Which is the BEST tool that I should use to defragment my HD?

freud

I use PerfectDisk 2008 with no known problems so far. I never really bothered to compare it with Disk Keeper I just tried both and found that PD was less annoying.

Anyway I wanted to suggest that you should not use scheduled defragging because it reduces the life of your disk which is the reason most knowledgeable websites tell you to also disable scheduled defrag in windows vista which is on by default.

I am only referring to schedules that defrag when the system is idle, that is just wasting time. The better thing is to just defrag manually every 2 months or schedule it for monthly defrag. What's the sense in trashing your hdd at every idle instant for almost zero performance gain?

Also does anyone know of a defrag tool that does a good job like PD2008 or Disk Keeper but is less annoying and intrusive? PD and DK have services running in the background which I find unnecessary but I am yet to find a better solution. I don't understand why every program and its dog feels the need to run something in the background, it's like quicktime and adobe all over again.

• Replies 90
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use PerfectDisk 2008 with no known problems so far. I never really bothered to compare it with Disk Keeper I just tried both and found that PD was less annoying.

Anyway I wanted to suggest that you should not use scheduled defragging because it reduces the life of your disk which is the reason most knowledgeable websites tell you to also disable scheduled defrag in windows vista which is on by default.

I am only referring to schedules that defrag when the system is idle, that is just wasting time. The better thing is to just defrag manually every 2 months or schedule it for monthly defrag. What's the sense in trashing your hdd at every idle instant for almost zero performance gain?

Also does anyone know of a defrag tool that does a good job like PD2008 or Disk Keeper but is less annoying and intrusive? PD and DK have services running in the background which I find unnecessary but I am yet to find a better solution. I don't understand why every program and its dog feels the need to run something in the background, it's like quicktime and adobe all over again.

Guess you have not tried Ultimate Defrag? The best!

I myself use perfectdisk for few years now and thinking about trying Ultimate. There is no problem with PD, just want to try something new.

Here is some solution for you.

Administrative service > Service

Change PD91agent start up type to 'Mannual'.

The service will only starts with PD rather then always running.

I will give it a try on your recommendation. Thanks. btw do I need any cures to get the full version? or is it a freeware? :lol:

I will give it a try on your recommendation. Thanks. btw do I need any cures to get the full version? or is it a freeware? :ph34r:

Check the Frontpage, System Tools, you'll find it, if you don't Ctrl+F might do the trick :P

I will give it a try on your recommendation. Thanks. btw do I need any cures to get the full version? or is it a freeware? :lol:

Check the Frontpage, System Tools, you'll find it, if you don't Ctrl+F might do the trick :ph34r:

I am now on the UltimateDefrag website as we speak and for a company that could honestly speak of their product and mention Disk Keeper like that has to be a damn good company that is very confident in their product. Check it out here. UltimateDefrag is definitely a keeper, no pun intended. :P

hmm I seem to be getting some errors accessing the data on the front page so I will try again later, hehe.

Oh yeah, that's true... Uhmmm, I can give you another download link.

Here we go:

Uploaded to http://rapidshare.com. The sharecode is /files/171410650/UltimateDefrag.v2.0.0.55-FFF.rar.

Got it. It will take me a while to get used to all the options in it. quick question it keeps asking me to turn off some boot optimize feature, should I turn it off? what is it?

Oh yeah, that's true... Uhmmm, I can give you another download link.

Here we go:

Uploaded to http://rapidshare.com. The sharecode is /files/171410650/UltimateDefrag.v2.0.0.55-FFF.rar.

Got it. It will take me a while to get used to all the options in it. quick question it keeps asking me to turn off some boot optimize feature, should I turn it off? what is it?

Yeah, you should turn it off, it will 'optimize' your file placement for booting up faster, but UD thinks it's doing a better job without that function, I tend to agree :ph34r:

For all the options check my guide mate! (Uhuh, it looks like even more work than just playing around, but I promise you reading it will make you understand better :P)

Yeah, you should turn it off, it will 'optimize' your file placement for booting up faster, but UD thinks it's doing a better job without that function, I tend to agree :ph34r:

For all the options check my guide mate! (Uhuh, it looks like even more work than just playing around, but I promise you reading it will make you understand better :P )

Ah yes I was reading the long manual that came with it but I think I'd rather read through your guide first. Thanks. Who knew 5MB of UD 2008 could beat down 25MB of PD 2008. That takes truly skillful code. I love it!!!

hmmm

I just defragment HD using Ultimate Defrag and it reports HD is still 9.8% fragmented. What's up with this?

