Windows detected a hard disk problem ! [Not getting solved]

IamBidyuT

xd.png.711d242ce3fa4abc47991195bf584099.

The above issue is continuously appearing on my friends desktop from last month, sometimes desktop getting automatically shutdown .

Hence, last night re-partitioned HDD & installed Win10 . The error did not stop . . . 

Later applied following commands :

• ChkDsk /F /R
  • sfc /scannow

They detected no error . . . So, anyone have solution for this except suggesting for new HDD (since certainly that'd be the last choice if no solution arises) . . 

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson

Hi @IamBidyuT sorry you have problem. Please try HDD Regenerator. You can search about it here on this forums. Read about it and If cant find a good download link I can post it for you. 

It is obvious that Windows has detected some type error in its disk monitoring software and since no error was detected with the scans then it is possible that the problems lies with the cable or the connection on the motherboard.  I would try a new cable and if the error still appears I would try a different connection on the motherboard.  

2 minutes ago, Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson said:

Hi @IamBidyuT sorry you have problem. Please try HDD Regenerator. You can search about it here on this forums. Read about it and If cant find a good download link I can post it for you. 

yeah I searched last night here & got to know about HDD Regenerator . . . Downloaded & installed , while starting the process it warned about "C" drive being used , hence had to make portable flash drive through it . . Choose 3rd option : Normal scan with repair - - Scan & repair - - - Scan complete - - system reboot - - same error appeared (may be i had to do something extra) .

You can try SpinRite. When it comes to maintaining a hard drive, running a disk check will usually find any software related issues. But when I need to check the hardware inside of a hard drive, I will use SpinRite from Gibson Research Corporation. SpinRite is a magnetic storage data recovery, repair and maintenance program and works only on HDD's (Hard Disk Drive) and not SSD's (Solid State Drive). SpinRite includes a feature called DynaStat that can reassemble missing data from bad sectors. SpinRite is a self-contained program that runs on top of a version of FreeDOS (Free Disk Operating System). SpinRite has five (5) levels of operation, each building on the previous level. Examine the hard drive surface. This level will read every sector of the selected partition(s) psychical surface looking for areas that appear to be healthily but could possibly fail in the future. Recover unreadable data on drive. This level will read every sector of the selected partition(s) psychical surface looking for unreadable data. Spinrite will then attempt to recover unreadable partition data using the built-in advanced recovery technology. Refresh the hard drive surface. This level will read and write every sector of the selected partition(s) psychical surface, essentially exercising the hard drive. It basically test and verifies every sector on the partition(s). Locates surface defects. This level will read, write and invert every sector twice of the selected partition(s) psychical surface. This tests and verifies that every 'bit' on the selected partition can be successfully written to and retrieved. Restore known good sectors. This level does everything that all of the other levels do and restores any areas that may have been previously mark as defective, but now are found to be reliable. To run SpinRite you will need to create a bootable media, either a CD or USB drive. Normally, if your computer is running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, all you have to do is insert the bootable media and restart your computer. If your computer doesn't boot up to the SpinRite media, you may have to change the boot order in the system BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). If your computer has Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, more than likely your computer has UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) enabled BIOS. To run Spinrite on one of these systems, you defiantly have to go into the BIOS and turn off the UEFI boot functions temporality. Now, if in either scenario SpinRite doesn't recognized your hard drive, you may have to also change the drive mode in the BIOS from AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) to ATA (AT Attachment) temporarily.

5 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

It is obvious that Windows has detected some type error in its disk monitoring software and since no error was detected with the scans then it is possible that the problems lies with the cable or the connection on the motherboard.  I would try a new cable and if the error still appears I would try a different connection on the motherboard.  

I'll apply this ^_^ . . 

Probably there is no error possible to find, but only the Windows is damaged.
And one more thing - it is interesting, that you are looking for a hard disk error, when you see the error message that the driver probably doesn't work correctly.

6 minutes ago, IamBidyuT said:

I'll apply this ^_^ . . 

There another software test you could run on the drive with Eassos Partition Guru (trial version will work) and that is to run the 'Verify or Repair Bad Sectors'.  If none of this works then you can just turn off the hard disk warning.

To do so:

Step 1
Get Run window from Start menu and type in gpedit.msc
run gpedit

Step 2
Click "Ok" or hit Enter key and you'll get a new window where you can find Disk Diagnostics: Administrative Templates > System > Troubleshooting and Diagnostics > Disk Diagnostics

Step 3
Click "Disc Diagnostic: Configure execution level" on the right part and a configuration menu will pop up. Modify the execution level to Disable and click "Apply" and "OK". Then restart computer the error message won't popup.

1 minute ago, straycat19 said:

There another software test you could run on the drive with Eassos Partition Guru (trial version will work) and that is to run the 'Verify or Repair Bad Sectors'.  If none of this works then you can just turn off the hard disk warning.

To do so:

Step 1
Get Run window from Start menu and type in gpedit.msc
run gpedit

Step 2
Click "Ok" or hit Enter key and you'll get a new window where you can find Disk Diagnostics: Administrative Templates > System > Troubleshooting and Diagnostics > Disk Diagnostics

Step 3
Click "Disc Diagnostic: Configure execution level" on the right part and a configuration menu will pop up. Modify the execution level to Disable and click "Apply" and "OK". Then restart computer the error message won't popup.

