Best Security Software Combination.

karachidude

Okay I am going to run through and put down a list ... One or two in each to cover the highlights ( two because in some cases there isn't just ONE program that covers all the bases.. These are basic programs for the basic user...

Access = ID USB Lock Key, TruCrypt

Data = Eraser( DBAN driven ), R-Studio

Surveillance = Eyeline, WebcamXP

Update = Microsoft Update, Driver Genius Professional ( not really security )

Microsoft = Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, Microsoft FixIt! ( nice patches )..

Analyze = ESET Smart Security 4, SpyBot Search and Destroy

Network Management, I am going to leave this one out and System Management related to security...( Sec Agent Security Administrator .. easy one.. promised to give you absolute fits though...and it will be your own fault ) The reason I am going to leave these two out happens to be because the average user really doesn't worry with the types of programs I use here...and we are keeping it to ' THE AVERAGE USER'

I will say that the three top AV softwares are.. ( this is by percentage of malware detected... ) in no particular order..

ESET was in the top 10 I believe, but even if it is not I believe it is superior in its options and methods. Really has a lot to offer once you get inside...

UIS GData

Avira

Sunbelt Vipre

None of these companies are what the majority of people use out there... but for 2009 these are the guys.. I would like to try Gdata myself but .. all I have is a 230 something MB Trial.. files are HUGE..

• Replies 76
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is really really great tool, recently removed a virus from my PC that many like ESET, MBAM, Norton Scan couldn't find. It was an really dangerous virus.

On the other side you have to be very careful when using Microsoft FixIt. Any person who has used it should be knowing why.

I just use Nod32 v4.. and my brains..

No need for the fancy third party Firewalls, anti-spam etc etc..

If i'm not downloading I could live without an AV... Just use your brains during surfing on the web, accepting invites etc etc.. :)

Go eat some fish... it's good for some brainpower :P

On real-time I use only ESET Smart Security. On-demand Malwarebytes'. Don't need anything else... I keep stuff updated and use commonsense.

I forgot one more thing.. removal.. any self respecting individual would also have a BartPE Boot Disk, with Total Commander. I use this when you have those files that just WON"T remove. Just boot from disk and delete. For the most part everything will clean but you will have a few of those that keep popping backup, which means random pieces are still floating around in there and probably still in your Startup registry ... or the file itself is cached in your system...and active.

Common Sense I know, one of the most valuable tools I have gained is the ability to know what is in my Windows, and System32 folders by site and by looking at these files, digital signatures, creation/modification dates. Knowing whats in these folders help you eliminate anything that was not before.. Its an intelligent decision to keep your system maintained, and cleaned to be able to determine when something is wrong. Sometimes it is a shot in the dark, but it helps.

• Administrator
Go eat some fish... it's good for some brainpower :P

I'm vegetarian :lol:

ANW I don't wanna argue but I have faced many virus and virus type to say that many a times brain power does not work. Yes I know it is best to put some brain in it but also put some brain in getting at least somewhat essentially protected. :P

SIRavecavec

I use:

NOD 32 V 4

Spybot S&D

That would be all. 3 years same combination, no problems at all!

I just use Nod32 v4.. and my brains..

Im going even further.

I just run win xp pro sp3 with chromium browser.

If there happens something I just restore an old image.

• Administrator

Well it also depend on your job on the PC. I don't wanna get descriptive here. Well I have a job in which I have to keep good protection.

Right, and there's that thing about ' If its nothing worth doing right the first time.. it's not worth doing at all... '

karachidude

@Demonon

if u keep the image on the hardisk, that could become infected too.Restoring to a image wont remove the virus.

i think...i may b wrong..

• Administrator

You are, he maybe keeping his image over pen drive. ;)

karachidude

virus would infect that too

• Administrator

Not if he has made the image on the pen drive before the virus infects his PC. ;)

KIS 2010 fully loaded :guns: & Mbam free as back-up & Opera/Cometbird

karachidude

if he connects his usb to the infected system,the virus will spread to the pen drive too.

even if the virus doesnt penetrate the USB(USB Firewall etc) or if hes using a DVD,and manages to restore the desired image.The "Virus is still on the PC",it will corrupt again.

Right well with some viruses .. you have to DBAN the hard drive from disk.. Then reformat/reinstall ( reformat doesn't always rid your system ) the OS. Then once that is done.. you ether install from backups using your software.. OR you could just do the first install from an image that includes everything you need/want already... Also unless the software has the ability to decompress files and open archives then it won't be able to get in to the image...UNLESS.. it is stored on writable media and is opened for editing while infected/active file is on the system.. It is un-likely but is possible .. so truthfully common sense would come into play.

For those of you who don't know DBAN... It is a quick thorough powerful.. dangerous CD.. which is free.. shreds overwrites.. meets exceeds DoD standard...

karachidude

yeh a virus like that destroyed my LAN providers entertainment server,it may have been planted by a competitor.

Do you know exactly what happened to the server? I mean a lot of things can happen out there, and 'in there' too.. You can actually run your own server.. I have a couple... one of which will work with PS3's.. not for sure about other gaming platforms and haven't got to test it as I haven't gotten a PS3 yet.. but it covers DNLA3 support and real time transcoding...So its good for a little more than just PS3..Pretty cool.. A lot of things can come into play when protecting a server or network resource, I am not expert.. I run quite a network of servers for personal use..Maybe I will quit playing one day and get serious..( one good thing is I am the only one allowed.. LOL ) BUT I do have a relative idea. ( not to mention that IF I was attacked, ESET would cut all connections...and prevent operations from proceeding. )

• Administrator
not to mention that IF I was attacked, ESET would cut all connections...and prevent operations from proceeding.

Indeed. ESET does a great job.

karachidude

@heath

you pretty much lost me after"You can actually run your own server",but yes they have a gaming server too..for counter strike and stuff.But the entertainment server hosts stuff like pirated movies,games,cracks, tv shows,award functions,documentaries,wrestling,software and stuff,they had an option where u could upload things on there site and i think thats where the virus got in from.

and yeh ur not an expert :P

@heath

you pretty much lost me after"You can actually run your own server",but yes they have a gaming server too..for counter strike and stuff.But the entertainment server hosts stuff like pirated movie,games,cracks, tv shows,award functions,documentaries,wrestling,software and stuff,they had an option where u could upload things on there site and i think thats where the virus got in from.

and yeh ur not an expert :P

Yeah that opens up a whole new chapter...I had a bunch of stuff typed here but I think it is better summed up as this sort of hosting can be dangerous.

And technically as not being an expert, I can say the whole area is constantly changing you really have to be on the forefront and using these technologies everyday to really even be called a professional in the field.

Archived