Which is the BEST tool that I should use to defragment my HD?

freud

Not to offend any1's sentiments, but i just tried JKDefrag and i must say it did quite an impressive job, though i'd like som of u to confirm this...

JKDefrag is the best defrag among freeware!

• Replies 90
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to offend any1's sentiments

Not at all - we all have opinions (we're open to trying out just about anything.)

but i just tried JKDefrag and i must say it did quite an impressive job, though i'd like som of u to confirm this...

I agree with kotaxor - JKDefrag is the best defragmenter amongst freeware. I, myself used it for around 4 months before I ran into operational issues.) Unfortunately, none of us at this board could resolve those issues and I started using Diskeeper.

As is true with all other software, too - it's always wise to choose the defragmenter that works best in one's particular system. The opinions posted in the forums serve well as basic guidlines.

@LeetPirate: Seriously, if M$ decides to f*ck Windows 7, they can go to hell :mellow:

I think M$ can't come up with anything worse than Vista (come to think of it, no one can!), so no worry! <_<

Anyway that's my opinion..... :dance2:

As for defragmenter, guess Donaldo is right... try it and if it work for you, its good. May it be PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, O&O or UltimateDefrag and even JKDefrag.

For some reason that statement is not computing in my brain, I keep getting a division by zero error every time I think about it because to us nsane folks all software is free!!! LOL. <_< .

I have a question about the defragger in vista. Anyone knows wtf it actually does except spin a little circle that is? As in what type of defrag is it performing and why the hell is it such an epic failure and takes days long? Even the windows 2000 defrag tool is better than the Vista one but I can't figure out what exactly they changed or were trying to accomplish. Werd on the street is windows 7 will be lightweight like a remake of windows 98 except it will work this time, lol. It would be good if those idiots could build a better defrag tool for windows 7. I mean seriously it can't be that hard, they should just buy out the guys who made JK defrag and use it, like how they bought the hotmail code from the Indian dude. One can hope, cuz for sure I am going to "purchase" this new windows 7 as soon as it's ready. :mellow:

I think M$ can't come up with anything worse than Vista (come to think of it, no one can!), so no worry! <_<

He he . . . . . :mellow:

For some reason that statement is not computing in my brain, I keep getting a division by zero error every time I think about it because to us nsane folks all software is free!!! LOL. ;) .

LOL, freeware or free ware? :) or shareware? Well, we want to shared what is free and freed what is shared?

O&O seems very stable and does a decent enough job of it, Diskeeper is becoming a pain in the but these days, the last time I used it I could not get it to complete a boot time defrag.

What's so fuss about Ultimate Defrag?

It made book little faster but boot time went back to normal phase with in couple of boots.

It takes awfully long time to defragment.

It is understandable for the first run but I am running it for the second time now, and time left is '8 h 53 min' ;)

What's so fuss about Ultimate Defrag?

It made book little faster but boot time went back to normal phase with in couple of boots.

It takes awfully long time to defragment.

It is understandable for the first run but I am running it for the second time now, and time left is '8 h 53 min' ;)

The fuss is that it doesn't only defragment but actually optimizes the placement of your files. It's use is shown best when it's used on a nearly full HD, but it also causes a performance increase on systems with a nearly empty or less full HD.

You probably still have your boot optimize function(inside Windows) turned on which will automatically place the files needed at boot at the best location(this feature has been made by Microsoft, because of that it should be obvious that it won't work as expected, thus not causing a performance increase, but a decrease). UD asks you to turn this off at the initial run, how to turn it off by yourself, Google is your friend.

It takes more time than normal defraggers because it does more, it does not only defragment your HD but also optimizes your files placement.

The 'excepted time till completion' time in UD has proven itself to be crazy... Some have reported it showing 6 days till completion, but this is obviously BS. Please don't pay attention to it, as it will sometimes be way off down and other times up :wacko:.

I read through the guide (nice work, btw) but it seems a little more complicated and involved than I want to get into. Are there any simple default settings that will get me at least some improvement without my having to do so much work?

Or would I be better off using Perfect Disk on it's default settings and hope that it's better than nothing?

I read through the guide (nice work, btw) but it seems a little more complicated and involved than I want to get into. Are there any simple default settings that will get me at least some improvement without my having to do so much work?

Or would I be better off using Perfect Disk on it's default settings and hope that it's better than nothing?

LOL! Use the 'Auto' mode then.

LOL! Use the 'Auto' mode then.

