Best Security Software Combination.

karachidude

@Jota.Ce:

Not all people live in the same country.

The available packages for you might not be available for us.

@demonon:

Getting a hardware firewall is a wise thing to do, but is it economical?

Why buy a hardware firewall if you only have 1 PC at home?

Why buy a hardware firewall if you don't have very important documents to protect?

Not that I have anything against hardware firewall(s) / router(s) since I use one to connect my computers :D

• Replies 76
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A hardware firewall can't block outbound connections from your pc unless you tell it to block application names or hosts etc by using rules. A software firewall is better because you can monitor ingoing and outgoing traffic and block applications that try to connect to the internet. Zonealarm Pro is a very efficient software firewall and is highly recommended.

My self I am using NIS 2009, PCTools Threatfire, F-Secure Online Backup for Consumers, Sandbox and Secunia Personal Software Inspector. I have Adblock plus and NOScript installed in Firefox 3.5. I used to use F-Secure Exploit Shield aswell, but after an update it crashed my browser at launch so i uninstalled it.

A hardware firewall can't block outbound connections from your pc unless you tell it to block application names or hosts etc by using rules. A software firewall is better because you can monitor ingoing and outgoing traffic and block applications that try to connect to the internet. Zonealarm Pro is a very efficient software firewall and is highly recommended.

My self I am using NIS 2009, PCTools Threatfire, F-Secure Online Backup for Consumers, Sandbox and Secunia Personal Software Inspector. I have Adblock plus and NOScript installed in Firefox 3.5. I used to use F-Secure Exploit Shield aswell, but after an update it crashed my browser at launch so i uninstalled it.

With so many security suite, no wonder it crash! :)

@Jota.Ce:

Not all people live in the same country.

The available packages for you might not be available for us.

But your ISP must supply you with some equipment to access to its service...

Don't they offer wi-fi routers for free (at internet signup or limited offers) in all places ?

Here they use to offer a basic "wired" single-port router for free, and wi-fi router for 30-50€ (for free if you do an internet signup).

Whatever..

If one really wants software to protect him or herself I recommend using a other browser than IE in XP.

Vista users can use IE8 with protected mode on. So use UAC, or use UAC in silent mode with TweakUAC.

It will really provide a solid browser.

Also you should try to use virtualisation or sandbox software. sandboxie, defensewall or shadowdefender/returnil.

Another favourite of mine is using MyWOT, linkscanner or sitehound. It will keep you from going to bad sites.

So a good combo would be:

Other browser or IE8 with protected mode on

sandboxie or returnil

MyWOT etc

Use a on-demand or real time scanner, preferably with advanced heuristics and such

I recommend PrevX edge or A2 antimalware

This with a good firewall and a up-to-date PC will keep everybody safe.

And best of all it's free.

Just PM me if you need some links to the software.

Here are some more great (free) tools:

Malware bytes anti-malware

Online-Armor

karachidude

Norton Internet Security and 360 and Kaspersky already has bad site scanners in there suite.I have only used these three so i know.

Ones Windows should always be up-to-date, the security patches microsoft provide are a must install.Internet Explorer 8 comes with the XP update theses days.If you are using a pirated copy search for a validation crack for XP and update asap.Updated computers run more smoothly and are naturally more secure.If you need links to these validation tools,just PM me.

If your using sandboxie with your browser than your connections wont be able to make illegal changes to your system.

Firewalls that come with security suites like Norton 360 are capable enough to be compared with stand alone software firewalls and I have always found them easier to configure.

Therefore a good security suite and an update should do the trick.

karachidude

has anybody used QUICK HEAL TOTAL SECURITY 2009?

here's another combination known as Cobra Security

Cobra Security 2010 includes:

avast! Virus Cleaner

Avira AntiVir Virus Remover

CWShredder

Dr.Web CureIt!

F-Secure Easy Virus Cleaner

McAfee Avert Stinger

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Multi Virus Cleaner

NOD32 On Demand Scanner

Prevx CSI

Sophos Anti-Rootkit

SpywareBlaster

What is Prevx CSI?

What is Avert Stinger?

has anybody used QUICK HEAL TOTAL SECURITY 2009?

here's another combination known as Cobra Security

Cobra Security 2010 includes:

avast! Virus Cleaner

Avira AntiVir Virus Remover

CWShredder

Dr.Web CureIt!

F-Secure Easy Virus Cleaner

McAfee Avert Stinger

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Multi Virus Cleaner

NOD32 On Demand Scanner

Prevx CSI

Sophos Anti-Rootkit

SpywareBlaster

What is Prevx CSI?

