AOL shuts down Winamp for good

Lyon275

I switched to AIMP3 and so far i like it. Sound is much better and it gets regular updates!

I think more and more people will switch to AIMP3 after this! :)

I did the same exactly one year ago, after using Winamp for 10 years in total. Aimp is awesome. :)

• Replies 51
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DKT27

• BookCase

• Sonar

• SnakeMasteR

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Talking about sound quality, try foobar2000 :)

I personally feel AIMP is a great alternative to Winamp. Reason is simple, in addition to a lot of other things, it offers sound quality that is better than of Winamp. Atleast to me.

Already using it. Consider it better than even AIMP. :) However, I'm only noting AIMP as it's quite similar to Winamp and many Winamp fans would like it.

Well for me I've used Winamp for...ever?

Although to switch to something like AIMP... does it have a feature similar to "iPod Support" that's the name of the program.

Basically something that allows for me to add music to my iPod without having to worry about syncing.

As honestly that's the only reason I've stuck to Winamp.

Might sound dumb, but Winamps native iPod support wasn't that great so I used that plug-in which is outdated (2010). *shrugs*

Well, you can continue to use it. I personally don't know if AIMP supports iPods or not.

you know there was a thread somewhere where some body was arguing that winamp is not dying and is better then aimp! - well shame on that person cause the person who you was arguing with is drinking beers laughing :D

I'm glad winamp is going! died time ago

Didn't know about that. Searching finds this thread.

that's the one haha - I had to giggle reading this thread then thinking of that one user :D I feel sorry for him - Winamp was good when there was no competition and was one of the decent music players back then.

AOL broke everything back in the day

You must be reading it wrong (too much cheap beer in your system already?), I never said Winamp is not dying, I said it's not dead and it wasn't at the time I wrote it. I didn't claim it's better like others tend to throw around so easily. All I said was that I prefer Winamp and that it uses less memory and CPU than AIMP, which is still valid.

It's sad how some people find joy in all of this and it's a cause for celebration for them when something or someone dies. What did Winamp ever do to you? It must have been awful being forced to use it. Some people. Yikes. Your attitude speaks for itself and it seems you still have a long way to maturity even if your body tells you otherwise. Which is what you should actually be concerned about.

You should at least put some thought when trying to engage in conversation and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why I'm even wasting my time with you.

I'm still enjoying this piece of software and will continue to do so until a decent alternative comes along. It's going to be fine, don't worry about about it.

I did link to that thread. However, I'll like to say that whatever our and other's opinions are, we should respect them. No one has same likes and dislikes and share same opinions about things, respecting other's views is always the right way to go.

Methinks this post...

AOL was like an anchor around the neck of Winamp. I'm hoping that it will rise from the ashes as an open source.

May have been meant to go here ??:

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/195168-aol-shuts-down-winamp-for-good/

Thanks for the info. Moved. :)

I did link to that thread. However, I'll like to say that whatever our and other's opinions are, we should respect them. No one has same likes and dislikes and share same opinions about things, respecting other's views is always the right way to go.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Here's hoping at least some will pay enough attention and learn a thing or two from this. If you prefer a product don't assume it's the best for everyone. Best is relative, what's best for you may not be best me. Who cares if I use Winamp? It's my choice, deal with it.

Edited by Purple Trail

This is very sad news, for me. Just terrible! Been using Winamp forever. Have the pro version on PC and android. :( I will miss you always, Winamp! **Cries for the llama**

• Administrator

Well, Winamp will still work.

Having said, all the users who haven't tried AIMP or Foobar yet, should certainly give them a try. AIMP is similar to Winamp and Foobar is preferred by audiophiles and such.

Well, Winamp will still work.

Having said, all the users who haven't tried AIMP or Foobar yet, should certainly give them a try. AIMP is similar to Winamp and Foobar is preferred by audiophiles and such.

Will the Shoutcast servers go down, too? Or will they work with the others? Any news on that?

I made this:

dd4648321803efc010e4d01a0a32bd72.png

I'll prolly write an article about it on my site with this as the logo.

Edited by DocBob1939

http://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ

I am using ASIO/WASAPI/etc output and I am experiencing issues...

Do not use alternate output modes unless you must. There is NO benefit in terms of audio quality to using these, as far as music playback is concerned ( read more on the subject ).

Additionally, on most systems, WASAPI (if available) is known to be more stable than ASIO.

Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of the other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

So I switched to AIMP long time ago.

• Administrator

Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of the other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

Even then, I say Foobar is better. I've experienced better sound quality after testing many players. Keeping all the players at same setting - same bits, same sampling rate and other things.

Having said, AIMP gives a good competition to Foobar in the sound quality.

you know there was a thread somewhere where some body was arguing that winamp is not dying and is better then aimp! - well shame on that person cause the person who you was arguing with is drinking beers laughing :D

I'm glad winamp is going! died time ago

Didn't know about that. Searching finds this thread.

that's the one haha - I had to giggle reading this thread then thinking of that one user :D I feel sorry for him - Winamp was good when there was no competition and was one of the decent music players back then.

AOL broke everything back in the day

You must be reading it wrong (too much cheap beer in your system already?), I never said Winamp is not dying, I said it's not dead and it wasn't at the time I wrote it. I didn't claim it's better like others tend to throw around so easily. All I said was that I prefer Winamp and that it uses less memory and CPU than AIMP, which is still valid.

