Linux can still beat Windows in the desktop war, and Linus Torvalds is 'working on it'

Batu69

About a year ago, I declared Windows 10 was "the final nail in the coffin for the Linux desktop". What I meant by this was not that Linux on the desktop was really dead, but that the Linux community had failed to capitalize on the negative sentiment towards Windows 8x. What I didn't expect at the time, however, was Microsoft's privacy faux pas with Windows 10. While there are more than a quarter billion installs of the latest operating system, plenty of folks have serious concerns about spying.

Maybe Linux has a chance on the desktop after all. Ubuntu is being integrated into Windows 10, and Android seems to be headed towards the desktop. In other words, Linux is making significant moves. Heck, even Linus Torvalds is prepared to keep fighting the good fight, and he declares that he is still "working on it".

According to CIO, Torvalds gave a comment about Linux on the desktop at the Embedded Linux Conference. You can see his quote below.

The desktop hasn't really taken over the world like Linux has in many other areas, but just looking at my own use, my desktop looks so much better than I ever could have imagined. Despite the fact that I'm known for sometimes not being very polite to some of the desktop UI people, because I want to get my work done. Pretty is not my primary thing.

I actually am very happy with the Linux desktop, and I started the project for my own needs, and my needs are very much fulfilled. That's why, to me, it's not a failure. I would obviously love for Linux to take over that world too, but it turns out it's a really hard area to enter. I'm still working on it. It's been 25 years. I can do this for another 25. I'll wear them down.

While Linux has lost many battles to Microsoft on the desktop, the war is not over. Torvalds pledges to dedicate the next 25 years of his life to usurping Windows. Will the open source kernel prove victorious on the desktop? It is totally possible. After all, time is not finite, and even the Roman Empire fell. If you follow history, nothing lasts forever and that should ring true for Microsoft's stranglehold on the desktop.

Still, let's not forget that the computing landscape is changing. Who knows -- in 25 years, the desktop concept itself could be dead. Linux already owns both the mobile and server markets -- maybe the desktop will prove to be inconsequential in the future.

Is Linus Torvalds delusional, or does Linux really have a chance on the desktop?

Article source

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Batu69 said:

Is Linus Torvalds delusional, or does Linux really have a chance on the desktop?

I think hes crazy  . they been saying its going be the year of the Linux desktop long before i ever used Linux and never happened .  Still way more people use Windows XP  with no updates at all than use Linux with updates on desktop . Do i think Linux  will become the last of the traditional desktops? Yes i do. Kids today rather put learning on the back burner for something easy to use .In computer tech class now days kids dont even know how set up or use Linux and you talk too anyone who got there degree a few years back it was mandatory to learn Linux computing . So techs now days are only half learning about computers and they need too learn it because even Microsoft are hiring big wigs from Linux today.

Desktops and laptops have not even sold good since 2013 it's more Likely the year of the  the Android Linux smart phone is coming . Desktops are becoming something people need to work on smartphones and before its over if you want a desktop  that dont have phone apps and bloat Linux  Desktop will be you're only choice . The last of  the Windows traditional desktops was Windows 7  and it will no longer be supported in 4 years .  :)

desk tops and notebooks-are becoming dinosaurs ... tablet devices and smart phones are becoming more powerful ...but  there will always be a need for good desktop applications for office settings and work applications and also photography .... but no way no how will Linux usurp what microsoft has  ....the software people want to use for business and photography needs  alone will never be as  Linux friendly  as windows is to what people demand right now... nothing compares or even comes within miles of Photoshop and microsoft office suites  ...so windows will always be safe from having to worry about Linux taking over 

1 minute ago, dMog said:

desk tops and notebooks-are becoming dinosaurs ... tablet devices and smart phones are becoming more powerful ...but  there will always be a need for good desktop applications for office settings and work applications and also photography