As kotaxor suggested, use the Auto mode... But you did skip some parts of my guide mate, I explicitly told you not to at the beginning ;) It is mentioned :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just did a defrag with Ultimate Defrag v2.0.0.55 and I decided to to a boot time defrag as well so I scheduled the boot time defrag and it completed but when I logged into windows I got a windows system error popup box that says "Unknown Hard Error". Everything continues to load as usual and the error moved to the systray and took the form of a balloon with the same message. So does anyone have a clue as to wtf an Unknown Hard Error is and why Ultimate Defrag caused it? :D

I have a feeling I should not use UD for boot time defrags until the next version comes along.

Well I just did a defrag with Ultimate Defrag v2.0.0.55 and I decided to to a boot time defrag as well so I scheduled the boot time defrag and it completed but when I logged into windows I got a windows system error popup box that says "Unknown Hard Error". Everything continues to load as usual and the error moved to the systray and took the form of a balloon with the same message. So does anyone have a clue as to wtf an Unknown Hard Error is and why Ultimate Defrag caused it? :D

I have a feeling I should not use UD for boot time defrags until the next version comes along.

Maybe this might help,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314474

I checked it out but sadly my error did not give any further details to help me figure out which file was bad. It didn't even have the stop or the error code either. the window was named "Windows - System Error" and the message inside was "Unknown Hard Error", that's the full extent of information it gave. In all my years of using, breaking, and fixing pc this is probably the first time I ever encountered a message like that, lol. It didn't even bsod so I don't think it left any dump or log files behind. Strangest thing I ever seen. :D I guess the important thing is it seems to have fixed itself as it did not appear in subsequent reboots. I might go back to PerfectDisk for boot time defrags and UD for everything else but first I will wait for the next release of UD and hopefully they will have a great changelog of fixes.

I checked it out but sadly my error did not give any further details to help me figure out which file was bad. It didn't even have the stop or the error code either. the window was named "Windows - System Error" and the message inside was "Unknown Hard Error", that's the full extent of information it gave. In all my years of using, breaking, and fixing pc this is probably the first time I ever encountered a message like that, lol. It didn't even bsod so I don't think it left any dump or log files behind. Strangest thing I ever seen. :P I guess the important thing is it seems to have fixed itself as it did not appear in subsequent reboots. I might go back to PerfectDisk for boot time defrags and UD for everything else but first I will wait for the next release of UD and hopefully they will have a great changelog of fixes.

Using the boot time defrag in UD, I did not have this problem.

You might also like to check for malware and virus, its sometime remove some drivers from your system.

Use Malwarebyte to scan, it is a very useful application.

Using the boot time defrag in UD, I did not have this problem.

You might also like to check for malware and virus, its sometime remove some drivers from your system.

Use Malwarebyte to scan, it is a very useful application.

Yea I too never had a problem the first time I ran the UD boot defrag but this second time I did. You know strangely the first time it ran, it rebooted the machine after it was done but this time it went straight to windows so maybe that was a bug that allowed the problem to accur. Does yours always reboot after it finishes the boot time defrag?

What a coincidence, I recently found out about Malwarebytes and have been using it along with Threatfire and Nod32 for a while now. Malwarebytes is a very good app I agree.

Some Users do report this anomaly with UltimaeDefrag - it does not seem to perform as consistently on boot-time defrag as it does in the other arenas of performance. However, one needs to also take into consideration, that the boot-time defrag is a feature that was just recently re-introduced (almost as an afterthought.) I'm sure future releases will see a more thorough bred and complete defragging tool.

@LeePirate

So far, use the boot time defrag about 3 to 4 time only, everytime it auto reboot after defrag.

Personally I don't recommend too many boot time defrag though.

I did it 3 to 4 times just to check if there is any problem. I think once in a few months is sufficient.

@LeePirate

So far, use the boot time defrag about 3 to 4 time only, everytime it auto reboot after defrag.

Personally I don't recommend too many boot time defrag though.

I did it 3 to 4 times just to check if there is any problem. I think once in a few months is sufficient.

Actually you only 'have to' run a boot time defrag once every reinstall. Since the files that are moved at defrag usually don't get fragmented that fast(nor will they be moved). But if you happen to notice one of them is fragmented then be sure to run one.

Actually you only 'have to' run a boot time defrag once every reinstall. Since the files that are moved at defrag usually don't get fragmented that fast(nor will they be moved). But if you happen to notice one of them is fragmented then be sure to run one.

Well, you are the expert. Still waiting for your tutorial on this matter. :P

@kotaxor

LoLz maybe shought forgot ;)

I could've... But I didn't, it just so happens to be that I really don't have the time at the moment, anyway, the guide about the Boot time defrag module won't be as complicated as the guide on UltimateDefrag 2008 since the boot time defrag module has been configured to pick the best settings(which it partly does a great job at), but of course we humans know better, we always do :P I can't promise you guys anything on the time frame atm.

Archived