Are You Going To Switch To Windows 8?

avmad

Windows 8  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to switch to Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • I'm switching to something else, Linux etc
    • Not until at least 2013
  2. 2. If you do switch to Windows 8 will you pay?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • I won't switch

• Administrator

"Post-PC era", did someone say? :P

PC-Plus era.

- Microsoft.

Yup, using desktop to leverage mobiles, nice. -_-

I personally don't have anything against MS as I think they have made great OSes. However, things are turning quite crappy IMO.

• Replies 81
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree with you more, DKT. Microsoft is trying to get its users used to the interface of Windows Phone. I'm right now on Windows 8, its fast, looks nice, etc. but I still think that Windows 7 is best Windows OS so far for non tablet/phone users. Start menu gone makes it really difficult to access software, etc. at least for me. Windows Aero is aesthetically more pleasing than Metro UI. Is there a way to disable the 'Start' screen on Windows 8?

I'm sure i won't switch...

I couldn't agree with you more, DKT. Microsoft is trying to get its users used to the interface of Windows Phone. I'm right now on Windows 8, its fast, looks nice, etc. but I still think that Windows 7 is best Windows OS so far for non tablet/phone users. Start menu gone makes it really difficult to access software, etc. at least for me. Windows Aero is aesthetically more pleasing than Metro UI. Is there a way to disable the 'Start' screen on Windows 8?

If you go to the right corner (in desktop), you can access the new start UI. You can press "win" key as well.

• Administrator

I fully agree with you.

You might wanna try some softwares like Classic Start Menu (AskVG has made a Windows 7 start menu). There are other softwares too.

I fully agree with you.

You might wanna try some softwares like Classic Start Menu (AskVG has made a Windows 7 start menu). There are other softwares too.

I tried them out, but they don't look good to be honest. I'm still debating whether to stick with Windows 7 or stay with Windows 8. But I'm finding more and more reasons to stick with Windows 7 really. I honestly don't know what's in Windows 8 that could appease desktop users. Metro UI with mouse? M$ is ridiculing its desktop users. The only good thing about Windows 8 so far:

- IE 10 kicks ass on flash games, etc. GPU acceleration is the best of all browsers to date.

- Native ISO mounting support, no need for third party apps like PowerISO (I really loved PowerISO)

- Revamped Task Manager

- File Transfer screen is pretty cool

- Faster performance (could be because I haven't installed software yet)

- Pleasant Windows sounds

Cons:

- Metro UI sucks

- No Start menu

- No AMD Mobility drivers

- Cannot avoid annoying Start screen

- There's really nothing in Windows 8 for Desktop users

I think the above brief review was one of the more honest ones here.

I read somewhere that the start screen can be bypassed - shall post here if I find it.

Very simple choice really. Nobody will 'need' Win8 on desktops. The question will be - Do you 'want' it? :dunno:

I jumped ship from XP pretty early with Win7 RC. But this time 'round, cannot see a reason to do that, burned as I was with the Dev Preview :(

x86 on tablets will be a bit of a novelty. Cheaper Win RT tabs will be the preferred option for consumers methinks. But Win8 Intel tablets maybe the preferred corporate option for seamless integration with the Windows eco-system that they are already trapped in. :yes:

PS: Free Office with Surface Pro won't hurt either :P

• Administrator

Yup. Very good points from Tweety.Abd. :)

PS: Free Office with Surface Pro won't hurt either :P

I think only starter edition is offered on the WinRT version of Windows 8.

yes!!! winodws 8 was great!!!

Really? The more I see of it the more I dislike it. It seems like W7 dumbed down and the configuration aspect taken away.

I want to like it. I just can't see any reason to replace 7 with it. I'd have to use loads of 3rd party programs to basically turn it into w7 :lol:

No way would I even have considered it unless it was $40. Microsoft must have realised hence the price.

Still undecided, but going further into NO territory lol.

RogggenWolfe

Nah I wont switch right away theres no rush I love windows 7.

and no I wont pay I dont want to encourage them

I might switch when it has been completely un-Metroized by people (the process has already started with working Start8, metro skipper etc.) but honestly Windows 7 SP1 works flawlessly.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh yeah agreed, it was great . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until they released it to the public. :s

:pirate:

maybe 2013 sometime when cracks are more stable

or

ill wait for feed back ALONG with drivers being compatable (yes i know there are drivers for windows 8 but some are still in beta)

I wont switch. I am very happy with WIN 7

Aren't we all? :D

Oh yeah agreed, it was great . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until they released it to the public. :s

LOL! So true but just wondering, what has M$ ever done to you that you have such a hard on for Win8? :P :hehe: :lmao:

Really? The more I see of it the more I dislike it. It seems like W7 dumbed down and the configuration aspect taken away.

I want to like it. I just can't see any reason to replace 7 with it. I'd have to use loads of 3rd party programs to basically turn it into w7 :lol:

No way would I even have considered it unless it was $40. Microsoft must have realised hence the price.

Still undecided, but going further into NO territory lol.

you have no choice time will pass and windows 7 will not be supported by microsoft!

guys always use up to date software! most important operating system!

did u pay for windows 8? ofcourse not.. what's ur problem on their price!!!! DAMN!!!

microsoft is working hard to make their business grow also for customer mo efficient and convinience operating system to use

there's nothing wrong creating a brand new operating system! so always try the NEW

if u want an OLD OS!! use linux

you have no choice

we still have choices ;) my beloved XP & Win7 :D and also Linux

windows 7 will not be supported by microsoft!

at least we still have time until 2021 (12 years supported) for Win7 :P

for PC/desktop,I'd stick with XP/Win7 that suit my needs and daily basis works. Typically use start menu than Metro style.

Win8 to be more oriented toward touch devices,IMO... :)

if u want an OLD OS!! use linux

Huh! :o :hehe: :nono:

you have no choice time will pass and windows 7 will not be supported by microsoft!

we still have choices ;) my beloved XP & Win7 :D and also Linux

at least we still have time until 2021 (12 years supported) for Win7 :P

Actually, Jan 2020 :P

But yeah, you're absolutely right. We do have enough choices for now, but just for the heck of it, I will give Win8 a try :)

And in the future, as MS realizes that there will always be a dedicated desktop community that patronizes MS, they will simply have to cater to them. Maybe with Win9, they will be less arrogant, especially if Win8 usage doesn't really take off along expected lines ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so now it's available have you changed your mind? If so change your vote. I'm interested to see if the results change :D

Posted Image

• Administrator

My vote changes to Yes and No.

1. I'm planning. But my gut is telling no.

2. No cause, a very generous and a good friend has gifted me a retail key. :)

Archived