What is Avert Stinger?

Prevx CSI

Read more here: http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

McAfee Avert Stinger

Read more here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

karachidude

yes some of them are nice free softwares.

karachidude

hey i m not a noob any more :D

thx to the staff

this forum rocks

I use these :

1.Kaspersky Internet Security - Antivirus,antispyware,antiadware,firewall and so much more that you can't belive

Kaspersky is the best security app that exist.....the best.

2.Trojan remover.

This security combination for me provides maximum security and I will never change this....for sure.

the best security set up is (and free)

1.avita av(free)

2.sandboxie (free)

3.Comodo firewall only active

@hamamia:

Each to his own.

Agreed....I have a pc with no firewal (except hardware firewall) and AV. Just scan it once a week with MalwareByte.

Sry, of course I use brain (new AV's software?).....anyway this pc is use by me only.

karachidude

@hamania

"This security combination for me provides maximum security and I will never change this....for sure"

i thought that too when i was using Norton,but than offcourse i found out that kaspersky is much lighter on recourses and almost no false positives.

For me the best protection is (and I recommend it to everyone):

- Eset Smart Security

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with active real-time protection.

I also want to share one experience with mentioned software. Recently I had to "fix" one computer because it was terribly slow, people just called me and said that they cant do anything. I got the computer, I started it and Windows started fine, but I could not start any application. I tried to open control panel but it took forever (I stopped waiting after 10 minutes). While trying to do anything with it, hard disk was working like crazy, and I could here the noise it was making. So I decided to go to Safe Mode. When started, everything was working great and fast. So, I know that some virus/malware is in the game here. I installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, did a full scan on all disks and it found around 280 infections :P. I removed all infections and I started Windows in normal mode. I could already see that computer was running much smoother. But, it was not completely clean from viruses/malware as computer would almost completely freeze after 10-15 minutes. So, I installed Eset Smart Security and I did in-depth scan of all disks. It found around 70 more viruses (keep in mind that ESS found a lot of viruses on non Windows partition, so scan should be done on all partitions you have). It cleaned it and I rebooted computer (ESS did not ask reboot). Computer was completely "back to life". I could not believe how fast it was after this (considering it was an older computer), and I also could not believe that Windows could run at all when it had around 350 infections. So, this is why I'm using this combination, and now it is proved for me.

Cheers :)

karachidude

yes very nice combo.

try trojan remover as well.it removes all the infection caused modifications from the registry,even when the virus is still on the pc :)

• Administrator

I also recommend ESET NOD32 + MBAM Full version.

yes very nice combo.

try trojan remover as well.it removes all the infection caused modifications from the registry,even when the virus is still on the pc :P

I tried it once and I didn't like it. There is one thing I forgot to mention when working with MBAM. Before if removed infection, Registry Editor and Task Manager were disabled. Folder Options were missing and who knows what else was wrong, but MBAM fixed and restored everything. The good thing here is that I did not have to re-install Windows. I always try to fix problem before re-installing Windows. This is always the very last step for me. I think that everyone knows how boring and annoying is to install all software you had and to set up everything you like again.

Cheers :sneaky:

I recommend:

Norton Internet Security 2009/Norton 360 3.0 + Comodo Firewall ONLY + Microsoft Security Essentials (Optional, I use this to replace Windows Defender)

You'll need around 50MB RAM for this.

• 2 weeks later...
karachidude

@heath28(if ur readin)

please tell us the security software combination u use

it would surely b exhausting to read but informative

@heath28(if ur readin)

please tell us the security software combination u use

it would surely b exhausting to read but informative

LOL.. I know.. I feel like an old windbag...( who knows what that emoticon would look like ).. I think the problem is that when I start typing I type as though I am speaking to someone who has never embarked on that area.. So I wind up being 'explain-ative'..

I have been trying to be good! Honest, I hope someone notices that too guys..LOL

My security software includes End-Point, Surveillance, Network 'Control' :ph34r: , Hardware Key, Encryption, Repair, and Updates.. ( Categories... Access, Analyze, Data, Microsoft, Network Management, Surveillance, Update )...within this I have even more programs which are more suitable to different situations and needs...and scalable.

So.... I give you option ...

Do you want Malware related? Like what I have actively monitoring my system?

... specifics...

Internet related?

Methods?

Oooor what?

karachidude

i find u descriptive in a good way...:)

a security combination would involve the software or method u find best for each category u listed.

Archived