ESET V4 Support / Problems / Questions

shought

This topic is not to be used for discussing fixes and problems with fixes! If you have a question regarding or a problem with one of the available fixes for ESET V4 use this topic.

If you don't know if a fix caused your problem or not please post here, as soon as we find out the posts will be moved to the proper topic(if necessary).

Post in this topic if you are experiencing problems with ESET V4.

If one problem is too big too be handled in this topic I will move the posts to a new separate topic concerning that specific problem :) You can request this as well, but most of the time problems are solved within five posts.

When a problem is solved a description of the problem and how to solve it may be added to this post(it would be nice if you'd supply a description and solution of the problem which I could just copy and paste, but this is not necessary).

• Replies 584
  • Views 87.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

|----------------------------------|

| Support information |

|----------------------------------|

Delayed updates:

Don't worry about your updates being delayed, it is possible that you will be a few days(maybe even a week) behind on the updates. This is due to the fact that ESET's servers are overloaded by the heavy usage of many users that want to try out the new version. There is no way to fix this and all you can do is wait, posts concerning this will be either deleted or ignored.

Internet problems:

If ESET v4 is causing some Internet problems, please try the 'Repair' button in the Uninstall window first, before you get rid off it ;) This could solve some(or all) problems :)

Extra process 'dllhost.exe':

This process is used by ESET to check your system for missing Windows updates, I however have never 'missed' a Windows update and I can't think of a way in which that would occur, so it's probably safe to disable this ;) How to: Double-click the ESET logo, switch to Advanced mode, enter Advanced setup(Setup, Advanced setup), go to Tools, System updates and set the drop-down box to 'No updates'. This option has nothing to do with updates from ESET ;)

ESET and uTorrent:

If you are using uTorrent and ESET you should set this option: Double-click the ESET logo, switch to Advanced mode, enter Advanced setup(Setup, Advanced setup), go to Antivirus and antispyware, Web access protection, HTTP/HTTPS, Web browsers and put a (blue) cross at uTorrent.exe :P

Windows XP nagging about ESET:

Credits to Donaldo, LeetPirate and Bizarre for these solutions.

The nagging can occur under the following circumstances:

- Outdated 'signature database'

- Disabled 'Real-time file system protection'

- Disabled 'Antivirus and antispyware protection'

- Uninstalled Antivirus, etc. etc.

Solutions:

Avoiding the check, with an option:

1.1 Click 'Start'

1.2 Click 'Control Panel'

1.3 Double Click 'Security Center'

1.4 Click 'Change the way Security Center alerts me'

1.5 Uncheck 'Virus Protection' and press 'Ok'.

OR

Disable the Windows Security Center service:

2.1 Click 'Start' then 'run' type 'services.msc' before jabbing 'Enter'

2.2 Right-click the 'Security Center' service and pick Properties, then change 'Automatic' to 'Disabled' in the drop-down box.

Version 4 of EAV uses only about 15MB of RAM (in total) compare to version 3 which uses about 48MB.

Does anyone else notice this? or is it just my pc?

This is even lower that version 2, which uses about 30MB

I guss it just your's PC. on mine the ekrn using in 45MB of my ram and the egui using in 2MB of my ram.

(47MB total)

Running V3 here it is 8 MB for egui.exe and 45 MB for ekrn.exe :party: As soon as I install V4(should be this afternoon) I'll tell you guys more.

I guss it just your's PC. on mine the ekrn using in 45MB of my ram and the egui using in 2MB of my ram.

(47MB total)

Hmmm, you are right, on one pc with 256MB RAM the usage is only 15MB. On another pc with 2GB RAM, the usage is about 48MB (that is about the same as version 3).

Wonder why? :party:

Notice too that there is a task dllhost.exe running.

(47MB total)

Hmmm, you are right, on one pc with 256MB RAM the usage is only 15MB. On another pc with 2GB RAM, the usage is about 48MB (that is about the same as version 3).

Wonder why? :party:

Yeah I noticed that also.

It strange, what you said about the computer with the 256MB, it like the program adjusts itself to your computer.

Really weird

dllhost.exe is in system32, part of Microsoft. Should be OK!

