Windows Update Hanging When Downloading April 12 Patches

Batu69

The issue has already been confirmed on Windows 7 and 10

Microsoft rolled out this month’s Patch Tuesday updates a few hours ago, and everything seems to be running smoothly in the majority of cases, at least as far as installation of new bulletins is concerned.

It appears, however, that some users are experiencing a different type of problem that’s less common for a typical Patch Tuesday cycle.

Reports coming from users running Windows 7 reveal that Windows Update hangs when checking for updates or when downloading them, and the svchost.exe process CPU usage skyrockets to 100 percent.

Avoid checking for updates manually

At this point, it’s not yet clear why this is happening, but after trying the common workarounds, some users have decided to disable Windows Update and wait for a fix to be provided. Most likely, this is a server-side issue that’s going to be addressed soon, but for the moment, it blocks users from installing updates that would patch critical vulnerabilities in their software.

“Having same exact issue. Last month it took the most 10 minutes to show my updates. It has been 4 hours now and it is still ‘checking for updates.’ The service is running my CPU 50 %,” one user explained.

“The update check completed but now the downloading of the updates seems to be hanging. Green bar just keeps rolling along same as it did when checking for updates,” another one added.

We’ve also come across some similar reports of Windows Update hanging on Windows 10, but for the moment, this seems to be a rather isolated issue, so it remains more widespread on Windows 7.

The only solution in this case is to wait and avoid checking for updates manually, as Microsoft is expected to come up with a fix anytime soon. It remains to be seen if similar issues will be experienced today, but given the fact that many PCs have already received Patch Tuesday updates, the service should return to normal in the coming hours.

Article source

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win10 Update KB 3147458 fails several times ; Winupdate-client id=20  with error; 0x8007371C

After reboot these error appears in the eventlogs.

Any idea ...........?

Akaneharuka

For me after I update the windows 10 patch. 

I don't have any problem on windiows 10 64bits

Installed all updates few hours ago using Windows Update MiniTool after it notified me about new updates being available. No problems.

I do not know why and who need always such strange stories, that can not be mounted and hangs and so on.
Have not had any problems never. Also with this latest update was not.
I updated in a number of different computers in parallel (simultaneously), had no problems. Some of them were ready in 15 minutes, some took a bit more time.

1 hour ago, Kalju said:

I do not know why and who need always such strange stories, that can not be mounted and hangs and so on.
I updated in a number of different computers in parallel (simultaneously), had no problems. Some of them were ready in 15 minutes, some took a bit more time.

same here :-)

3 hours ago, Kalju said:

I dont see no were it happened to no one but windows 7 users Link from the op  so the title is very deceiving Its not about windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-hangs/dbd539c3-bfc6-42df-a6ff-0e55ef7938eb?page=1

And  updates on windows 7 are hell anymore and people who;s only support answers is problems dont exist because they dont happen to them is not worth a plug nickel . My advice to people on windows 7 is to hold off tell after patch Tuesday to update because the servers are being hammered i had trouble with it before and the next day it was fine,

Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 not showing any WU installed.... :\ nor did the previous build before this one did....

going to WU Catalog site and manually download the latest files, doesn't seem to work, because Windows says that those updates don't apply to my system! :duh:

6 minutes ago, manju said:

Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 not showing any WU installed.... :\ nor did the previous build before this one did....

going to WU Catalog site and manually download the latest files, doesn't seem to work, because Windows says that those updates don't apply to my system! :duh:

Only advice i can give you is just use the slow ring  tell they force you to update to redstone  in july-aug  and just test preview in vm , Windows 8.1  always updated like a champ for me two different pcs Windows 7 if you dont have auto updates on it takes a long time to get the updates up and there's many people with updates truned off to prevent windows 10 from installing patch tue is not a good day with auto updates  it done them when it was ready  .  Windows 8  updates messed up in it on me a lot when they still had them too .  :)

using the tool refered on a another topic (Windows updat mini tool), did seem's to get a few updates not acknowledged by WU...

Airstream_Bill

I had no trouble other than it took an hour or so.  I have noticed in past updates that it is not a continues Download when it is updating.  The download stops for awhile and then resumes.  At least that is how it works here on my end. 

Still searching for a working solution for ; error 0x8007371C  Win update client id=20  Win10

Lots of comments, but not a single working solution for this update-problem...............?

The updates installed on my computer fine and I didnt have a problem with windows updates hanging.  Ill see if I can find any information about your problem pete twelve.

Create a repair.bat batch file with following commands :

net stop wuauserv

cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution

ren Download Download.old

net start wuauserv

net stop bits

net start bits

net stop cryptsvc

cd %systemroot%\system32

ren catroot2 catroot2old

net start cryptsvc

Execute the batch file and install the update again . If it works , you can delete the folders Download.old and catroot2old :)

looks like someone is trying to sabotage Win7...

This annoyed the hell outta me (win7)...cpu stayed at 25%...thought I picked up a virus at first.

I  checked back on that  windows 7 pro laptop  updates were still not up so i left it on  and checked back about 4 hours latter they was up. i had to hide one get windows 10 update , all updates were successful .   I will wait and do my Windows 8.1 pc when ever  i decide to get on windows maybe tomorrow if i feel like fooling with it just depends .   :P

7 hours ago, Actarusse said:

Create a repair.bat batch file with following commands :

net stop wuauserv

cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution

ren Download Download.old

net start wuauserv

net stop bits

net start bits

net stop cryptsvc

cd %systemroot%\system32

ren catroot2 catroot2old

net start cryptsvc

Execute the batch file and install the update again . If it works , you can delete the folders Download.old and catroot2old :)

this way is better...

@echo off
cls

net stop wuauserv > NUL 2>&1
net stop cryptSvc > NUL 2>&1
net stop bits > NUL 2>&1
net stop msiserver > NUL 2>&1

rd "%SYSTEMROOT%\SoftwareDistribution" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\catroot2" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1

net start wuauserv > NUL 2>&1
net start cryptSvc > NUL 2>&1
net start bits > NUL 2>&1
net start msiserver > NUL 2>&1

pause

Hi Spectrum , you have a batch/reg-file for solving this issue..........?

( would be great !)

5 hours ago, Actarusse said:

Paste in notepad and name it with extension .bat :)

How do we do that in Win10 ???

Archived