Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4493509 Causing System Slowdowns, Other Issues

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4493509 Causing System Slowdowns, Other Issues 

Users are now reporting issues with Windows 10 cumulative update KB4493509, which was published on April 9 as the Patch Tuesday release for version 1809 (October 2018 Update).

Users are now reporting issues with Windows 10 cumulative update KB4493509, which was published on April 9 as the Patch Tuesday release for version 1809 (October 2018 Update).

While Microsoft has only acknowledged two different issues in this cumulative update, I’m seeing various reports of substantial PC slowdowns, freezes, and system hangs after installing KB4493509.

Several Windows 10 users complain that this cumulative update made their computers unresponsive especially on the first boot after the install. Others say they experience occasional freezes, with certain features like the right-click context menu on the desktop apparently broken down.

A post on Microsoft Community forums, as well as several messages on TenForums indicate that KB4493509 sometimes causes occasional freezes despite a seemingly successful installation.

“After a few hours of use after the update, the entire machine locked up, mouse & all. Could not enter Task Manager, held power button until it shut off. Event Viewer indicates many DCOM errors,” one use explains, with another one adding the following:

“Exactly what happened to me too. I pushed reset button and after boot the computer freezes on the windows login screen. I was able to boot up in safe mode, uninstalled this update, booted normally and everything is working again.”Removing the update fixes everythingI’m also seeing some isolated reports of issues caused with various antivirus software, but in this case, the problems don’t seem to be as widespread as the ones mentioned above.

Earlier today, Microsoft acknowledged similar system freezes caused by Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 monthly rollups, but no word has been said on a bug hitting Windows 10 cumulative updates.

The only workaround available at this point is to completely remove the update from Safe Mode and then hide it to avoid it from being reoffered to the system. Microsoft hasn’t acknowledged the bugs just yet, so it’s not yet exactly clear what is causing these issues and whether a fix would be shipped.

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are probably well-paid order items that usually always appear after another update, and the authors and sources are usually the same. PS. There have also been situations where an article will appear before an update is released !!!
I honestly admit that I have no such problems, and so far I have never been able to find any of the problems that these subscribed articles write.
I advise you to be very careful about such misinformation.

Unfortunately this happened to my pc. 😫

I was watching "series" on the pc and suddenly the player froze in a frame and only the sound continues to play. I called the task manager to force the player to close and to my surprise the pc froze!
I had to press the reset button!

The AchieVer

These are not misinformations , However there are issues which effect only handful of users and not all of them.(As each system is different).

The writers/authors just bring it to the notice of others.

Misinformation? Hardly. Here's a copy/paste of my posts from from another topic, as I think more people will see my response here:

"My symptoms from this update were more akin to "Widespread reports of freezing with yesterday’s Win7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollups, KB 4493472 and KB 4493446". Windows took 10 minutes to load to desktop + all startup apps vs pre-install of roughly 15 seconds. Trying to open any app would crash the entire system so bad that ctrl+alt_del wouldn't even open the task manager. After several hard reboots by having to completely cut the power to the pc, I booted into safe mode, uninstalled the update, reboot, and have had no issues since."

and

"I narrowed it down to Avira Antivirus. Just as Sophos Antivirus has been found to be a source of the problems for the Win7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollups, Avira causes the issues for me on Win10. Guess I'll just keep the update uninstalled until Avira updates. Or uninstall Avira and keep KB4493509."

Hasn't this happened many, many times before? Windows Updates and AV's not working together? Why is it always the AV's that need to release updates? If a person's AV was causing no issues before a Windows Update, isn't it Microsoft's fault and they should be the ones to fix things? Maybe the AV  companies just figure it's easier to release a fix themselves than to wait for MS.

One thing I know for sure, is that I'm doing a clean install when 1903 is released.