I know the popup disable GPEDIT method , but i'm afraid since it just hides the error , not erasing the error . . . . I'll check Partition Guru :)

2 minutes ago, IamBidyuT said:

I know the popup disable GPEDIT method , but i'm afraid since it just hides the error , not erasing the error . . . . I'll check Partition Guru :)

What is the make and model of the desktop and the drive.  If it is home built the make and model of the motherboard and the drive.

25 minutes ago, fredlaso said:

You can try SpinRite. When it comes to maintaining a hard drive, running a disk check will usually find any software related issues. But when I need to check the hardware inside of a hard drive, I will use SpinRite from Gibson Research Corporation. SpinRite is a magnetic storage data recovery, repair and maintenance program and works only on HDD's (Hard Disk Drive) and not SSD's (Solid State Drive). SpinRite includes a feature called DynaStat that can reassemble missing data from bad sectors. SpinRite is a self-contained program that runs on top of a version of FreeDOS (Free Disk Operating System). SpinRite has five (5) levels of operation, each building on the previous level. Examine the hard drive surface. This level will read every sector of the selected partition(s) psychical surface looking for areas that appear to be healthily but could possibly fail in the future. Recover unreadable data on drive. This level will read every sector of the selected partition(s) psychical surface looking for unreadable data. Spinrite will then attempt to recover unreadable partition data using the built-in advanced recovery technology. Refresh the hard drive surface. This level will read and write every sector of the selected partition(s) psychical surface, essentially exercising the hard drive. It basically test and verifies every sector on the partition(s). Locates surface defects. This level will read, write and invert every sector twice of the selected partition(s) psychical surface. This tests and verifies that every 'bit' on the selected partition can be successfully written to and retrieved. Restore known good sectors. This level does everything that all of the other levels do and restores any areas that may have been previously mark as defective, but now are found to be reliable. To run SpinRite you will need to create a bootable media, either a CD or USB drive. Normally, if your computer is running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, all you have to do is insert the bootable media and restart your computer. If your computer doesn't boot up to the SpinRite media, you may have to change the boot order in the system BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). If your computer has Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, more than likely your computer has UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) enabled BIOS. To run Spinrite on one of these systems, you defiantly have to go into the BIOS and turn off the UEFI boot functions temporality. Now, if in either scenario SpinRite doesn't recognized your hard drive, you may have to also change the drive mode in the BIOS from AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) to ATA (AT Attachment) temporarily.

Heard a lot about SpinRite . Since HDD Regenerator didn't give fruitful result i'll check it next . 

18 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

Probably S.M.A.R.T. error...

Download WesternWestern Digital Data Lifeguard Tools, install and run it... Problem found?!... Verify its warranty and contact Western Digital.

Will notify if it's S.M.A.R.T error :)

18 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Probably there is no error possible to find, but only the Windows is damaged.
And one more thing - it is interesting, that you are looking for a hard disk error, when you see the error message that the driver probably doesn't work correctly.

Windows is freshly installed .

4 minutes ago, IamBidyuT said:

Will notify if it's S.M.A.R.T error

Check your bios setup, most bios have a SMART check built into them that will identify a problem before you boot the system.  Just a little better than a software check.

2 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

Check your bios setup, most bios have a SMART check built into them that will identify a problem before you boot the system.  Just a little better than a software check.

Okay , I'll check :)

12 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

You were almost right here... Even activating this feature in BIOS will need to use a software to " decode " the information gathered.

1 minute ago, WALLONN7 said:

You were almost right here... Even activating this feature in BIOS will need to use a software to " decode " the information gathered.

Sorry, you are wrong, some bios even have a built in drive check diagnostic utility.  No operating system or software is loaded because the best way to check a drive is when nothing is running from it.  If your bios does not have the built in diagnostic then the best way to check the drive is to use a bootable disk/flash drive to run the chkdsk utility or any other disk checking utility from.

Perhaps you look over the two things in the Device Manager, the Disk Drivers and Other Devices - is there some yellow exclamation mark somewhere?

3 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

Sorry, you are wrong, some bios even have a built in drive check diagnostic utility.  No operating system or software is loaded because the best way to check a drive is when nothing is running from it.  If your bios does not have the built in diagnostic then the best way to check the drive is to use a bootable disk/flash drive to run the chkdsk utility or any other disk checking utility from.

Your point of view... My point of view...

That's all...

I'll check all the suggested ways & will reply back with the results :) Since currently I'm not around my friend's desktop, unable to check for now . . . 

maybe you should consider to backup your data (worst case)

I already lost my data and replace my hdd because I don't care about this message (this message already show more than 2 month)

my hdd is getting weird, transfer speed suddenly drop to 3MB/s (even booting linux via usb stick)

I hope your friend doesn't get the problem like me

Why not assume Windows's right?  Get this thing backed-up immediately.  Ideally, make an disk image with Acronis (or similar) (2 images would be better), pull the partitions, then restore the image.  Personally, given what drives cost these days, I'd  make that disk image and restore it to a new drive if you can afford it.  The $50 is going to seem cheap if the drive fails and/or you lose important data

What about a Trojan or Virus - check MBAM 

If not that ^ and you have checked the other points in this thread, Swap/Replace HDD and re-Image 

(I found similar problem, was the SATA Data cable but replaced both SATA and power cable - that fixed it .)

Archived