Yes this is true but this dont help sell the Dinosaurs .  Companies didn't  even want to leave XP  most just bought refurbished windows 7 pcs not long ago . I know many people who have money too buy any PC  they want and still they dont buy new ones.  Mac OSX  and smartphones out sell Windows PC units nowdays . Tell and if he market recovers i say Linus is crazy  they cant even sell Desktop computers with winders now days much less with Linux that only has like 1.8%  of  the Marketshare .  But the Marketshare is a oxymoron any ways  No one has bought units with windows on much since 2013 and Windows 10 is a free upgrade to what most bought pre 2013 and still they sell no units to those that upgrade are no keys ether .

right steven i agree ...i use my phone more and more like a computer, just as everyone else does...but for photography and office/work related stuff  i just do not see linux making much headway... the stuff i want/demand for what my needs are linux applications are archaic at best...  just cannot see linux taking away any market share ,,,, maybe in 25 years....maybe

26 minutes ago, dMog said:

right steven i agree ...i use my phone more and more like a computer, just as everyone else does...but for photography and office/work related stuff  i just do not see linux making much headway... the stuff i want/demand for what my needs are linux applications are archaic at best...  just cannot see linux taking away any market share ,,,, maybe in 25 years....maybe

Linus  is the one that keeps Linux together . In 25 years if something was to happen too him I say Linux  desktop will be swallowed up by corporate greed like everything else has been . If anyone tries to debate Linus  about Linux he just cusses them out and sticks  his middle finger up and they keep on making better Linux . Linux is already a big force in the Server , Cloud  and Smartphone world . Linux is everywhere and even Microsoft knows its here to stay. That's  why the head of  Oracle Linux works for Microsoft Now.  Android is just  a Linux distro for smartphones  that has its own apps  but without the Linux Kernel  it cant exist because it is Linux like the rest of the distros.

Maybe Linux has a chance on the desktop after all. Ubuntu is being integrated into Windows 10, and Android seems to be headed towards the desktop. In other words, Linux is making significant moves. Heck, even Linus Torvalds is prepared to keep fighting the good fight, and he declares that he is still "working on it".

1878dae6e097a528d1e58a8d7b51e5aa599ea117

no offense to the author tho

Well windows 10 must be horseshit  then because  once you update to redstone Linux's Bash shell will be in Windows .  So even the latest  Windows has Linux  in it :P

If you want to live in the past in a Steve Ballmer's Microsoft  World you need to use a older versions of windows . Because Satya Narayana uses Linux and  is putting it in Windows 10 and it supports there Cloud . So anyone  that is a Microsoft fan and debates Linux looks more strange with every major update.

You're feeling hyper because Microsoft for the first time in history looked at Linux and used a feature of it in its OS? gosh what kind of happiness people are pursuing these days...

Microsoft embraces Linux -- way too late

This is Microsoft belatedly taking a step toward Linux acceptance. Microsoft will face big problems down the road due to this procrastination, but at least it has begun the process. Before, this would have been an impossibility because the powers that be refused to see what was apparent to everyone else: Linux was winning the cloud server space, and for better or worse, that’s where the world is headed.

Full Article http://www.infoworld.com/article/3050845/microsoft-windows/microsoft-embraces-linux-way-too-late.html

That's called flexibility. Microsoft is showing flexibility towards Linux because they're wise and modest. it's totally different than bowing down.

LOL  , I rest my case  why would Microsoft invest there money in horse shit ? Its not a veggie  garden . Its a O/S full of apps that dont even run on Windows natively

Bash on Windows: Only the beginning of the Microsoft-Linux experiment

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3049715/microsoft-windows/bash-on-windows-is-just-the-beginning-for-microsofts-linux-experiments.html#tk.ifw-infsb

3 hours ago, steven36 said:

Linus  is the one that keeps Linux together . In 25 years if something was to happen too him I say Linux  desktop will be swallowed up by corporate greed like everything else has been . If anyone tries to debate Linus  about Linux he just cusses them out and sticks  his middle finger up and they keep on making better Linux . Linux is already a big force in the Server , Cloud  and Smartphone world . Linux is everywhere and even Microsoft knows its here to stay. That's  why the head of  Oracle Linux works for Microsoft Now.  Android is just  a Linux distro for smartphones  that has its own apps  but without the Linux Kernel  it cant exist because it is Linux like the rest of the distros.

