"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

@dcs18, WFC query

After inserting your config file to WFC the filtering level is set to low and therefore WFC is not notifying me if any program wants to access the internet. This ain't safe I guess. Do something.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dcs18, WFC query

After inserting your config file to WFC the filtering level is set to low and therefore WFC is not notifying me if any program wants to access the internet. This ain't safe I guess. Do something.

The config. file which you received from me does not contain the GUI settings - it is just a carrier for WFC rules.

You need to configure the interface preferences as per your personal choice - I personally like a medium filtering profile on High Notifications with the ability of other programs to add firewall rules disabled for purely Outbound Rules.

@dcs18 :hi:

i did a fresh idm install 2day

it looks like my IDM activation is holding gud with only this ip blocked - 184.173.188.104(the most important one)

with only that ip(the most important one) blocked,just received a registration screen of death from IDM, first time i m seeing this kind of msg from IDM

RSOD.png

now onto this stage :P

my question, should i add other ip's as well or wait and monitor the progress :think:

Thanks for the feedback - it seems safer to block all of those 24 IPs (can't trust IDM.)

@ zarko

I am glad to find such a lot of us using WFC. F3h9xqz.gif

It's not WFC-windows firewall control, it's just a Windows build in firewall

@ zarko

I am glad to find such a lot of us using WFC. F3h9xqz.gif

It's not WFC-windows firewall control, it's just a Windows build in firewall

Ah yes, they both use the same GUI base.

Ah yes, they both use the same GUI base.

yes, I realize that now :) , but It's enough for me after ESS firewall, great firewall have ESET but I don't use antivirus anymore, they all bullshit us :duh:

I have news, first time after one month I get fake serial number bullshit and I'm adding more IP in firewall, they are not enough

184.173.188.104 internetdownloadmanager.com
184.173.188.106 secure.internetdownloadmanager.com
184.173.188.107 registeridm.com

much IPs blocked as necessity, the better..

much IPs blocked as necessity, the better..

Yeah, I just wanted to test what IP's is calling

Its best to use all the ips for IDM to block because for years when most everyone were using host blocks they used many .

184.173.188.107 calls out when you try to register it. 184.173.188.104 calls out when checking for updates but IDM are good for changing the ones they check for updates around to kill patches Did you see witch one it called out to by any chance ?

checking for updates was blocked with

184.173.188.104 internetdownloadmanager.com

184.173.188.106 secure.internetdownloadmanager.com
184.173.188.107 registeridm.com
till today, now I add this one 50.97.41.98 star.tonec.com and updates are blocked again, will see how long

Yep , see what happen to you were you had certain ip blocked and it called out a different IP after you used it so long, is a trick IDM use to play the patches a lot.

It use to some patches that would past 184.173.188.107 registeridm.com and 184.173.188.104 when it tells you its going check for updates every 2 weeks. Well if you kept it installed long enough it would call out to an IP the patch was not blocking and you would get a fake serial popup .

Here lately most patches failed because IDM keeps recompiling the program different. But this is reason when some one says a patch/fix is working when the update 1st came out dont mean its going to work 2 or 3 weeks from now .

You tested those 3 ips for a long time and they failed . Host blocks worked good for years and years tell IDM decided to use SSL to call home and can break thorough host blocks . Strange thing was when testing 6.20 Build 2 with host blocks IDM got thorough with 184.173.188.104 when saying they were going to check for updates latter on but it never unregistered me . What did they do when they call home http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/data/ contaminate the registry?

ok, even while calling home and contaminate the registry, you can always re-register IDM and I'm sure that if I block all that IP's , IDM will never call home

I'm pretty sure if you was to block all the ips the bare minimum of that of and old host block file was before we started using this method of blocking ips you most likely will be OK. But since every one was nice enough to pitch in with new ones I'm utilizing those too.

You take programs like TU for instance there protection is far more advanced than IDM and I been using the same build every since last serial was leaked with just rules in my windows FW. :)

can u elaborate on the terms self updating and self installing( the process,mayb some screenshot of firefox doing it,so that i recognise which process u r talking abt),atm i have no idea what process u r trying to stop here

:)

Why do you use Firewall rules to turn off updates in Firefox ?

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu ) and then click Options. 2.Click the Advanced panel. 3.Click the Update tab. The auto-update options are displayed. Just tick never check for updates box and then you can just check them when fell like it or just download installers.

Why do you use Firewall rules to turn off updates in Firefox ?

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu ) and then click Options. 2.Click the Advanced panel. 3.Click the Update tab. The auto-update options are displayed. Just tick never check for updates box and then you can just check them when fell like it or just download installers.

It is professional to use a multi-layered approach - remember, I mentioned to you that I administer to hundreds of client machines. Besides, the firewall approach brings the following advantage over the conventional one:--

Please note - the configuration at the following graphic illustrations overrides the setting on the Firefox interface

FWIW, I use firewalling on Firefox despite the fact that the options on any of my configurations are disabled and do not allow the luxury of being easily changed by my clients:--

mcnWOdV.png

although i have not tested the firefox firewall rules but just a query for 1st ip showed this : http://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/27.5.97.250

now this is a mumbai based ip specifically related to hathway, i think it is a personalised ip for ur location rather than being a general/universal one

can u plz elaborate on the first ip specifically (yet to test others)

Righto, have brought the number of IPs down to 9 - made necessary edits to post # 447 and post # 2. Sqcr0rM.gif

ok not to be a spoilsport again but u need to check the last ip as well

same problem as the first one.

will check the rest of the ips later :P

edit: need new block image for firefox firewall

Is there anyone who can help me via team-viewer because "fake serial" still appears after few minutes after making outbound rules?

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived