Windows Update Hanging When Downloading April 12 Patches

Batu69

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, will try this ,after making backup, for getting this update KB 3147458.

It does download the update and seems to install, but after the required reboot ; this update could not install............

With error; 0x8007371C  winupdate client id=20

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3147458 Issues

The update is causing some problems on a number of PCs

Apr 13, 2016 04:43 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa   ·  
Share:      

Microsoft rolled out two new cumulative updates a few hours ago for Windows 10 build 10240 (RTM) and 1511 (November Update), and just as it happened before, it turns out that some computers are experiencing issues either when trying to install them or after that.

Posts on the company’s Community forums reveal that, at least for the moment, the reported bugs are not so widespread as before, but keep in mind that the updates were released only a few hours ago.

KB3147458 is the cumulative update aimed at 1511 machines, and some of the users who installed it reveal that their store apps no longer work after that.

“The latest update has totally messed up many programs. I cannot access Microsoft store, Microsoft solitaire collection and several other programs. I get a message that they require new app to download and use. Can't get the apps as I cannot get into the store,” one user explains. Others have already confirmed that store apps no longer work on their computers either.

KB3147458 also fails to install

There are also reports that KB3147458 fails to install with the typical “Cannot complete install. Undoing changes” error message displayed every time. PCs that are seeing this error are in most cases returned to the desktop but are then reoffered the update only to experience the same issue once again. The solution in this case is to hide the update until a fix is offered.

And last but not least, some Windows 10 users claim that their icons have disappeared from their desktops, although it’s not yet clear if this issue has anything to do with KB3147458 or not.

The good news, however, is that Microsoft is already working with users to address all these problems, as John Wink, a company engineer working on the updates team, is trying to collect more information on the experienced errors to eventually provide a resolution.

If you’re also experiencing any issues with these updates, make sure that you make your voice heard by posting a comment with all the details in order to help Microsoft develop a fix or offer a workaround.

Source : http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3147458-issues-502884.shtml

Wait for a fix from microsoft ;)

Yes , better wait for fix , or else things might getting worse.................

16 hours ago, haxzion said:

The only working solution so far is to download and install manually KB3145739

32 bit version  or  64 bit version restart and run Windows Update again

Thank you for that! I tried many ways earlier without success, indeed the above solution was working! Finally the endless search for updates has gone. Many thanks!

(the problem solved on windows 7 64bit system)

Very nice , but did not solve the problem in Win10.........!:(

On Wednesday it took 6 hrs for the updates to come down and install on Lappy Win7 x64  

19 minutes ago, J.D said:

On Wednesday it took 6 hrs for the updates to come down and install on Lappy Win7 x64  

same shit here on a client's laptop Windows 7 x86

Yes , tried really everything, except new install, nothing solved the problem ; Always" could not install" after reboot !!

Im giving up ,and will hide this update untill a real working fix will arrive............

Woody (and friends) seem to have found a solution for Windows 7...

An unlikely combination of two Windows updates can reduce scan times from hours to minutes

If you're experiencing Windows 7 update scans measured in hours -- if not days -- as I described last week, a newly discovered trick may reduce scan times to minutes. It's an unlikely combination of two updates that has worked wonders on my Win7 PCs. Try it and see how it works on yours.

It was poster EP on AskWoody.com who nailed the magic incantation:

Install a COMBINATION of the following updates on Win7 SP1 -- KB3138612 AND KB3145739. I found out that patching KB3145739 alone without patching the WU Client for Win7 SP1 is not enough.

KB 3138612, you may recall, is the March "Windows Update Client for Windows 7" --  exactly the kind of patch you'd expect to solve the Win7 update slowdown.

KB 3145739, on the other hand, is this month's "security update for Windows Graphics Component" -- otherwise known as MS 16-039, the security patch that (once again) fixes the way Windows handles fonts inside the kernel.

I know that sounds like combining beer and cement to make a cheesecake, but there you have it. KB 3138612 installs a new program to handle Windows Updates; KB 3145739 has a new Windows kernel. Either patch installed by itself leads to hours and hours of waiting for Windows 7 update. Installing both patches together brings wait times (on the systems I've checked, anyway) back to sane levels.

Poster ch100 explains:

KB 3145739 is superseding KB 3139852 which was made famous by Noel Carboni about a month ago. That patch was fixing slow update for a lot of people. As such it supersedes a ton of other older patches and from this point of view is like a Cumulative Update.

The issue which creates slowing down of WU is that all those old patches are not removed by Microsoft after releasing the new ones and create problems for those who try to patch new installations.

To see if you have KB 3138612 (remember, this is only for Windows 7), click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > View installed updates. Click on Name to sort your vast collection of updates by name. Look under the heading Microsoft Windows for "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3138612)." If you don't have it, go to the KB article and download the appropriate version (32-bit versions are identified as x86; 64-bit versions are x64), then double-click on the download to install it.

To see if you have KB 3145739, follow the same procedure but look for "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3145739)." If you don't have it, you'll need to fire up Internet Explorer (I kept getting spurious errors with Chrome and Firefox) and go to the appropriate site for the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version.

If my experience and that of dozens of others are any indication, when you download and manually install both patches, you'll save yourself hours and hours of waiting when you next scan for the most recent Windows 7 updates.

Tip of the Baker Street Irregulars hat to EP, ch100, and NC.

Source: Here's how to significantly speed up Windows 7 scans for updates (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

Discussion here... Win7 updates take hours – or days? Try this combination to fix it (AskWoody.com)

Archived