granted   servers ,phones and the cloud... but desk top... the average user right now ...no matter how good or better the linux desktop is over even a few years ago... the average windows user just wants to turn the key to on and go...if they cannot do that they will not like linux,,,and right now that is why they are not flocking to it and never will... if there phones and servers and the cloud needed to tweaked like linux desk builds ...nobody would use them either...but those builds are the standards...just as windows is the standard for what it does

3 hours ago, dMog said:

granted   servers ,phones and the cloud... but desk top... the average user right now ...no matter how good or better the linux desktop is over even a few years ago... the average windows user just wants to turn the key to on and go...if they cannot do that they will not like linux,,,and right now that is why they are not flocking to it and never will... if there phones and servers and the cloud needed to tweaked like linux desk builds ...nobody would use them either...but those builds are the standards...just as windows is the standard for what it does

You must not hangout  in the same circle  of people I do, not a day goes by i dont read about someone switching from windows to Linux  but i dont hang in that circle  of everyday people that cling to windows  I hang out with the technical elite. So saying no one uses Linux Desktop is totally incorrect , No one really knows how many people use it  . Because most Marketshare  statistics are done by Microsoft affiliates anyways and you cant believe everything you read on here. But when real people say they switched i believe that they have nothing to gain by making it up.  Ive not had to Tweak Linux on my production  O/S  since long ago  when i 1st installed it same as with any Windows O/S I have to tweak it to my likeing . Some people may be happy with the way a windows o/s  or a linux distro comes  but I never have been.

Check this out  Microsoft Is Selling A Computer Preloaded With Linux On Its Website (Raspberry Pi 3 With NOOBS)

http://fossbytes.com/microsoft-is-selling-a-computer-preloaded-with-linux-raspberry-pi-3-with-noobs/

QxuHk0w.png

mdTwWdm.png

JnZUw0K.png

This is why i dont come to Nsane to learn Linux or do i start topics here anymore because Microsoft  fans cant see past there winders world even though Microsoft is truing windows into Linux The fans still live in past in Steve Ballmer's Microsoft  World  when PCs still actually out sold smartphones  And most  of these units updated to windows 10 were from the Steve Ballmer  days . So why start topics about Linux on a windows forum  or why start topics about something AkA Windows  i use less more and more everyday ? If people can adapt to a smart phone for a computer with a tiny screen they can adapt to anything .

yes but steven...are you a heavy user of Photoshop... are you having to rely on documents to be sent to multiple companies and internal company offices and people all over the world... businesses cannot  afford to not be using a standard that will just work always..same as Photoshop...  professionals and armatures alike use it and windows  for very specific reasons...it just works and nothing Linux has to offer comes remotely close (or apple products  being chosen for that very same reason)...and  very justifiably reasons at that ...you simply just hate all things microsoft that is very apparent...that is not a knock against you or an attempt to start a fight...just a statement of fact   and one you fully entitled to make for yourself. you are also allowed to keep trying to convert us to Linux too...i for one will tinker with it time to time and if the time comes it it is on par OR better i ill use it exclusively ...and certainly i plan to use it when it windows 10 has it available...as it is i have only an HP notebook  and linux just not play well with hp at the moment.... I also have some andriod phones and an ipad... certainly i understand that the cloud and servers and android   run Linux based systems and run them extremity well...but again i beg to differ that any  linux desktop has  come remotely close to  ease of use for a desktop applications when compared to windows and apple os...again not a knock against you or linux but most users do not want to stray towards  linux as yet...

we can have differing opinions on this and remain on good terms i hope

I would argue that Windows 10 is the last nail in the coffin for Microsoft OS's, when they so blatantly showed how they are working for the NSA collecting encrypted data from all their users, prompting skilled users to create programs to prevent at least some of the spying. On top of that, in their eagerness to please the Surveillance State they forced or nagged people into installing Win10, without even charging for it. One does not have to be much of a conspiracy theorist to figure out that the US Government/NSA is paying handsomely to have spyware installed on hundreds of millions of computers all over the world.

The future belongs to Linux, but maybe something new has to emerge for it to take over the desktop arena, maybe a new graphical environment is needed, like Wayland.