FYI Vista ultimate 32bit

BTW, I don't know about other thing but it seems boot faster.

hmmm

I just defragment HD using Ultimate Defrag and it reports HD is still 9.8% fragmented. What's up with this?

FYI Vista ultimate 32bit

BTW, I don't know about other thing but it seems boot faster.

Uhuh, booting faster is one of the things UD could/will help with.

The fragmented files are probably files that are in use at time of the defragmenting(pagefile, volume shadow copy or something), a boot time defrag could solve this.

I have to ask, am I just not observant or does UD 2008 refuse to tell you what type of defrag it is currently doing? For example I select "Folder/File name" then I click start, all it says on the top right hand corner is "Processing high performance" but this does not tell me what type of defrag is being used and you can highlight any of the defrag modes on the left side even while a defrag is in progress so what am I doing wrong here? Cuz I can't tell what type of defrag is being done. Also on the top drop down menu if you click "Defragmentation" then "Defragment" the "Volatility" method is not there.

I have to ask, am I just not observant or does UD 2008 refuse to tell you what type of defrag it is currently doing? For example I select "Folder/File name" then I click start, all it says on the top right hand corner is "Processing high performance" but this does not tell me what type of defrag is being used and you can highlight any of the defrag modes on the left side even while a defrag is in progress so what am I doing wrong here? Cuz I can't tell what type of defrag is being done. Also on the top drop down menu if you click "Defragmentation" then "Defragment" the "Volatility" method is not there.

The concept of UD is great, how they worked it out is a bit 'weird' at some points :P

Just make sure you select the method you want to use before you start your defrag and then don't select another one, this is fail proof.

There's a link I'd like to add here, sure most of you have read it before but anyways, here goes:

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/0...ootout-all.html

Quite an old one though...

Now the M$ condoning geeks will stand by Contig and Page defrag and most of us folks with supposedly "smaller" brains watch PerfectDisk and Diskeeper tear each other to shreds leaving us in a big big dilemma... I say if u don't wanna tax ur brain, go for PerfectDisk.

Otherwise i shall add another one to all of the other posts. Ultimate Defrag. And the writeup by shought. I still haven't got myself to do it but its nsane n we can rely on wat the bosses say :P

Just been monitoring Diskeeper 2009 13.0.835 (Pro Premier) over the past week and I dare say - it rocks!!!!

I've tried lots of programs... accordin' to ya which is the best one? (windows XP, AMD Sempron 1,6 ghz, 512 mb ram)

THANK'S!

Ultimate Defrag

Just been monitoring Diskeeper 2009 13.0.835 (Pro Premier) over the past week and I dare say - it rocks!!!!

Yes... but not on Vista...

Just wait for Windows 7 ;)
Yup I can't wait for Windows 7. I am expecting recommended specs for it to be like this:

- Intel Quad Core i7 or AMD Fusion Quad X2

- 16GB DDR5

- 50GB install space where the install disc is probably a 25GB Blu-Ray Disc, LOL.

and the other expected things to look out for like:

- multiple cracks released even before the official release date even though in the press release Microsoft assures the world that Windows 7 has the best anti piracy system on the planet.

- the week after the official release windows update has a critical fix for a flaw that could allow a remote attacker to gain complete control over the system, even though Microsoft will again boast that Windows 7 is the most secure OS ever made.

- DirectX 11 will be made only for windows 7 thus forcing gamers to buy it, LOL.

LOLLL, it's all de ja vu, the same cycle over and over. As soon as there is a quantum leap in CPU architecture and other system hardware the nerds at MS will sit and think "Ok guys there is a new intel i7 on the horizon, lets think how we could possibly make an OS that makes it look like a Pentium 3, while releasing 50 different versions of the same OS so we could target every possible niche market on the planet and suck everyone dry and of course the 50th version will come with all the features including windows calculator that now solves differential equations and this 50th version will be priced so high it will compensate for the shitty xbox game console department that has been losing money since inception due to shit quality manufacturing process".

Well I hope you guys have as much fun reading that as I did writing it. LOL It is just meant as comic relief of course so I hope no fanboys get offended. I come in peace. ;)

You might be right, you might be wrong, all I know MS can't afford to fuck up much more... If the people that know what they're talking about going to label Windows 7 the same as Vista, they're gonna have a big problem.

But remember this is about defragmenting a HD ;)

Not to offend any1's sentiments, but i just tried JKDefrag and i must say it did quite an impressive job, though i'd like som of u to confirm this...

Archived