Avira has responded to my inquire on this matter. Here is their reply:

Hello, Our dev. dept. is in contact with Microsoft to find a solution for this issue. Please see this article which we've published some hours ago: https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1976

Outside of Sophos and Avira, I've also seen Avast mentioned.  I'm certain that there are many different AV's causing this so if you're running into issues I suggest either uninstalling the KB or your AV until a new version of it is released.

1 hour ago, spudboy said:

One thing I know for sure, is that I'm doing a clean install when 1903 is released.

ALWAYS. Caps on purpose.

1 hour ago, SPECTRUM said:

no issues here, probably the issues are caused by third party AV ?

Correct. But technically it's caused by the WU and not by the 3rd party AV's... as the AV's worked perfectly fine prior to Microsofts update. ;)

i have had a few issues with win 10 updates, but only when i was on fast ring. ONCE WHEN FIRST GOT MY COMPUTER TOO. took a few updates on first boot, and had to wait 4 weeks for the FIX  to arrive via win update

I installed update-kb4493509 yesterday and initially hadn't noted any issue but today I noted a strange "slowdown" on my  Windows 10 laptop. After I turned it off and later restarted, now it looks ok. Now, while reading this post, I'm associating the issue with kb4493509. I have Avast installed so the next time I start up, I'll exit Avast and check if there's any change.

7 hours ago, spudboy said:

But technically it's caused by the WU and not by the 3rd party AV's... as the AV's worked perfectly fine prior to Microsofts update.

Traditionally, software developers have had to ensure their products are compatible with the OS.

Microsoft (and some other OS developers) has enough problems trying to keep their OS compatible with gazillions of hardware combinations, it would be virtually impossible for MS to also make Windows compatible with every version of every piece of software out there...

We don't know if some AV developers are remiss in checking compatibility with new MS build releases. Some incompatibility may actually be the fault of the AV developers, the same ones seem to crop up regularly.

Every since i installed 1809, I'm having trouble over trouble. I had wifi random disconnections and network problems which i resolved after countless trial and error methods over the internet and this update, it ruined that back and now i no longer have reliable wifi connection on my PC.
I'm looking onto going back to 1803 and directly going to 1903 when it drops, rather than being stuck with this nightmare.

2 hours ago, Karlston said:

Traditionally, software developers have had to ensure their products are compatible with the OS.

Microsoft (and some other OS developers) has enough problems trying to keep their OS compatible with gazillions of hardware combinations, it would be virtually impossible for MS to also make Windows compatible with every version of every piece of software out there...

We don't know if some AV developers are remiss in checking compatibility with new MS build releases. Some incompatibility may actually be the fault of the AV developers, the same ones seem to crop up regularly.

The amount of AV solutions people use is extremely pale in comparison to possible hardware configurations. Microsoft wrote the code that broke certain AV solutuons., not the other way around. They should be doing common sense testing (which we ALL know they are HORRIBLE at) with even just a handful (let's say a measly ten) of the most popular AV products before releasing continually botched updates. How would the AV providers even know what to fix unless MS tells them in advance? When two things work correctly together, but one changes and causes things to break, how is it the other ones fault or responsibility? MS should be saying "Hey, we tested these updates with some of the most popular AV's and OUR update is causing sever issues with several of them. We should probably fix that code BEFORE release, or let the AV guys know right away so they can work on a solution and have it out before we push the updates."

This is purely on MS. 100%. They made the changes that broke things, not the AV providers. And they'd have zero way of knowing until MS tells them, or until AFTER the fact that shit's broken and reported by end users. Now people have to wait instead of MS taking responsibility for their very typical fuck up due to poor testing and a lengthy history of botched updates across the board. Not just in causing problems for AV's.

Avira has released an update and everything is now working fine with KB4493509. Can't speak for any other AV providers. I had to do a manual update to get it, but the installer on their site has also been updated. Latest is 15.0.45.1154.

11 hours ago, spudboy said:

This is purely on MS. 100%

Woody agrees with you...

