How to Speed Up Chrome with OneTab

Batu69

Chrome, A Memory Hog?

If you have ever wondered why your Chrome browser can be such a memory hog, try looking at it in Resource Monitor. To access Resource Monitor: press Ctrl + Shift + ESC to open Task Manager. Now select the Performance tab and then click on Open Resource Monitor shown on the bottom of the screen.

Task manager

Once you are in Resource Monitor, click on the Memory tab and then click on the Image column to organize the process. Scroll down until you see the open chrome.exe files in the list.

RM with no Onetab

chrome header

A View browser showing the 13 open tabs.

Chrome handles open tabs as individual instances in memory. This does have its benefits, for example if one of the tabs crashes, it should have no effect on the remaining tabs. This does come at a price though, and that price is memory.

In the image below you will see 18 chrome processes consuming a considerable amount of memory, The reason there are more open than the 13 tabs is because Chrome also considers any extensions as a separate process. For example I have Dashlane open as an extension in Chrome and that is one of the extra processes shown.

RM with onetab

OneTab To The Rescue

onetabIn the next window you will see that by using OneTab, there are only four processes using memory. This saves a lot of memory that could be used by other programs if needed.

OneTab does not remove the open tabs but changes them to links that are all contained on one page. (See Image below)

Simply click on any link and the tab reopens exactly as it was.

OneTab is free software and performs exactly like it is supposed to. It claims to create a 95% memory reduction and there is no signup or registration required. This is really one of the few “absolutely free” software out there. No ads to navigate, no popups asking for donations, just free.

Some of the Benefits of using OneTab

If the tab you are using contains one or more scripts, reducing them to a link in OneTab reduces your overall CPU load.

You can create a webpage from your list of tabs and share them if you wanted.

The default setting is to leave any “Pinned” tabs in place but there is a setting that will allow you funnel them to OneTab as well.

Installing OneTab

onetab site

It would take longer for me to explain how to install it than it actually takes. Go to the OneTab webpage and scroll to bottom of the page. If you visit the site with your Chrome browser, just click on the “click here” link and it will install it into Chrome in 5 seconds. It can be uninstalled just as quickly.

Firefox:

OneTab has a separate site for Firefox. Follow pretty much the same procedures. There have been some reported issues in Firefox but OneTab has figured out the problem and the workaround is posted on the Ontab-Firefox site.

Summary

I have been using OneTab in Chrome for a while now and have had zero problems. I think you will find this much faster than searching your history to relocate a page or to bookmark a lot of sites you might not want.

Article source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 8GB which is by no means a large amount..  Of that I have about 6GB available for use. Chrome is using 2GB of RAM (I have over a dozen extensions) No problem.
People should probably just buy systems that have the hardware they need.. I can only assume people will just use this to "save" RAM without using the free RAM for absolutely anything..

2 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

I have 8GB which is by no means a large amount..  Of that I have about 6GB available for use. Chrome is using 2GB of RAM (I have over a dozen extensions) No problem.
People should probably just buy systems that have the hardware they need.. I can only assume people will just use this to "save" RAM without using the free RAM for absolutely anything..

so... your advice is to feed the monster to keep it happy?

it's just a damn browser and it needs as much resources as the rest of the OS processes combined during a "normal" session which runs for as much time as the OS does in many cases...

i'll try OneTab... try to tame the monster :P

1 hour ago, jbleck said:

so... your advice is to feed the monster to keep it happy?

it's just a damn browser and it needs as much resources as the rest of the OS processes combined during a "normal" session which runs for as much time as the OS does in many cases...

i'll try OneTab... try to tame the monster :P

It doesn't tame it.. it closes the tabs you have open and puts them in a list. The only thing it's taming is your shitty system with piss all RAM and your inability to keep less than dozens of tabs open.

And yes.. That's Exactly what RAM is for... This tool is for people who have shit systems and want to do I don't know what with the free RAM.. have it sit there do nothing maybe?  Maybe they want to Multi-task a game and a browser on like 2GB of RAM? I know, here's a better idea? Got shit all RAM? Don't use it all.

