Best Antivirus

Alanon

I would like to hear your oppinions on the best Antivirus program. I personally am a devoted NOD32 user, and have also tried KAV, KIS, AVG (a long time ago). Lately, I've been seeing a lot of favourable reviews of Avira, Avast!, BitDefender, Norton, McAfee... none of which I've had the chance to try, so I would like to know your opinions on the best software.

• Replies 70
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

Honestly, I say it's all about preference, because they all do a pretty good job.

If you know what you're doing, you probably don't even need an Anti-virus, as i think some members here don't use them at all.

If you know where you are surfing, you should have no problems.

Other than that, it's mainly preference, as I personally use Avira, used to use NOD32.

Avira gets the job done for me, I get false-positives, but Avira is known for that, but a simple "exceptions" rule and all good.

Given you're a NOD32 user, if you like it and are accustomed to how ti works, just stick with it.

Different communities will give you different outputs, just pick one that you're used to and if it has been working for you, that's all that matters ^^

• Administrator

Remember, there's nothing like best. It's just an personal opinion.

I'm a ESET user as it suits me the most. But hey you can also try Norton. I heard it's good. :)

what most or anyone would say ....

" what suits you ! "

try out , experiment , keep your options open and then see what fulfills your demands and u are comfortable with .

m using nod32 on my laptop ,,,why,,, coz it suits me here ...

m using avast on my old desktop ,,, again becoz it suits me in that environment ...

so ,,see for yourself ...

for the record , as the trend goes .. nod32 or kaspersky or norton or avira .

play with them and see with which you have the most fun ...

;)

av-comparson.org is basically saying Eset is still the best even though they got bronze this year. Eset can't win every year.

If you know what you're doing, you probably don't even need an Anti-virus, as i think some members here don't use them at all.

:yes: Yup, rightly said. I, for one don't use a antivirus. However, on getting bored I keep trying different ones just from the learning point of view.

@ Alanon :welcome:

IMO, it's a matter of personal choice, level of computing proficiency and also one's system configurations that matter in the final decision.

It'd be wise to try out at least a couple of the top-rated antivirus systems for yourself. ;)

RadioActive

The simple answer is:

There's NO such thing!

What you should do is sate exactly what are the criteria you have in mind, for example:

1) Are you talking about FREE or Paid products?

2) Are you talking about AVs only or Security Suites?

3) What EXACTLY are your needs in regards of security?

4) What's your level or computer knowledge (some AVs are easier/harder to use than others depending on your experience)?

Regradless, I'll tell you my opinion from personal experience

-NOD32: outdated, don't let the hype fool you, it's a bare-bone product without any of the more advanced/modern features.

-KAV: excellent product but I think it suites more advanced users.

-AVG: half-decent product but that are far better alternatives.

-Avira: also outdated, same problem as NOD32 but with ALOT of false positives, and the free versions sucks (SLOW updates and minimum functionality)

-BitDefender: a decent product with a nice set features, it's certainly better than what many people think, but it can be a bit a strain on older machines.

-Norton: very good product, perfect for beginners (sucks for advanced users since it's too automated) with many false positives but also with great features.

-McAfee: don't even bother.

-Avast!: my personal favorite, it keeps getting better and with the release of v5.0 it now has a lot of cool features that help improve its overall quality, and not to mention their FREE version is pretty much unbeatable when compared to other free products.

People fail to realize that time has changed so much that AVs that rely on signatures alone are no loner adequate, the threats now are too advanced that we need other features to bolster our security (HIPS, Sand boxing, Code Emulation...etc)

Anyways, not sure if that's what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps.

• Administrator

You guys are going too aggressive here. :tooth:

They all are quite good if you ask me. But everyone has it's own likes dislikes. :)

In light of recent developments on my PC I might just agree with Lohengrin. Just last night I got an intrusion an NOD missed it. I might just go back to KAV. What's the latest version, anyway? Any oppinions on KAV?

• Administrator

None can catch em' all. ;)

You can find KAV on the frontpage(nsanedown.com). :)

Hmmm don't know I've always heard that Avast was really late in virus detection,maybe it is getting better now...

Anyway Nod 32 is still my favorite for my laptop.

Kaspersky on desktop! :)

there is not really "best" antivirus,as the Nsane fellows said,just use the one you need!

@Alanon:

To emphasize everyone's knowledge and experience:

It is not always the strong who wins, but the ones who can adapt. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ive recently come to like Prevx. The only thing im missing is kind of a local detection. Otherwise i really like it.

Im assuming you all now what Prevx is ^_^

I've recently helped out a mate with his PC, and the only thing that succeded in getting out the bunch of viruses he had in there was Hitman Pro. I think that as far as cloud scanners go, you can't go wrong with Hitman, becouse he already uses Prevx, A-squared, NOD32 and G-Data engines. On the other hand, it lacks real-time protection, so if it's a big issue, it can be a deal-breaker. I've been looking into something called BluePoint Security. I don't know a whole lot about it, except that some ''Malware Research Group'' gave it a very high rating. I've also seen a lot of people here complaining about it. Any thoughts?

I have tried Norton Internet Security 2010, ESET, Bitdefender Total Security 2010. Each has its strong points. Howver, Bitdender shows you hwat it is doing. Norton Internet Sceurity is good but a bit opaque. ESET I don't like.

I have tried Norton Internet Security 2010, ESET, Bitdefender Total Security 2010. Each has its strong points. Howver, Bitdender shows you hwat it is doing. Norton Internet Sceurity is good but a bit opaque. ESET I don't like.

NIS is not opaque, It gives very detailed logs and information if you know where to look for it.

Avast 5 is great, my girlfriend uses it and has 0 problems.

I use NOD32 4.2, it's great although it must be part of a layered security approach, by itself it's too basic.

NIS 2010 is good too but I disliked SONAR2's paranoia, it's even worse when it quarantines some application that you just compiled.

Not recommended for developers. :frusty:

I've recently helped out a mate with his PC, and the only thing that succeded in getting out the bunch of viruses he had in there was Hitman Pro. I think that as far as cloud scanners go, you can't go wrong with Hitman, becouse he already uses Prevx, A-squared, NOD32 and G-Data engines. On the other hand, it lacks real-time protection, so if it's a big issue, it can be a deal-breaker. I've been looking into something called BluePoint Security. I don't know a whole lot about it, except that some ''Malware Research Group'' gave it a very high rating. I've also seen a lot of people here complaining about it. Any thoughts?

Sorry missed and bit late, but install and Run

Unhackme V5.8 Final

Archived