Essential FREE tools you need

rKAnjEL

• Replies 125
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried it a while ago and didn't like, and for some reason it was a resource hog... :dunno:

You mean the problem with the startup bar taking up 100% CPU? This is solved now and the scan speed is 'vastly improved'(quoted from Spybot S&D changelog :P), so I think you should give it another go. How do you actually test these programs? I have always found Spybot S&D the best in action, others might have better looks 'n stuff, but that's not what this is about is it :P What would you prefer: a) a program that uses less resources, looks great, but doesn't find shit or B) a program that uses much resources(when used, Spybot is on-demand), has crappy looks and finds nearly anything you could possibly have on your PC. :P

You mean the problem with the startup bar taking up 100% CPU? This is solved now and the scan speed is 'vastly improved'(quoted from Spybot S&D changelog ), so I think you should give it another go. How do you actually test these programs? I have always found Spybot S&D the best in action, others might have better looks 'n stuff, but that's not what this is about is it What would you prefer: a) a program that uses less resources, looks great, but doesn't find shit or a program that uses much resources(when used, Spybot is on-demand), has crappy looks and finds nearly anything you could possibly have on your PC.

What about SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware? I think both of them are good.

Well, I tried to limit it to only 2 products per category or else it could be a rather long list :P

I might wanna check out this site

http://www.techsupportalert.com

is an colection of freeware utilities categorized by type and it's a good starting place for building a "free" system.

Enjoy :P

I already know that website, and it's an excellent source, but I'm only trying to make a miniature list not an encyclopedia :P

What about SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware? I think both of them are good.

Well, I tried to limit it to only 2 products per category or else it could be a rather long list :P

How about adding FileZilla to FTP Client/Server then? B)

I don't know if it classifies here anywhere, but ComboFix is very efficient and helped me through some bad times with malware (out of all other programs which I tried, it was the only one to clean my computer AND make it faster)... Also SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are IMO the best on-demand malware scanners.

And I would also recommend Foobar2000 as the audio media player, it's freeware. It's no Winamp in terms of style or smth, but it has quality, easy to use and you can download skins for it.

I don't know if it classifies here anywhere, but ComboFix is very efficient and helped me through some bad times with malware (out of all other programs which I tried, it was the only one to clean my computer AND make it faster)... Also SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are IMO the best on-demand malware scanners.

And I would also recommend Foobar2000 as the audio media player, it's freeware. It's no Winamp in terms of style or smth, but it has quality, easy to use and you can download skins for it.

ComboFix isn't one of those fancy programs... it runs in command and it scans for problems really quickly. I didn't hear about it before either, but it helped me a lot and I believe it even made my comp faster. I recommend it :)

Also a few programs worth mentioning are HiJackThis (which most people know) and AVZ4 ...

And for cd/dvd burning I can also recommend ImgBurn. I've only used Alcohol and Nero before to burn, but they're not freeware. ImgBurn got the job done.

And maybe a category for Virtual CD/DVD-ROM program... Daemon Tools being one of the candidates.

ComboFix isn't one of those fancy programs... it runs in command and it scans for problems really quickly. I didn't hear about it before either, but it helped me a lot and I believe it even made my comp faster. I recommend it :)

Also a few programs worth mentioning are HiJackThis (which most people know) and AVZ4 ...

And for cd/dvd burning I can also recommend ImgBurn. I've only used Alcohol and Nero before to burn, but they're not freeware. ImgBurn got the job done.

And maybe a category for Virtual CD/DVD-ROM program... Daemon Tools being one of the candidates.

• 2 weeks later...
ComboFix isn't one of those fancy programs... it runs in command and it scans for problems really quickly. I didn't hear about it before either, but it helped me a lot and I believe it even made my comp faster. I recommend it ;)

Combofix isn't for the faint hearted, its program changes once every few days, as such whatever you download today will be useless in a few days time.

You can get it here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Its codes is secret. Use it only as a last resort as it is not a 'cure all' product.

I find Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot very useful.

ComboFix isn't one of those fancy programs... it runs in command and it scans for problems really quickly. I didn't hear about it before either, but it helped me a lot and I believe it even made my comp faster. I recommend it ;)

Combofix isn't for the faint hearted, its program changes once every few days, as such whatever you download today will be useless in a few days time.

You can get it here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Its codes is secret. Use it only as a last resort as it is not a 'cure all' product.

I find Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot very useful.

Thanks for the info, but it sounds like a hassle to me though ;)

Just a quick list:

Will get you links and everything else later:

image viewer:

Irfanview

CD/DVD Burner:

Imgburn

Audio Player:

Foobar

Winamp

Video Player:

Zoomplayer

Videolan (VLC)

Anti-Spyware/malware:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Internet Browser:

K-Meleon

Maxthon (classic)

Just a quick list:

image viewer:

Irfanview

CD/DVD Burner:

Imgburn

Audio Player:

Foobar

Winamp

Video Player:

Zoomplayer

Videolan (VLC)

Anti-Spyware/malware:

Internet Browser:

K-Meleon

Maxthon (classic)

Thanks, but I chose to limit it only to 2 choices per category.

Multimedia converter: SUPER (Can be found on the frontpage).

I hate SUPER but still it's very useful, gotta give it that.

I would add two "sandbox" isolation software: sandboxie (nagware) and safe space (freeware, but will not develop any more)

I use SandBoxie, but most users won't understand terms like "sandbox" or "isolation", I think it suites more advanced users.

You just hate it cous it's black, no I mean, because the looks suck :clap: But it converts the most formats :secret:

einstürzende
Just a quick list:

image viewer:

Irfanview

CD/DVD Burner:

Imgburn

Audio Player:

Foobar

Winamp

Video Player:

Zoomplayer

Videolan (VLC)

Anti-Spyware/malware:

Internet Browser:

K-Meleon

Maxthon (classic)

Thanks, but I chose to limit it only to 2 choices per category.

I would add two "sandbox" isolation software: sandboxie (nagware) and safe space (freeware, but will not develop any more)

I use SandBoxie, but most users won't understand terms like "sandbox" or "isolation", I think it suites more advanced users.

Actually sandboxie and safespace are very easy and OOB usable softwares, terms are also not so heavy to understand if you explain properly, it is "your" thread and if you know value of it you also know that it is almost impenetrable solutions... (vulnerabilities: some keyloggers and malware/POCs which are especially created to bypass them)

Archived