I use both Windows and Linux. I find these OS wars amusing, but of no consequence or importance.

4 hours ago, banned said:

I use both Windows and Linux. I find these OS wars amusing, but of no consequence or importance.

I find most t people who use Windows O/S delusional  in a world   were Android Linux O/S out sells  Windows O/S 10 to 1 at home . Most people who debate about Windows being the number #1 desktop O/S  just done the free upgrade thing or pirate it they dont even support there own cause. I help Microsoft out more than most of them because I buy new units with windows on it every so often regardless  if i put Linux on them or Not  The price of windows is in the PC. If they actually bought windows 10  they would have a debate  but most have not bought nothing since windows 7 and many didn't buy it then they stole it. :P

Linux Desktop   is ran off donations expect for some types of business  and  its survives just fine and look all the different O/S to chose from and most each one has there own forums and they have there own news sites etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

So saying no one uses Linux Desktop  is just being delusional.

Windows is going to get really boring  and there talking about making just Windows X forever

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

That means by 2023 there only be one version left with support and in 2050 they  will be using and talking about windows 10 .  :)

The only reason I come to Windows sites is to martian the Windows pcs i have left I mostly only go on mine to do updates . But by 2023 if things dont change alot I wont need Windows sites any more.

Linux has never been the 1#  desktop but as they go out of fashion they could be .  Even though there's millions using out dated windows boxes thats not making Microsoft no money, what you buy in the past dont help today.  Even Mac OSX  is out selling windows  now days years before it was predeclared to happen . Microsoft done this by giving Windows away free  Its like they dont care what happens to Windows  anymore and want to be a leader in the smartphone market  and/ or make a Linux O/S. It would much easier for them if they just gave windows away free to home users there never going make any money on it  and sell Linux Like RHE does and Windows to business .  Microsoft hired Wim Coekaerts who made Oracle Linux so they got big plains  for Linux,

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/01/microsoft_lures_oracles_linux_exec/

I am sure Microsoft is planning on making money off of apps and cloud apps/storage.  They know that that is where most of the money will be from now on.  As already pointed out desktops will always have a use but fewer people will be using them.

As for Linux, I use it at times with a dual boot system and like it but face Linux is better for server use or for use as android where it is locked down and supported by a company.  The main problem with Linux for desktop use is that most of the standard programs that everyone wants either doesn't run on it or can be tweaked with wine to run.  But even wine is a big hassle.  Yes there are Linux programs but in many cases, they are just to much trouble to learn and not as good as the windows versions.  

The other problem with Linux for desktop use is there isn't really a version with the exception of possibly Ubuntu that has solid support.  Especially if you use proprietary drivers of any kind.  A simple kernel upgrade can bust the whole system causing much labor to fix.  And even library upgrades can break software again causing major work to fix.  This is just not what most people want to spend time doing on a computer.

These issues will never be fixed and Linux while solid will continue to be mainly server software or tablet and phone software in the form of Android.  Nothing wrong with that though.

1 hour ago, Beamslider said:

I am sure Microsoft is planning on making money off of apps and cloud apps/storage.  They know that that is where most of the money will be from now on.  As already pointed out desktops will always have a use but fewer people will be using them.

As for Linux, I use it at times with a dual boot system and like it but face Linux is better for server use or for use as android where it is locked down and supported by a company.  The main problem with Linux for desktop use is that most of the standard programs that everyone wants either doesn't run on it or can be tweaked with wine to run.  But even wine is a big hassle.  Yes there are Linux programs but in many cases, they are just to much trouble to learn and not as good as the windows versions.  

The other problem with Linux for desktop use is there isn't really a version with the exception of possibly Ubuntu that has solid support.  Especially if you use proprietary drivers of any kind.  A simple kernel upgrade can bust the whole system causing much labor to fix.  And even library upgrades can break software again causing major work to fix.  This is just not what most people want to spend time doing on a computer.

These issues will never be fixed and Linux while solid will continue to be mainly server software or tablet and phone software in the form of Android.  Nothing wrong with that though.