Anyway read somewhere that some AV will activate this.

funny, this version doesn't show the license validity date.

Used to it already, v3 was so unpredictable as far as that goes. Appeared whenever it wanted, not even with a reboot.

good, dllhost.exe is not enable after a few reboot!

guess it is only temporary.

(47MB total)

Wonder why? :hi:

Yeah I noticed that also.

It strange, what you said about the computer with the 256MB, it like the program adjusts itself to your computer.

Really weird

Hehe, it's not what you think guys :cheers: You only look at the use of the RAM memory, but you are probably also using a pagefile! How much memory of ESET is in the pagefile depends on the size of your RAM(so you were partially right, it adjusts). I'm guessing the total memory usage(of RAM and pagefile) should be around 50-100 MB.

Another quick fact, I guess we all know most installations leave a lot of registry errors after they are uninstalled/installed, uninstalling ESET v3 and installing ESET v4 caused exactly zero registry errors on my computer :rolleyes:

So it sounds like there is a decent population that is using V4. What do you think. How is it running? How is memory usage compared to the past? Anyone run into any viruses yet?

So it sounds like there is a decent population that is using V4. What do you think. How is it running? How is memory usage compared to the past? Anyone run into any viruses yet?

It's very fast, and as I just mentioned doesn't mess up a single registry key.

Haven't tried a scan yet. Uhmmm, what more to tell, memory usage compared to V3 is similar for ekrn.exe, but egui.exe(the graphical user interface) is much lower, from 6 MB to 2 MB.

I can see how much memory it uses in total because I don't use a pagefile :rolleyes:

For me egui.exe is using ~7 MB and ekrn.exe 46 MB. And in addition to that I have constantly running dllhost.exe which takes 5,6 MB. I have 3 GB of RAM, using XP SP3.

For me egui.exe is using ~7 MB and ekrn.exe 46 MB. And in addition to that I have constantly running dllhost.exe which takes 5,6 MB. I have 3 GB of RAM, using XP SP3.

yep got near the same values here! Also im still wondering what the hell is these "dllhost.exe" file and if can i stop it at all...

yep got near the same values here! Also im still wondering what the hell is these "dllhost.exe" file and if can i stop it at all...

Probably not...

egui.exe is from 1 MB to 5 MB here :rolleyes:

Problem with Microsoft update site when firewall is on. Internet explorer is working fine though....

Has anyone experienced that problem?

I get: Error number: 0x8024402C

Disabled the firewall and the site started working again!

Where is the problem? what is being blocked?

Hey all, was having small annoying problems with internet, like opening certain sites, utorrent, and a few other small things. Was getting annoyed and just as I was about to uninstall and go back to v3 I decided to run the repair. Well after the reboot all is well, the license date even appears now, June 6, 2009. I guess what I'm saying is don't be in a hurry to chuck v4, go with the repair first. Good luck to all.

Hi, I actually discover why that dllhost.exe its executed and its very easy prevent that happen again disabling checking windows updates in advance configuration of NOD32 and select "no update", pls sorry for my horrible english :dance2:

Problem with Microsoft update site when firewall is on. Internet explorer is working fine though....

Has anyone experienced that problem?

I get: Error number: 0x8024402C

Disabled the firewall and the site started working again!

Where is the problem? what is being blocked?

Add 'http://update.microsoft.com/*' to your exclusions and try again ;)

Hey all, was having small annoying problems with internet, like opening certain sites, utorrent, and a few other small things. Was getting annoyed and just as I was about to uninstall and go back to v3 I decided to run the repair. Well after the reboot all is well, the license date even appears now, June 6, 2009. I guess what I'm saying is don't be in a hurry to chuck v4, go with the repair first. Good luck to all.

Which 'Repair' are you talking about(where to find it?).

Hi, I actually discover why that dllhost.exe its executed and its very easy prevent that happen again disabling checking windows updates in advance configuration of NOD32 and select "no update", pls sorry for my horrible english :unsure:

Could you please provide all the clicks you made(if needed you could use a translator to translate some of it?).

When you go to uninstall eset it gives you 2 options. Repair and Uninstall. Click on repair and it will ask for a reboot when finished.

Archived