Windows 7 testing

bearoninternet

With Windows 7 I am using the same thing I was using with Windows XP.. Eset Smart Security.. I have some other things I run in conjunction.. but for AV, its ESET..

• Replies 330
  • Views 23.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Windows 7 I am using the same thing I was using with Windows XP.. Eset Smart Security.. I have some other things I run in conjunction.. but for AV, its ESET..

I do have a grudge about ESET from 2 years ago... when over commercial'ising/performance neglect had cased my system ...

so good Idea of AV or IS is needed! (apart from CIS; ESET) or any other, that are not big in downloads/updates!

Thanks!

If your going for small.. I would go with Prevx.. but I there may be other areas to consider as well..

Well usually I recommend one of the three that were rated Bronze Silver or Gold for last year.. .. I believe that was ESET- Bronze, Kapersky- Silver, and Norton 2010 - Gold.. Like you I have been burned in the past.. yet I keep an install package of Norton 2010 on hand because of what I have heard about it.. I think if I was going to move away from ESET.. I would probably go with Norton..( I don't know how I would deal with the change in settings ) and I use Prevx as a scanner when I don't want to wait for hours while my system gets heuristically scanned and taken apart to the last boot sector.. ( when I need a quick answer.. ).. I have also heard very good things about the Windows 7 Firewall.. it has come quite a long way since Windows XP...( however with mine I like the integration of ESS an how the components work together in these areas - some would beg to differ greatly ) I have tried out COMODO.. I didn't like some love it... Technically you could use the best rated of each area.. even go with all Microsoft based products.. the performance of them has been quite good in the charts..( Security Essentials, MRT, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Backup and Restore )

Nevertheless I use these things..full circle..

ESET ESS - only real time

Prevx - not Realtime - just scan

Sophos Anti-Rootkit

Spybot Search and Destroy

HiJack This!

Tenable Security - Nessus ... A tool I think most should use at least once..

Heidi Computing - Eraser 5.8.6

TruCrypt ( would be using PGP Desktop 10..but we know how that goes..LOL )

ID USB Lock Key

BIOS Based CMOS Psssword

BIOS Based Drive Lock

R-Studio Network Edition

SuperHashCalc

Acronis True Image Home + Plus Pack 2010 ( so much good in this .. its ridiculous :thumbsup: )

Local Security Policy

Malicious Software Removal Tool

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer - not sure but I think this could be redundant now

Eyeline

CNET Tech Tracker

Software Informer Beta ( needs work )

Windows/Microsoft Update ( have an option of doing Microsoft but its never offered until you install Microsoft Products... )

..Almost forgot Windows 7 Ultimate UAC/HIDS....LUA for regular computer usage..

Thinking about trying out the Windows 7 Vault thing.. dunno.

There are a few others .. and some of it has to do with using safer methods as well..

Okay so I ran across this today and thought it was interesting.. so I thought I would post a link to it..

Resource Monitoring in Your TaskBar!

Not for sure, but it sound easy to apply and use.. I also m not sure about how much usage will or will not take from your system.. I have had experience in the past with Monitoring tools taking too much in CPU RAM and others.. ( like monitoring gadgets.. ) SO personally I use Samurize ( Rainmeter too.. forgot to mention :thumbsup: .. )... like 2% spike to monitor everything even the HD.. and really customizable.. BUT when I seen this I was ' eww cool ' .. and thought it may go with the configuration look of some of your systems a little better.. Anyway give it a go.. There are two different ones and the SuperBar one actually is a five part download of each type of monitoring small files anyway... Anyway let me know how you like it..

I am about to check it out myself..

Hi. in this picture:

desktopix.png

The user have two windows taskbars. Is it possible to do in win7? If it is, how?

Where is the source of the image from? I believe this could possible by using a Rainmeter configuration, that appears to be another TaskBar.. as far as running two of them.. I would say No, but you never know these days with all of the Hacks and Coders running loose.. Recreating the Task bar or like effect would be quite easy and probably something you could find publicly available looking in the right places..

EDIT: I would assume that the one on the left is real..

A question:

Is there a version of upgrade able (retail) Win7 untouched? load of $rappy ones on torrent sites saying so, but really?

A question:

Is there a version of upgrade able (retail) Win7 untouched? load of $rappy ones on torrent sites saying so, but really?