I never got involved with Linux  for it too be easy , I got involved  because i like  to learn more about computing I was so bored with windows its not funny and  i really dont like the way Microsoft is headed with there O/S. I done learned every thing i needed to know about windows 10 times over . Most stuff about  windows is repeated over and over again  . I  learn about Linux the same way i learned about windows by reading a lot but the difference is I can just Distro hop and learn something new  if i get bored like i do on Windows .  Not Windows 10 for life .      If you're  lazy  and dont want to learn I suggest you stay on Windows for now tell something takes its place. 

As far as the apps they try to sell no one wants  them,  they want legacy apps that run fine in older versions of windows . People who want phone apps want ones sold by Google or Apple and they want them for Apple or Android  products  not Windows .  Microsoft  is taking a big risk that no one is interested in . They sell  less Windows PC and phones units  combined than any of the others that sell units  than Andorid and even Apple is out sells them . Linux is open source  some sell PC units with it but the O/S dont cost you extra  on it , but very little do sell it,  but if you bought one . i would suggest you wipe it reinstall a clean install  without the oem crap,

Linux  is  not trying to make money selling to home users its free  as long as you use open source .  Microsoft is the only one left trying to sell  its OS  on old hardware  and new to home users.on the PC  MAC OSX upgrades are free . So its no one but Microsoft's problem .. Its not Linux problem its always free .

I love Linux i can do my entertainment on it just fine  and do more than a smart phone  can do and every bit of it was free .  This is the same reason most use a smart phone  most the time,  they no longer need Windows very often .  I  use Linux like most use there smart phone  but I have a 1080p wide screen  and dont need windows very often  .When I get on windows its laggy   to me and I want to get back on Linux.   :P

r0bRU5W.png

On 10/4/2016 at 3:55 PM, dMog said:

are you a heavy user of Photoshop...

are you having to rely on documents to be sent to multiple companies

and internal company offices and people all over the world...

businesses cannot  afford to not be using a standard that will just work always..

same as Photoshop...  professionals and amateurs alike 

use it and windows  for very specific reasons...it just works

:cheers:

On 12/4/2016 at 8:55 AM, dMog said:

Photoshop..

Its estimated  only like 1 out of 20 PC users use photoshop  at all . I’ve not installed in years  and when I did i just pirated  it .And never really liked it.  There stuff is all bloat ware  to me .  Thats why so many people look for portables  of it so they don’t have to install it .

http://lab.softwarestudies.com/2012/09/how-many-people-in-world-use-photoshop.html

Adobe and Linux never really got along I guess photoshop is OK if you’re  into working with pictures  Adobe there sort of like windows there products rank up there as some the most exploited  in the world.

https://www.its.ny.gov/security-advisory/multiple-vulnerabilities-adobe-products-could-allow-remote-code-execution-apsb15

The truth comes out: Microsoft needs Linux

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-truth-comes-out-microsoft-needs-linux/

17jT4hc.jpg

*Do professionals have the Time (=Money),

and most important,

the flexibility to endanger their Work (=Reputation)

and end up with another OS (= Linux)

that likely won't support the specialized

Hardware & Apps (Software)

professionals use?

In the real-world of professionals,

there is no space for this kind of experimentation.

Anyone who has been dealing with professionals

has been pretty-aware of it.

[With all due respect...

No intention to start another Windows vs Linux  quarrel]

I dont disagree that a lot business  use windows but also lot businesses pay for RHE Linux too , and they  buy MAC OSX too.  Most business are going buy what there going buy any ways .  The problem Microsoft has has never been with big business Windows 10 is not even free to them . The problem is with Home users  and  the fact there's 600 million PCs in use that are more than 5 years old.  I'm not a businesses I'm a home user so what Microsoft does or dont do for them dont  effect  me at all . But when they start making free versions of windows full of adware to make money off ads because they not been able sell windows to home users since much  since 2013 that effects me and thats when I start using alternatives that dont have adware   because it ticks me because i paid for windows 8 and windows 8.1. Its too easy for me too replace it  at home and  what work does is there businesses.   That's  were Microsoft's  priority is at is with business   and not the home users because they dont make them any money. So they give you  data harvesting and make ads from you're info so they can try to profit  because you didn't  buy  windows so you're being punished .

Archived