Best Antivirus

Alanon

Im working my way through them still before I decide which is best. That seems half the fun atm :dance2: Gave up on KIS, too many problems, used it for a couple of years.Tried Bitdefender Total and liked it, but I think theres better to come lol. Currently using Norton 360, and liking it a lot. Although I don't really need the 360 extras, NIS would be better. Got a few more lined up to try next.

It used to be set up and forget, but now I like messing about and testing them all too much :D not at the same time though :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fl0ppy hate to tell you this but AVG sux ass... really.. ( from behind so much and trying so hard )...

Symantec Norton 2011/2010

Avira

GDATA

ESET

FSecure

According to the latest results..

• Administrator

fl0ppy hate to tell you this but AVG sux ass... really.. ( from behind so much and trying so hard )...

Agreed. -_-

well i have evaluated many avs in the past..some of these are avast(4.7),avg(8 and 9),kav(2009),bitdefender(v8),nod32(had it from v2.7 to 4)and avira(9)..i'm gonna say my personal opinion but its based on the versions i evaluated...

avast:love it especially v5 which i have installed to other machines but not in mine seems very effective and light..it used to have many bugs at first but now its all good..

avg:used to be decent but i think its a crap..dont use ram for this thing

kav:very good but it used lot of system resources..

bitdefender:i'm not sure if it was v8 i used it 4years ago and at that time i loved it as it was pretty fast effective and as i remember light enough

nod32:loved it..it was light very effective and fast but i think that now it starts getting outdated and needs a big upgrade..

avira:i didnt like it and it had lots of ads during updates etc..i dont say that its not effective as av..but its a bit disturbing for me..

now i'm using norton antivirus 2011(didnt buy it but i won 3 1-year serial keys from a promotion) and despite the fact that i used to be a anti-norton person coz their avs were very heavy and not effective..i have to say that this av is REALLY good..very light..very fast on updates and scanning..and very effective..never had a problem and if they continue make the avs like this then i'm gonna use it till my serial keys expire..otherwise i'm gonna stick with my old favourite free avast which ive heard that v5 is very good..

well i have evaluated many avs in the past..some of these are avast(4.7),avg(8 and 9),kav(2009),bitdefender(v8),nod32(had it from v2.7 to 4)and avira(9)..i'm gonna say my personal opinion but its based on the versions i evaluated...

avast:love it especially v5 which i have installed to other machines but not in mine seems very effective and light..it used to have many bugs at first but now its all good..

avg:used to be decent but i think its a crap..dont use ram for this think

kav:very good but it used lot of system resources..

bitdefender:i'm not sure if it was v8 i used it 4years ago and at that time i loved it as it was pretty fast effective and as i remember light enough

nod32:loved it..it was light very effective and fast but u think that now it starts getting outdated and needs a big upgrade..

avira:i didnt like it and it had lots of ads during updates etc..i dont say that its not effective as av..but its a bit disturbing for me..

now i'm using norton antivirus 2011(didnt buy it but i won 3 1-year serial keys from a promotion) and despite the fact that i used to be a anti-norton person coz their avs were very heavy and not effective..i have to say that this av is REALLY good..very light..very fast on updates and scanning..and very effective..never had a problem and if they continue make the avs like this then i'm gonna use it till my serial keys expire..otherwise i'm gonna stick with my old favourite free avast which ive heard that v5 is very good..

Hello.

Thank you for this post and your objectivity. Very interesting. I have more or less the same conclusion. ^_^

Just the presentation that is unfortunate.

But still added +1.

Cheers.

++

The simple answer is:

-NOD32: outdated, don't let the hype fool you, it's a bare-bone product without any of the more advanced/modern features.

-KAV: excellent product but I think it suites more advanced users

People fail to realize that time has changed so much that AVs that rely on signatures alone are no loner adequate, the threats now are too advanced that we need other features to bolster our security (HIPS, Sand boxing, Code Emulation...etc)

your bold statement i agree!

NOD32 is outdated well depends on what you mean they just released v4.2 not long ago. advanced features will be out in v5.0 of course.