Original Untouched Microsoft MSDN Ultimate 7600.16385.090713-1255 x32 (Retail)

This torrent has been tested by me:- ;)

Site: http://www.mediafire.com

Code: /file/zmmkuyzzwzm/Untouched_MSDN_Ultimate_7600.16385.090713-1255__x32_(Retail).zip

• Administrator

Please sharecode the links in both the posts. ;)

@ DKT27

It's a legal torrent only (no cracks.)

Nice, but did you try upgrade etc?

I tried upgrading (successfully) with this torrent. It's the original from Microsoft (x86).

I've done an in-place-upgrade from the Beta build 7100 (from DVD as well as USB pen drive.)

I've also done an -in-place-upgrade from XP Professional (from DVD as well as USB pen drive.)

You'll get the usual 2 options at the time of installation.:-

01.) Clean Install

02.) Upgrade Install

• Administrator

I had talks with one of the mods and he told me it's recommended to sharecode the links to file hosting sites(even torrents) If I'm not wrong. Links to torrent page is OK. Like thepiratebay.com/xyz is OK. But not thepiratebay.com/xyz.torrent. ;)

• Administrator

Sharecode the links from your post Atasas. ;)

good pm :), i was wondering if windows 7 activated by loaders are better than genuine xp?. and how do i install windows 7 using torrent file?. is there a step by step process?. i'm quite scared to install 7 as it might affect some of my settings. and if i do a clean install, does that mean that i need to delete all my files?. Do you have any problems encountered when using 7 not activated by keys?. thanks :)

good pm :), i was wondering if windows 7 activated by loaders are better than genuine xp?. and how do i install windows 7 using torrent file?. is there a step by step process?. i'm quite scared to install 7 as it might affect some of my settings. and if i do a clean install, does that mean that i need to delete all my files?. Do you have any problems encountered when using 7 not activated by keys?. thanks :)

OK... from beginning:

1- XP is (as Win7) Operating System (OS ) and obviously as you do install another one, avoiding any additional settings, you'd be best of to do clean install

2- Loaders etc for Win7 are good, but With time, I believe, M$ will catch up/fin new ways on how to force you to give it up or get you to the point of new install (IE releasing Service Pack ( SP ))

3- Win7 is much more appealing visually, that uncustomised XP, It dos have few nice features as for tuning and management, but still is not as universal and adaptive like XP(not all got to use programs will work etc)

4-Deleting your files- no!; any PC OS change (ie multiboot, upgrade etc) is usually being began, by backing up of your files in hard form (External DVD or HD(Hard Drive)) or by bit more complicated and less reliable process of saving old files @ the time of install etc. there is another way using partitioning of existing HD , but another potentially complicated process.

5- torrents are Wikipedia is a way of people sharing files between, it has nothing to do with OS. You can use Torrent to download some file "from internet" in order to get it in to a form of DVD/CD, that is OS installation disk. Once you have backed up you files, then you need OS Installation disk to install OS to your PC and then you need a Serial/Patch/Fix/Loader to make your OS fully functional, Find and install required drivers, then You can load/import your files to start using your old PC with New OS installed. Obviously all the programs would have to be installed again.

• Administrator

Josh do you wanna perform an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 or full install?

Thanks for the replies mates:) im using XP SP 3. been wondering of upgrading to 7. does loaders provide long term usage?. i want the visual style of 7 and the glass effect. any ideas on how can i achieve that? currently i have windows 7 theme but no glass effect. :(

does loaders provide long term usage?.

This has been answered by Atasas (check 2 posts above yours.) I prefer to mod the BIOS.

i want the visual style of 7 and the glass effect. any ideas on how can i achieve that? currently i have windows 7 theme but no glass effect. :(

The 2 Programs that can help you achieve transparency on XP are:-

01.) TrueTransparency and

02.) TransBar

NB:-

You may google for the above 2 Programs.

If you truly want glass effect after upgrading to 7 your system must support DirectX 11 or above and I THINK it must have a minimum of 256 MB video or more.. Plus you must have enough ram and PC power to run everything at a level which will not interfere, with any of these aspects.. that way the system doesn't turn it off every time you open a resource intensive program..

The minimum hardware specifications for the glass effect in Windows se7en as per Microsoft is:-

01.) 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

02.) 1 GB of RAM

03.) 128 MB graphics card

04.) A DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports a Windows Display Driver Model Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, and 32 bits per pixel.

05.) The WEI need to be run at least once.

There've been cases reported of Users having been successful in activating the glass effect with a slightly lower specification than the above recommendation by Microsoft.

Archived