Nsane Grammar School

rudrax

Should I use were or was in this sentence?

Two topics posted more or less at the same time(!) was merged into one...

As for your sentence, it's "were". Rather, I would write that in more appropriate way.

"Consecutive topics (that are)* posted around same time by same user gets merged."

I've used the word "consecutive" instead of "two" because a user may post more than two topics/posts around same time.

*the part "that are" can be kept hidden if you know it should be there by the rule. If you don't know the rule and write the sentence without "that are", it will be considered as a grammatically wrong sentence. This is really weird right but it is done sometimes to make the pronunciation more fluent.

• Replies 250
  • Views 43.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Consecutive topics (that are)* posted around same time by same user gets merged."

Why do you use "gets" in SINGULAR in your sentence ?

There are at least 2 "consecutive topics", so wouldn't it be correct to use PLURAL form of "get" rather ?

"Consecutive topics (that are)* posted around same time by same user get (or got) merged."

Why do you use "gets" is SINGULAR in your sentence ?

There are at least 2 "consecutive topics", so wouldn't it be correct to use PLURAL form of "get" rather ?

"Consecutive topics (that are)* posted around same time by same user get (or got) merged."

Nice catch there. :thumbsup:

As for your sentence, it's "were". Rather, I would write that in more appropriate way.

I've used the word "consecutive" instead of "two" because a user may post more than two topics/posts around same time.

*the part "that are" can be kept hidden if you know it should be there by the rule. If you don't know the rule and write the sentence without "that are", it will be considered as a grammatically wrong sentence. This is really weird right but it is done sometimes to make the pronunciation more fluent.

They were actually posted by two different forum users at the same time (within a minute apart). Since the second one contained more information it would be a pity to just close/lock that topic because of being a dupe.

They were actually posted by two different forum users at the same time (within a minute apart). Since the second one contained more information it would be a pity to just close/lock that topic because of being a dupe.
In that case your moderating line should be like - "The contents of this topic is similar to another topic posted earlier. Hence, threads are merged."

Are we there yet?

In that case your moderating line should be like - "The contents of this topic is similar to another topic posted earlier. Hence, threads are merged."

@rudrax

Don't you think the version proposed above (# 233) by Joe13 is all what is needed :

Two topics posted at the same time were merged into one.

Simplicity is a virtue that counts.

Besides this version is easier to understand for those whose English is poor (quite many nSane members). :P

@rudrax

Don't you think the version proposed above (# 233) by Joe13 is all what is needed :

Two topics posted at the same time were merged into one.

Simplicity is a virtue that counts.

Besides this version is easier to understand for those whose English is poor (quite many nSane members). :P

Joe13's sentence doesn't say whether the contents of the two topics are same. A mod can not merge topics posted at same time having different contents.

• 2 months later...

we start again now...btw where is the teacher...

we start again now...btw where is the teacher...

Just ask your query. The teachers are always there.

I want to English for competitions as I am preparing for them

can anybody guide me

I want to English for competitions as I am preparing for them

can anybody guide me

What kind of competition? You can follow the instructions and lessons from the 1st post of this thread and ask us your doubts. This way you will learn the basics very well.

I am preparing for SSC. I really find difficult to spot errors in sentences and use of prepositions.

Can anybody help me how to become perfect in them

I am preparing for SSC. I really find difficult to spot errors in sentences and use of prepositions.

Can anybody help me how to become perfect in them

SSC exams are blood suckers.

Anyway, you can post the sentences here and we will try to help you.

• 1 month later...

does not microsoft word have an option to underline words and sentences to correct for proper English...when the cursor is over the incorrect fragment will have a popup tell you what the rule is and offer the correct format??

• 1 month later...

Hello and Aaslam-O-Aliakum guys i wanted to ask something people read this (@) sign in books like math and accounting as (At The Rate Of).Should we suppose to read this Sign (@) Same as book when we are mentioning some e-mail address for example

xxxxx.yyyy@(At)gmail.com or

xxxx.yyyy@(At The Rate Of)gmail.com

Which one is correct

Hello and Aaslam-O-Aliakum guys i wanted to ask something people read this (@) sign in books like math and accounting as (At The Rate Of).Should we suppose to read this Sign (@) Same as book when we are mentioning some e-mail address for example

xxxxx.yyyy@(At)gmail.com or

xxxx.yyyy@(At The Rate Of)gmail.com

For e-mail it's called at not at the rate of

Excatly this is what i m telling to my Co- Workers but still they don,t understand thanks rudrax for confirmation

Excatly this is what i m telling to my Co- Workers but still they don,t understand thanks rudrax for confirmation

Here in our place many well educated people use to say "at the rate of" for "@" in context of email account. I never try to correct them as they are more educated than me. Don't argue with anyone just say it where it matters.

Here in our place many well educated people use to say "at the rate of" for "@" in context of email account. I never try to correct them as they are more educated than me. Don't argue with anyone just say it where it matters.

Probably you are right :unsure:

Archived