Just do yourself a favor and buy more RAM. Or perhaps continue to waste it on some useless shit or food that'll send you to an early grave.
Recommend 8GB+ for everybody... The RAM is cheap and bountiful, harvest it. Ya know, there's stuff you can spend money on that makes a difference and upgrading a shit system is one of them.

your answer doesn't provide a decent response to the problem...

getting a Hummer instead of your Mini Cooper doesn't make u slim... u're still fat but u look slim in a picture only.

4 minutes ago, jbleck said:

your answer doesn't provide a decent response to the problem...

getting a Hummer instead of your Mini Cooper doesn't make u slim... u're still fat but u look slim in a picture only.

What's the problem? Not enough RAM? Using it all because you can't manage meager resources? BUY MORE RAM.

BTW the title is misleading.. this doesn't speed up Chrome.. It just cuts back the RAM it's using.. which only means you have to reload the tabs you closed using this thing anyway.. 
So if you're doing that.. WHY OPEN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?|

Tools like this are for tools..

4 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

I have 26GB (2GB from dGPU) but I still hate how chrome is a memory hog, even after so many years <_<

As for this particular extension I'd say meh, snake oil & all that fluff IMO :lol:

22 hours ago, R0H1T said:

I have 26GB (2GB from dGPU) but I still hate how chrome is a memory hog, even after so many years <_<

As for this particular extension I'd say meh, snake oil & all that fluff IMO :lol:

It's a "hog" for performance and stability reasons.. and really why do you consider a gig or two to be such a big deal?
If you're not losing performance while multitasking I'd say, use all my RAM. That's what it's there for anyway.. not to just sit there being empty.. that's even worse.

Buying something and not even utilizing it to it's full potential... ugh.

Regardless of what some might think, Chrome is not poorly coded..

Browsers are complex and load a lot of elements and in comparison to the rest of them it's actually not a hog at all, click below for education.

http://www.cio.com/article/2974303/browsers/the-best-web-browser-of-2015-firefox-chrome-edge-ie-and-opera-compared.html?page=2

24 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

It's a "hog" for performance and stability reasons.. and really why do you consider a gig or two to be such a big deal?
If you're not losing performance while multitasking I'd say, use all my RAM. That's what it's there for anyway.. not to just sit there being empty.. that's even worse.

Buying something and not even utilizing it to it's full potential... ugh.

Regardless of what some might think, Chrome is not poorly coded..

Browsers are complex and load a lot of elements and in comparison to the rest of them it's actually not a hog at all, click below for education.

http://www.cio.com/article/2974303/browsers/the-best-web-browser-of-2015-firefox-chrome-edge-ie-and-opera-compared.html?page=2

I'm not so sure about that, alright webkit (& now blink) is the fastest browser engine out there but that has very little to do with what makes chrome such a resource hog, IMO the sandboxing & multiple processes are to blamed for this but to what extent is anyone's guess atm.

As for the second part I don't recall stating that ever, though looking at how well FF & the erstwhile Opera did, back in the day, I'd say chrome can learn quite a few things from them -_-

21 hours ago, R0H1T said:

I'm not so sure about that, alright webkit (& now blink) is the fastest browser engine out there but that has very little to do with what makes chrome such a resource hog, IMO the sandboxing & multiple processes are to blamed for this but to what extent is anyone's guess atm.

As for the second part I don't recall stating that ever, though looking at how well FF & the erstwhile Opera did, back in the day, I'd say chrome can learn quite a few things from them -_-

Yeah I'd likely say it was those things.. but still, 4GB of RAM is common, 8GB is on most gaming systems and even 16GB is plenty affordable. Factor in anyone giving a damn is running an SSD anyway and RAM usage pretty much becomes a non issue for just about every app.

Yeah, I didn't quote you saying that. When people say it's a hog they usually mean it's shit coding or bloated in whatever way. Simply put the best browser (Chrome undisputedly) requires a reasonable amount of resources.
And by reasonable I mean.. shit all really. My meager Ivy i5 with 8GB and a 850EVO blitzes through most apps without a sweat.

And yes, Opera is awesome.. But they were too slow to implement syncing etc, so I switched, both are great.
Was an old fan of the Fox but it was going nowhere fast.. At some point it may fade into obscurity, it's having trouble getting beyond 12% market share.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived