ESET or Kaspersky?

vince150

No two individual's readings need to necessarily match - I might be running a set of completely different security tools as compared to yours. I don't dispute Kaspersky must be running lower CPU cycles than NOD32 in your given variable of sytem tools - request you to respect that it may not in other people's system variables.

So in the end it's not necesarry true that in every system NOD is faster than Kaspersky, yes?

Yes, exactly - it's not necessarily true in every system for NOD32 V3 to be faster than Kaspersky. Many reports are being posted daily in the Wilders Security Forums citing NOD32 V3 as hogging CPU resources due to conflicts with certain other security tools in their system. Therefore, when you write that Kaspersky runs faster than NOD32 in your system, I respect your opinion without accusing you of misleading people.

I myself have had a very rewarding 2 year experience with Kaspersky - KIS (IMHO) is arguable the best Security Suite. Unfortunately, six months ago I had to uninstall Kaspersky after my @#$%&*@ Employer (grrrrr) without consensus, installed ZoneAlarm firewall in the laptops of all employees. Kaspersky (naturally) started hogging CPU resources due to incompatibilities with ZoneAlarm. This is the reason why NOD32 runs lighter on my system than Kaspersky - my system variable = (NOD32 V3 + ZoneAlarm.)

• Replies 61
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kaspersky - my system variable = (NOD32 V3 + ZoneAlarm.)
i remember the good ol times when i used kaspersky virus with winrar file solely to stick it to the (swedes i think with russians too owning it) win 95 time

Noddy, clarified. of course KIS would not run with ZoneAlarm ;) I'm amazed it only gave you long scan times, I was expecting crashes&BSOD's from such a configuration. NOD runs better because you use an antivirus, not an entire security suite - one solution could have been to uninstall KIS and install only the KAV module, it is possible from the setup. Wilders is maybe the best security forum around, indeed :xmas: On a bad configured and maintained system, both apps will run unpredictable. And I don't say one is better than the other, I just happen to like Kaspersky more, after using both (mostly because of the PDM). I like to know what happens in my system and if it's possible to have my HIPS and AV and FW in the same package, it's perfect...

Noddy, clarified. of course KIS would not run with ZoneAlarm laugh.gif I'm amazed it only gave you long scan times

When my @#$%&*@ Employer installed ZoneAlarm, it was a shame but KIS had to be unistalled - as 2 firewalls was out of question.

I was expecting crashes&BSOD's from such a configuration. one solution could have been to uninstall KIS and install only the KAV module

Subsequently, I did install KAV with ZoneAlarm and every nightmare that you mentioned came true - frequent BSODs, eternal startups & shut-downs, freezes, 3 OS reformats etc, etc. Two top notch security tools, brilliant when functioning alone but strange bedfellows when brought togethor in the same system . . . . . . mine.

I like to know what happens in my system and if it's possible to have my HIPS and AV and FW in the same package, it's perfect...

Yo Toyo, I seriously doubt it's possible to have any HIPS and AV and FW in the same package that comes close to KIS - request everybody to please observe half a minute of silence here as homage to my buried KIS laugh.gif

NOD runs better because you use an antivirus, not an entire security suite

True, I have turned to NOD32 EAV as there is little option left but to choose those security tools that are compliant with my @#$%&*@ Employer's ZoneAlarm. (Did I hear somebody say - "Quit your bloody job?" LOL)

Kaspersky eats more CPU and it's somehow slow!

I prefer NOD32 v2.70.39, it doesn't eat CPU and it's verrry fast on detecting and deleting! :P

* ESET every day updates *

right now i using eset nod 32 smart security .. however i need to try click update alot of time in order to update successfully .. Most of the time update fail ..

Anyone experience the same situation as me ??

bearoninternet

Virus Bulletin results;

VB100 Results Overview: Kaspersky

40 Success / 15 Failure / 0 No Entry

VB100 Results Overview: Eset

47 Success / 3 Failure / 5 No Entry

VB100 Results Overview: McAfee

34 Success / 19 Failure / 2 No Entry

VB100 Results Overview: Grisoft

19 Success / 22 Failure / 14 No Entry

Why oh why do i stick to eset? :P

bearoninternet
Which suite is better or are they virtually the same?

How about a poll :P

Well,for some people, like me, Firewalls,Anti-Virus, Anti-Spywares, etc.,etc., they are not needed.

You know why? - Every time I leave Net, I take exactly 2m 30s to return to previous PC situation using Backups done with Ghost 11.01. This way my PC is faster...Less programs = more speed .

3 DVD full of programs ,so when I need one,just have to install it ...

.................xxxxxxxx...............

But...between Manchester and Chelsea, I prefer Manchester , because of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Happy New Year.... :pope:

jofre

.................xxxxxxxx..............

I was an "Independent" virus/trojan/malware tester (new, unknown varients) for many years a few years back, and have worked with most well known AV products and vendors...so I DO knowa little about this :dance2:

Kaspersky is a good product, one of the Best actually, but ESET's engine and heuristics is far more efficient than Kas's. Kas has been working hard to rectify that but it has led to many False Positives and a few Failures in "In the Wild" testing. Also, a recent product update from Kas caused massive problems for their users, which they fixed quickly, but compared to ESET's track record Kaspersky can't match it.

NOD32 has held the record for most VB100% awards, and consecutive VB100's. NOD32 traditionally is ranked higher (or highest) from (and this is important..) Independent, Non-Sponsored Testing Labs. Many folks don't know that many testing labs are actually Sponsored by some of the big-boy AV vendors, like Symantec or McAfee, so who do you think they'll favor in the end....well, the people that are sending them huge cheques of course..;). Doesn't do much good to bite the hand that Feeds you does it.