- i love it because it's lightest yet one of the best in terms of FP, detections and such.

- your saying that people only depends on 1 anti virus...for me i got another one for dual protection.

- modern features like sandbox and stuff. hell yeah they are good but you really need to spend some time learn how to use it and configure your anti virus for it.

not every standard "sandbox" or any newer features is "one size fits all" to all users.

Kaspersky, it's not advanced....really simple and good looking GUI at least for 2011's

Not sure about what is meant by ESET being outdated either.. I mean.. as far as I am concerned .. its the ONLY one with advanced options... I hope you don't mean 'dumbed-up' like 90% of the rest of the AV/Suites out there.. which don't give you the malleability that ESET does...

What about Panda Security>>>>>>>>.

It uses Cloud Technology to detect virus

And the best is its the only FREE anti virus with cloud technology.

never used this av before so i cant say if i like it or not..it seems to be effective on av-comparatives tests.. ( http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_od_aug2010.pdf )

but i didnt find the free av in their webpage..

never used this av before so i cant say if i like it or not..it seems to be effective on av-comparatives tests.. ( http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_od_aug2010.pdf )

Their is a FREE Panda Anti virus available Try this link>>>>>>>>. www.cloudantivirus.com

unknownasphyxiated

PandaSecurity

how you didn't found it?

haha i dont know..just didnt see it i suppose..thanks anyway for the links ;)

i'm not sure but i think that norton antivirus 2010 and 2011 has something like cloud..every time i download a file or i scan a file it says if its safe or not and if you click on details it says what the other users who had this file think about this..so i suppose like cloud it monitors every user's pc and it recognise whats safe and whats not..the only pros with panda is that u can get it for free..is it with real time or its only on deman?

Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices on demand, like the electricity grid.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

True cloud-based apps go well beyond, a community pool of input.. but its similar.. why so many of them.. Like Hitman Pro, are so quick and processing power is kept at a minimum.. Great idea but without the Internet its useless.. no connection means the absence of program components and resources... True real time Suites and protection which is cloud-based would be quite a feat.. as well as allowing the end user to create and change its desired function.. in a way without a larger network of system and possibly even a larger server for the virtualization... I would see it to be a complete fail.. but that is without in-depth knowledge of the program themselves and other means to providing it.. or rather breakthroughs in how its is done.. or what could be done in such an instance..

I could however see how various components could be greatly optimized by using an element of the tech..

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

Eset Nod32/Smart Security.

Malwarebytes.

&

Cross partition scanning (Nod&Kaspersky) :dance2:

unknownasphyxiated

i'm not sure but i think that norton antivirus 2010 and 2011 has something like cloud..every time i download a file or i scan a file it says if its safe or not and if you click on details it says what the other users who had this file think about this..so i suppose like cloud it monitors every user's pc and it recognise whats safe and whats not..the only pros with panda is that u can get it for free..is it with real time or its only on deman?

taken from Norton Community

The approach we are taking with Download Insight is to build a cloud-based reputation system. This system has knowledge of millions of applications and individual files across the globe and determines the reputation of each one using statistical methods. This approach is the perfect complement to signatures—it is tailor-made for making decisions about unknown executables whereas signatures excel at telling you about something that is already known (like an existing virus or Trojan). We call our reputation-based intelligence "Quorum".

At a high-level, Insight will contact the Quorum server and ask for the reputation of the package. Based on the reputation, the package will be allowed to sit on the disk and execute, or will be deleted and removed from the computer.

taken from Norton Community

The approach we are taking with Download Insight is to build a cloud-based reputation system. This system has knowledge of millions of applications and individual files across the globe and determines the reputation of each one using statistical methods. This approach is the perfect complement to signatures—it is tailor-made for making decisions about unknown executables whereas signatures excel at telling you about something that is already known (like an existing virus or Trojan). We call our reputation-based intelligence "Quorum".

At a high-level, Insight will contact the Quorum server and ask for the reputation of the package. Based on the reputation, the package will be allowed to sit on the disk and execute, or will be deleted and removed from the computer.

thanks for the infor +1

Archived