Are You Going To Switch To Windows 8?

avmad

Windows 8  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to switch to Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • I'm switching to something else, Linux etc
    • Not until at least 2013
  2. 2. If you do switch to Windows 8 will you pay?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • I won't switch

...a very generous and a good friend has gifted me a retail key. :)

For Win 7 or Win 8? :P

I'm stuck on Windows 8 cause I can't boot into Windows 7 after I changed my motherboard

If you're using the same storage drive, download Easy BCD and get back the "Boot into Win 7" option. You'll have to use Daz's loader to re-activate your Win7. ;)

• Replies 81
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

...a very generous and a good friend has gifted me a retail key. :)

For Win 7 or Win 8? :P

8 of course. :P

I'm stuck on Windows 8 cause I can't boot into Windows 7 after I changed my motherboard

If you're using the same storage drive, download Easy BCD and get back the "Boot into Win 7" option. You'll have to use Daz's loader to re-activate your Win7. ;)

I already have the option to choose between Windows 7 and Windows 8 during startup but when i choose Windows 7, my PC will crash and restart when the starting windows logo animates for a while

I guess you gotta use the "Repair MBR" option or something. If I remember correctly, on MDL, Daz has a tut on how to troubleshoot similar issues on dual booting with Vista. Dunno how much of that applies to W8, but it's definitely worth giving a go, I think :think:

OK, so I installed and activated Win8 Pro yesterday. Apart from the obvious WTF's, it's got a few quirks, that I've discovered thus far.

1. It'll not recognize the hardware "Sleep", "back", "forward" keys. Actually, the sleep button, unlike XP and W7, turns the PC off, but in a funny way. As I start up again, it somehow boots back into Win8 logoff/logon screen (not the blue windowed startup screen) without going through any boot options as if it was just logged off and not powered down. Weird ;)

I use a cheap Taiwanese keyboard (Genius) and I'm pretty sure checking their website for Win8 drivers will be an exercise in futility, so I haven't even bothered ;)

2. Took multiple re-starts for it to recognize my gfx driver. Installed GPU, LAN and Realtek sound drivers. But the display kept looking all groggy and resolution challenged :P (1024x768 instead of the native 1360x768). Even updated my monitor drivers (LG W1953T), even though that was clearly not the problem. Suddenly as I was tearing my hair out scouring the net for solutions, explorer.exe restarted by itself and everything was hunky dory. :)

3. A couple of times, booting into Win8 de-activated my Win7 (activated with Daz's Loader). Had to re-activate a couple of times. Also, Win8 has a mind of it's own when it comes to the Boot options menu. Kept using it's own bootloader instead of following my settings. Had to re-build the boot files to get my settings to work. So far so good. Hopefully, it'll stay that way ;)

The whole thing feels more like a toy than a productivity tool as of now. Interesting, but too time consuming to get anything done. In any case, I hate the non-availability of Aero natively ;)

For whatever it's worth, running WIn8 Pro x64 Build 6.2.9200.16384 updated today :yes:

Archived