The AchieVer

Microsoft Says Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4493509 Freezes Devices on Boot

While this month’s Patch Tuesday rollout originally seemed a very smooth one, it looks like a growing number of devices are experiencing issues after installing the latest Windows updates.

While this month’s Patch Tuesday rollout originally seemed a very smooth one, it looks like a growing number of devices are experiencing issues after installing the latest Windows updates.

Microsoft has recently acknowledged a bug in the cumulative update KB4493509 shipped to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 Update) PCs that could cause them to freeze on boot.

The company says the glitch only impacts machines running ArcaBit antivirus software and explains that it’s already working on a fix.

Earlier this week, it was discovered that the April 2019 monthly rollups for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, along with their associated security-only updates, caused issues on machines with certain antivirus software, forcing these devices to freeze on boot.

While Microsoft acknowledged the bug and said it mostly happens on systems with Sophos antivirus software, user reports indicated that other security products were impacted too, including Avast and Avira.Windows 10 devices also freezing on bootWindows 10 was initially believed to be on the safe side, as the aforementioned problems were only experienced on the previous OS versions.

The software company, however, has just confirmed similar issues hitting its latest Windows release too, however claiming that only ArcaBit products are impacted.

“Microsoft and ArcaBit have identified an issue on devices with ArcaBit antivirus software installed that may cause the system to become unresponsive upon restart after installing this update,” Microsoft says.

The firm adds that a fix is already being developed, but no ETA is available right now as to when it could be pushed to production devices.

There’s no confirmation of similar problems experienced with other antivirus software, like the ones mentioned for Windows 7 and 8.1, but it remains to be seen if systems running products from different security vendors freeze on boot as well. We’ll continue to monitor user reports, so circle back for more updates on this.

The AchieVer
9 minutes ago, baogia2010 said:

May be I'm not sure, but we should install Servicing Stack Update (SSU) before installing Latest Cumulative Update (LCU) :  "KB4493510" and then "KB4493509"

Most of the times SSU is installed automatically through windows updates.

Below I am quoting from the MS article:

How to get this update

Method 1: Windows Update

This update will be downloaded and installed automatically.

Note: This update is also available through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog

To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

Regards

11 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

Most of the times SSU is installed automatically through windows updates.

Below I am quoting from the MS article:

How to get this update

Method 1: Windows Update

This update will be downloaded and installed automatically.

Note: This update is also available through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog

To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

Regards

Someone likes to install Quality Updates themselves,

Me too :D

The AchieVer
2 minutes ago, baogia2010 said:

Someone likes to install Quality Updates themselves,

Me too :D

Its a very good habit of installing the updates, it protects the system from various vulnerabilities.

However, Having said that, nowadays it’s just the opposite with MS updates, it’s wise to wait a while before installing them .You never know what surprise that update might throw.

Regards

The issues are back for me even after the Avira update. Lasted through many reboots and no freezing, then last night... WHAMO!!! Same problems & has happened several times today already. Slow booting and random hard lockups.

I suggest Avira users report this to them asap. The only way to contact them (unless you use a paid version) is via their Twitter page. I direct message them and usually receive replies in a timly manner. Although since it's a Sunday it may not be until tomorrow. I explained the situation (although they are already aware of it) and also provided my Event Log. Hopefully this all gets sorted much soon. Next time I'm not reporting that any update has fixed this until 72 hrs has passed after updating. Cheers!!

Avira Support Twitter is @askavira

Log Name: System
Source: avgntflt
Date: 4/14/2019 1:24:53 PM
Event ID: 18
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP
Description:
TIMEOUT<csrss.exe> C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\ccfwmgtrc.dll
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="avgntflt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32775">18</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-04-14T18:24:53.375815900Z" />
<EventRecordID>42133</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>TIMEOUT&lt;csrss.exe&gt; C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\ccfwmgtrc.dll</Data>
<Binary>00000000020030000000000012000780000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Archived