still haven't switched to CIS4. Don't wanna see it giving BSODs again. :P . No new updates are released so it's tempting to use it again.

Yea VirtualMachine picks up everything from the Hosts so you wont face any hardware problems. Can you specify what hardware problems? Cause I have friends that know in and out of linux distros. Maybe I or they can help. Quite interesting though, Ubuntu is not known to have many hardware problems. :think:

I still haven't switched to CIS4. Don't wanna see it giving BSODs again. :P . No new updates are released so it's tempting to use it again.

Not that it matters now but I'll tell you, thanks for your offer to help but I'm not going back with Linux, at least for a year, maybe situation will change later.

One more thing I have to mention is that after ubuntu I tried other distros in hope that it will work there, but same thing ..

First and major one was with sound, it works ok, but only in stereo mode, there was no way to make it work in 5.1 , I tried everything humanly possible.

While I was searching for solution I noticed that huge number of people have the exact same issue.

Out of 5 speakers and subwoofer, only front left and right are working. The others are simply dead.

Second is MCE remote, on Win I can't imagine watching movie or something without it.

I tried few things and I think I would make it work after few hours of editing various config files but it was not worth it since I can't make sound to work.

Third is set-top-box and recording TV shows, there is nice app MythTV which is kinda like Media Center in Windows (ok it's far far away from WMC but I would go for it :) )

I had trouble even getting TV picture over any connection (composite, s-video ...) and not to mention finding support for my STB which is needed in order for app to change TV channels.

I had also problem with UPS , there is linux driver for it on manufacter site, but it won't work, I guess it's too old.

Anyway, looking at Win7 back again now , and it's one smooth mother*u*ker :D

Too bad you have issues with CIS4 , it's really amazing that this is free product.

I mean, I can use any security app out there, legal or cracked, whatever, but I'm not, and I tried all the major ones.

I mean of course, it's my opinion, but I think it's great.

They really improved AV engine and sandbox is working great.

• Administrator

I would guess that you'll just need a simple command in the terminal to make your 5.1 work. Remember, linux doesn't rely on GUI like Windows does. The most power thing in linux is it's terminal (CMD in Windows language :P ).

But yea most of the other problems, I don't think that there would be any solution.

I believe that Windows 7 is the best OS ever created. So yea welcome back. :D

One day, I'll switch to Ubuntu, why, because I hate cloud based OS and Windows 8 is going to be one.

I had tried one of the early beta and stable of CIS4 respectively. In beta, I don't think I had any BSODs, but instead many of the controlling of system problems. When I tried the first or second stable, it announced the arrival of my life's first huge series of BSODs. Even after uninstalling it, I found that it had touched my kernel and made changes to other system files also. And the culprit was combination of CIS4's sandbox and ESET. I had about 20 BSODs in about 15 days. heath28m had gone onto say that I should throw it out the window. :hehe:

It's really tempting though. I'll try the firewall soon.

Yep, terminal is powerfull, I agree, trouble is ... I can't find right command for it to make 5.1 works :P

What the f. is going on here :) I mean, I can't find right securtiy solution :)

I found some troubles with CIS4 sandbox, everything else is OK except that I hate additional and useless service for live support.

That's why I decided to install CIS 3.14, firewall and Defense+, I've noticed whitelist (database of safe files is very small compared to CIS4) and that's what I miss the most but it's ok.

I also installed Avast free and that's it.

Hope this setup will last for a longer period of time :rolleyes: :)

• Administrator

Hmm. So another person unsatisfied by CIS4. :P

My review on avast free was, it was slow when opening softwares when compared to ESET. And I saw some infections entering my PC when it was installed. But on the other side it uses less RAM. And it's interface is fabulous. ^_^

:D

Well, on my system it runs pretty fast, I can't even notice that it's running.

And it doesn't matter if it miss something because I don't run any malware anyway (I mean of course nobody normal would run malware, but I rarely install something on main OS anyway), besides if by any chance I find some malware, Comodo is there to stop it with D+ ;)

• Administrator

I felt the same at first but it changed later. :(

You can also add a MBAM protection. ;)

I have MBAM running but without real-time (eats up lots of RAM) , just for on-demand.

edit : I forgot one thing to tell you about Avast settings, option to scan files when writing is turned off , so maybe that's why I don't notice it.

I'll see if it gets slower in cpl of days, next one would be MSE, after that ... None :P

• Administrator

As soon as I got my new PC. I keep MBAM running. Now my 2GB of RAM (from 4GB total) is going for replacement/repair. I've removed that 2GB from two weeks now but don't feel much of a slow down when MBAM is running. BTW does anyone see MBAM service running in task manager? I can see only mbamgui but not the service. Though it does show running in services tab.

I have MBAM service running, it's active only when you register app, I have real-time monitor disabled but Scheduled scan (twice a month) is set.

Posted Image

• Administrator

Hmm see mine. I have live protection on but web filtering disabled.

Posted Image

It's taking about 7,500KB. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Click on 'Show processes from all users' and have a look then (MBAM service is hidden if that is not checked)

• Administrator

LOL. I was searching for that option from 3 months. And I didn't see that it was on the downer part. :P I believe it was in options in XP.

Yea now it's visible (mbamservice).

Thanks. ;)

• Administrator

I told you. It's tempting. :lol:

Bizarre™

I'm not going back to CIS4 until the sandbox is fixed and / or it passes the leak test with flying colors.

• Administrator

I'm not going back to CIS4 until the sandbox is fixed and / or it passes the leak test with flying colors.

I'll follow the expert. :)

Yes, sandbox is not quite there yet.

With CLK only one test failed, with sandbox disabled all tests pass.

Also, I would like to see option on popup 'Run in sandbox', auto-sandbox is running too much apps in sandbox.

Online Armor has great feature with 'Run safer' , for me that is better option than sandbox.

Anyway, I think that firewall and D+ is enough and that nothing can infect box (if user knows what he's doing) , but since AV works perfect (resources wise) I don't mind having it , it can't hurt for sure :)

i am using on my fids computer

ESET Smart Security 4.2.40 using box with interactive mode. sharing with network

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 with real portection on and starts at startup

SUPERAntiSpyware Professional 4.37.1000 doesnt start at startup

computer is vista 64 so not even waisting my time with sandboxie

i notice wth two accounts on that computer i had to run scans under each user and exclude stuff i wanted excluded under both. i have the auto scans at night to just scan and not fix anything.

desided to drop search and destory.

so far it looks pretty good. i ran newsleecher beta under the main account for installing software on th ekids computer. the security setup has blasted and stopped a couple of winrars and wmv that it said was had a std

if anyone things there is something else i should use and had setup for the computer please reply. trying to make sure i have a good nice setup before switching my laptop to the same setup

Droped CIS4 :P

Now I'm back with OA++ and that's that, final decision :)

Subscription expires in 250 days ^_^

Archived