It's sad how some people find joy in all of this and it's a cause for celebration for them when something or someone dies. What did Winamp ever do to you? It must have been awful being forced to use it. Some people. Yikes. Your attitude speaks for itself and it seems you still have a long way to maturity even if your body tells you otherwise. Which is what you should actually be concerned about.

You should at least put some thought when trying to engage in conversation and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why I'm even wasting my time with you.

I'm still enjoying this piece of software and will continue to do so until a decent alternative comes along. It's going to be fine, don't worry about about it.

haha! your still upset we linked to you - it was never enforced as an attack just a "giggle" as my first post stated!

Now for the other crap you wrote - don't go off-topic - someone dying is a hole new board game were talking about winamp?

Now your last reply attacks me directly in a manner of which you speak about your self.

"Yikes. Your attitude speaks for itself and it seems you still have a long way to maturity even if your body tells you otherwise. Which is what you should actually be concerned about."

Typical forum / chatroom troll - age comes first then the keyboard warrior about spelling and typing next - you done your selft justice just from me mentioning an thread on the forum lol....

Edited by Sonar

oh that's suck. :(

my first experience on audio player long time ago, nice and easy to use software, :wub:

R.I.P Winamp,

DocBob1939, permission to use your logo, credit to you of course :D

Edited by lordi

oh that's suck. :(

my first experience on audio player long time ago, nice and easy to use software, :wub:

R.I.P Winamp,

DocBob1939, permission to use your logo, credit to you of course :D

Yes, feel free to use my images in any way, shape or form, with or without creditting me. Idc. I give freely.

Hi, I don't if this has been already posted or not:

AOL: Keep Winamp alive or let it go open source

Please sign this petition!

Thanks

Thanks for sharing! Signed and shared with others, as well.

a3299280e412ea7f441f4972a69bc961.png

Edited by DocBob1939

Sad news. I´ve used WinAmp for many years untill I switched to AIMP3 about 3 years ago.

Well, I guess Winamp won´t be whipping anything, no more. Unfortunately. :unsure:

The end of an era really, but I was actually expecting this ever since I read that Ars article last year. I have used it since the DOS days, but the way AOL treated Justin and Winamp is really shameful. RIP Winamp, and I hope AOL at least has enough good sense to open source it.

If you were around the Internet back in the late 90s or early 2000s then Winamp will no doubt be a name that you’re very familiar with. Once the go-to media player of the early generations of MP3 users, Winamp grew big enough and quickly enough to get the attentions of AOL, who paid a not inconsiderably $80 million for it back in 1999.

The problem is that since that acquisition went through the AOL management teams have been systematically taking Winamp’s popularity and ripping it up, with the media player now a fair way down the pecking order that sees apps and services like Apple’s iTunes lead the way.

Winamp-logo.png

Now, in what feels like a move that was almost inevitable, AOL has announced that it will be shutting down Winamp.com and removing the once popular Winamp media player from circulation for good. If you want to be able to use Winamp moving forward, we suggest you get the latest build downloaded before December 20th when everything goes away for good.
Winamp.com and associated Web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, the Winamp media player will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release. Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
Those are the sad – or rather depressing words – on the download page of Winamp as of now.

Winamp-homepage.png

It’s a sad day for those of us that were around when Winamp was one of the first things we installed on a new machine, but that being said we have to admit to not having use the app for some considerable time. In a day and age where not only does iTunes provide most of the functionality that people require, as well as giving them somewhere to buy their music in the first place, the niche for apps like Winamp just continues to get smaller. Throw streaming services such as Spotify and Rdio into the mix, and it’s not difficult to see where it all went wrong for Winamp.
Edited by 7h3Pr3d47oR
Spoiler.

I felt it coming, but it sucks. I still use Winamp for my music! The library is a winner and I'm a perfectionist over tagging and labeling correctly, and Winamp's dual pane, ID3v1 & ID3v2, (ok, AIMP shows both tag versions too) tagger worked great in seeing if ID3v1 tags were cut off and needed to be removed, and if any weird and wonderful tags also needed to be removed. I have tried AIMP but something about it was not working well for me - think it had something to do with adding tracks (enqueueing) into current playlist or just dealing with the playlist or something.. but after some time I might have to make the move.

What can I use for my videos now? Movies and series I use Media Player Classic, but for my other videos (music videos), I like to keep them in a library and not access them through the folder structure...

EDIT: After some testing..Yes, AIMP doesn't have a nice way of playing/adding music easily in the main player..and what's this library player? I only want one player.. It makes some sense but then let me really have to choose to use the library player, instead of unintentionally using the library's player when really all I wanted was to play the tracks in the Aimp main window. And why must I go through the menu bar to get to the library? Isn't their a dedicated library button on the player by default?

Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice audio player. And to be honest I tested Aimp out some months ago myself since I wasn't feeling Winamp were being serious anymore.

So, when the time is right to move. Aimp will be my first choice.

Edited by Casper

Sad to read this. But Winamp hasn't major changes since years ago.

It will be remembered but not miss a lot. There are better alternatives like AIMP.

I decided to download it and install it as the last time I used it was in the 2oth century.

I remember reading that it became free when the original author said he'd made enough money forever from it.

Then A.O.L. got it so I read (as I didn't know).

Might use it again as it looks good.