Anyway, most old time knowledgable users will say "either NOD or Kaspersky, both will do" and I was one of those until some recent events and test results. While NOD has remained consistent, Kaspersky has had to deal with some issues with false positives and in the wild tests, so basically due to these factors I recommend NOD. I still would never tell anyone to remove Kaspersky still, it's a good product...McAfee is another story altogether...

I see "bearoninternet" takes stock in the VB100% tests...good, they are still the top independent testing lab in the world, and the award that Every Single Vendor strives for! There are other good labs around, but VB is the old Big-boy on that block.

Just to let ppl know someppl did something... just so that u know.. cant comment much on the authenticity though...

But I personally had an issue where NOD32 (Upto date) had missed a couple of trozans which Kaspersky(Just after an install without a single Update) found...

From Virus.gr

The test was made on 23 April-10 May 2007, using Windows XP Professional SP2 on a P4 3000 Mhz, 1024MB DDRAM.

All programs tested had the latest versions, upgrades and updates and they were tested using their full scanning capabilities e.g. heuristics, full scan etc.

The default settings of each program were not used, in order for each program to achieve its maximum detection rate. Because of this, there is a possibility for the tested programs to detect a few false positives.

All programs were updated on 22 April 2007, between 10.00AM and 13.00PM GMT.

The 174770 virus samples were chosen using VS2000 according to Kaspersky, F-Prot, Nod32, Dr.Web, BitDefender and McAfee antivirus programs. Each virus sample was unique by virus name, meaning that AT LEAST 1 antivirus program detected it as a new virus.

ALL virus samples were unpacked and the only samples that were kept were the ones that were packed using external-dos-packers (that means not winzip, winrar, winace etc).

The virus samples had the correct file extension using a special program (Renexts) and were unique, according to checksum32 filesize.

Most "fake" virus samples were removed, as well as "garbage" files.

Rank

1. Kaspersky version 7.0.0.43 Beta - 99.23%

2. Kaspersky version 6.0.2.614 - 99.13%

3. Active Virus Shield by AOL version 6.0.0.308 - 99.13%

4. ZoneAlarm with KAV Antivirus version 7.0.337.000 - 99.13%

5. F-Secure 2007 version 7.01.128 - 98.56%

6. BitDefender Professional version 10 - 97.70%

7. BullGuard version 7.0.0.23 - 96.59%

8. Ashampoo version 1.30 - 95.80%

9. AntiVir version 7.03.01.53 Classic - 95.08%

10. eScan version 8.0.671.1 - 94.43%

11. Nod32 version 2.70.32 - 94.00%

12. CyberScrub version 1.0 - 93.27%

13. Avast Professional version 4.7.986 - 92.82%

14. AVG Anti-Malware version 7.5.465 - 92.14%

15. F-Prot version 6.0.6.4 - 91.35%

Original Post

i've tried lots of AVs and their suites(norton,kaspersky,trendmicro pc-cillin,mcafee,avg,avast and antivir)..they all have some advantages and some disadvantages..i've tried nod 2.7 and 3(the antivirus not the suite) and i still prefer it..not only for its good detection but also for the ram it uses(38-40mb only!!)..its one of the lightest if not the lightest effective av..i havent tested their firewall..kaspersky has very good detection,a good firewall and very quick updates(not very good heuristics though) but i think its a bit ''heavy''..i use nod32 v3 with comodo firewall and everything works like a charm..also my pc's running much faster with nod than with the other AVs..the choice is yours man..

• 3 months later...

Well me on nod...just because it eats up less resources and scannings way faster....had tried kis some time back....seems good enough though my comp died carrying it... :) ..welll choice is yours though....i suppose security wise both are equally good...i know... :wacko: ...but well thats the kind of reply u can expect when a question is raised without the needs or the expectations being mentioned... in short... try both and get to know it yerself... :P

ESET NOD32 is my favourite, the old version. Not a fan of the new program & if that was my only choice from Eset I would switch to Kasperspy.

I don't know about anyone else but I found that the new NOD version causes Vista to hang every now & then, especially when you open files & downloads, and you can't control it as easily. Startup seems to be slower too. I can still Tune the older version to my liking and I can stop it with one click if I need to when I play a game ect.

I used both but I can't tell whether which is my favourite coz it hard to choose... I felt safer with KIS that's why i like it whereas I like ESET coz it's fast and lite.

?sharekey=ea4b7ed9275685ca7069484bded33bcd005fa247228f97fc

Hi All,

I am currently using Eset right now. I did use Kaspersky for a little while. And I like both. I have the cracks for both Kaspersky (KIS & KAV) 7.0.1.325 and Eset (EAV & ESS) 3.0.650. Using the cracks will extend the trial period until you decide which is the best for you. Avoid BitDefender 2008 at all cost.

The above is the key code to all my cracks. Just add it at the end of the slash in wwwDOTmediafireDOTcom/ and it should take you the the folder with all my cracks. Please pass it around.

• 2 weeks later...

ESET SMART SECURITY for me.

Because his good integration and low resources needed. The best is its simplicity and full control can provided also.

I like more the old interface for AV, current seems more commercial, but this security suite acomplish very well for a lot of PC kinds, including less powered! Because this I stick with it.

I'm not sure, but i've experienced using Kaspersky previously. In my opinion, i guess it's better than ESET. Only downside is, you may not be able to properly uninstall the antivirus.

No guesswork here (have exhaustively tested out) Kaspersky V7, NOD32 V2 and even V3.

ESET NOD32 2.70.39 with the nsane fix works best for me. I know these guys will want to murder me.

Archived