worldsdream

after upgrading from win8.1 licensed to win10. i go to computer settings-> connect to internet to activate windows?

• Replies 202
  • Views 49.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
november_ra1n

after upgrading from win8.1 licensed to win10. i go to computer settings-> connect to internet to activate windows?

Didnt you get activated after Upgrading? You should be activated without doing anything also did you keep your internet connection on during upgrading?

worldsdream

Didnt you get activated after Upgrading? You should be activated without doing anything also did you keep your internet connection on during upgrading?

yes internet was on. I only did upgrade. when i want to manually activate--> windows cant activate, try again later.

november_ra1n

yes internet was on. I only did upgrade.

Not sure what went wrong i have tested 2 times on VMware once on real machine to upgrade all was successfully activated after i done activation and skipping the keys during upgrade also lots of people done the same way.

I only think that maybe Windows does not deject your internet during upgrading.

However i always open DVD ISO and click setup to start upgrading rather than using burn ISO with PC boot.

worldsdream

yes internet was on. I only did upgrade.

Not sure what went wrong i have tested 2 times on VMware once on real machine to upgrade all was successfully activated after i done activation and skipping the keys during upgrade also lots of people done the same way.

I only think that maybe Windows does not deject your internet during upgrading.

However i always open DVD ISO and click setup to start upgrading rather than using burn ISO with PC boot.

I also did extract the iso and opened up setup. I did as described. Strange

november_ra1n

I also did extract the iso and opened up setup. I did as described. Strange

I have no idea all i suggest to activate with KMS Activator. --- ## Read the Post reply #14 >>> #

PS: I have seen some people did not get activated even they use original Windows key bad thins is if you upgrade over your legit key and something goes wrong key get invalid and can not go back older version to activate it again. It is pathetic about MS.

yes internet was on. I only did upgrade. when i want to manually activate--> windows cant activate, try again later.

How did you activate Windows 8.1 ? Was that permanent activation ?

Same problem here.

Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10. After installation: Control Panel > system > Activate Windows > (in new window) Activaye.

After 10 seconds: Windows can't activate. Try later again.

tried more than 10 x. I think return to Windows 8.

I did the backup activation by microsoft tools, some problem?

Nope you can use any backup tool you wish to in case something goes wrong during upgrade of Windows 10 you can reactivate with reinstall backup files.

tnks november, I have another question, how do I turn off windows update in Windows 10? It's possible?

I think you can turn off the windows update. Go to service and find Windows Update double click it. Stop and at startup drop down select disable.

**service can be access at All Control Panel Items -> Administrative Tools - > services

Is there any way or trick to upgrade windows 10 from windows 8.1 enterprise ? or i must do clean install first for windows 8.1 pro then upgrade to windows 10 ? thank you.

Same problem here.

Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10. After installation: Control Panel > system > Activate Windows > (in new window) Activaye.

After 10 seconds: Windows can't activate. Try later again.

tried more than 10 x. I think return to Windows 8.

You have to open Microsoft Account before to press the Activate button.

you don't need a windows account to activate.

The servers are busy.....Patience is the best remedy

november_ra1n

I installed a MAK key for my Windows 8.1 and downloaded windows 10 iso and upgraded the OS. Now windows 10 says its permanently activated. Is that supposed to happen?

Notice:

=======================

Some people already getting through and activated permanently just today.

As some people has said be patient cause MS is getting millions of upgrading at the moment. In this forum and I see another forum even legit license holder has same trouble.

---------------------------------------------------

Try to use command prompt with admin

slmgr.vbs /ato

Or

1. Wait few days and if nothing change try over the activation again going back to your previous edition:

How to downgrade Windows 10: Go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 in a few easy steps --- see post reply #655 >>>

2. Make sure your Windows 7, 8/8.1 activated. After that try to upgrade again with reading carefully instruction posted on page #1 >>>

Good Luck. : )

worldsdream

Today i opened up my pc. It's activated. So yeah it works! Just give it time. Server is requesting to much!

november_ra1n

Today i opened up my pc. It's activated. So yeah it works! Just give it time. Server is requesting to much!

I am glad you get it through yesterday was the MSDN Release & Upgrade on WU millions PC was upgrading probaby MS Server could not manage all in the same time.

worldsdream

So do i need to save my product key with that program just like windows 8?

Can i always do a clean install of win10 now?

november_ra1n

So do i need to save my product key with that program just like windows 8?

Can i always do a clean install of win10 now?

Every upgrade gets same dummy key and yes you can do clean install as many times as you wish.

Just in case always better backup activation --- Backup Activation

I think it's good to make a system image back-up whether have to do HW changes. Is Acronis True Image 2014 working on Windows10 ?!

TheEmpathicEar

Dear november ra1n!

1. win8.1 pro retail activated (by phone) and using local account

2. upgrade to win10 pro still on local account

3. win10 pro permanently activated

And here are the questions

I want to do clean install win 10 (format everything from drive) - still using local account (do not want to use ms account)

- will this work WITHOUT using ms account ?

- do I have to backup win 10 activation before clean install, or ms will see my hardware id and system gets automatically activated ?

Win 8.1 was installed in legacy bios mode so the upgraded win 10 also works in legacy bios mode

- if I want to do clean win 10 install but in uefi mode now will it work?

Thanks

As far as i know after you successfully Upgrade you can do clean installation any partition of your hard drive as long as you are not going to try to install another PC or change the hard drive.

--------------------------------------------------------
Changing from legacy bios mode to uefi don't want to give you wrong advice but i suggest search and read ---- :rtfaq:
Converting from bios (legacy) to uefi - How?

This BIOS vs UEFI crap gives me a headache. However, it seems as UEFI is required for a hard drive over a certain capacity?

I never used KMS activation before,
If i use KMS activation, can i still update my windows 10 ? or it's blocked by the activation ?

Thank you.

Archived