Best Defrag Software?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Which defragmenting software do you use?

• Diskeeper Pro/Server 2012
    • Raxco Perfect Disk Server 12.5
    • O&O Defrag Pro 16
    • UltimateDefrag 4
    • Other
    • None
  2. 2. Which Defragmenting software do you think is the best?

• Diskeeper Pro/Server 2012
    • Raxco Perfect Disk Server 12.5
    • O&O Defrag Pro 16
    • UltimateDefrag 4
    • Other
    • None

• Replies 155
  • Views 49.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been looking for a defragger but decided to wait until the bugs are worked out for people that have win8..win 8 been out long enough that there should have been no worry about issues with winboot.....just using the win8 defrag that came with the OS and most likely will not be installing any other defragger

i voted for PD 12.5, as i use win8, i used a fix to disable boot defrag from PD and now win8 hybrid shutdown is running fine..

just have a new note book with win8 installed..some of the newest info i have found is that third party software is not required for defragging drives..what is the opinion here among the nsane group of experts..i have pretty much grown to trust this site for such matters

just have a new note book with win8 installed..some of the newest info i have found is that third party software is not required for defragging drives..what is the opinion here among the nsane group of experts..i have pretty much grown to trust this site for such matters

Depends if you have a SSD or HDD.

Defrag only if you have HDD at least twice a month with no real-time defragmentation software

I would recommend Ultimate Defrag 4 as its one of the best and I'm using it at the moment.

• Administrator

That's Windows defrag. Not as good as 3rd party ones. ;)

Did anybody try UltraDefrag . http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

Synonymous with its name , Ultra -- light , fast and efficient and has some nice extra's too !

I tried it on my dad's PC that was having some hang up issues for quite some time , the reason i figured out was heavy fragmentation of the drives .

One run of this tool and there have been no more hang ups and the PCs running just fine .;)

Since then i have it installed on my PC too . :)

Highly recommended ...... ! :yes:

Gone back to real-time with Diskeeper 2011 just because it is convenient.

But otherwise I swear by MyDefrag. Amazing results from this one. I use it on everyones PC I encounter now days.

• 2 weeks later...

waste of time and money to use these softwares

People still pay for software these days? That's news to me.

There's a medicine for these kind of softwares that are not worth buying :P

There's a medicine for these kind of softwares that are not worth buying :P

waste of time :P

• 5 months later...
Blackchildcx

PD 12.5 Pro from FP

and used Diskeeper 2011 From FP with Hyperfast, but 2011 against PD 12.5

PD12.5 is the clear winner..

Maybe the latest build...16XXX from DK is better?

found this only in german

USE GOOGLE TRANSLATE PLEASE !

http://www.hofmannc.de/windows-7-defragmentierer-test/benchmarks.html

previously using Disk Keeper and now

O&O Defrag Professional

KamenRiderBlack

haven't defragged my hdd for quite a while now. i use iobit's smart defrag 2.

i use iobit's smart defrag 2.

This is what I usually use, but I wanted to try Auslogics DiskDefrag, bad idea, why, because I manually set it to Defrag & Optimize, and it didn't even do that properly, so back to SM2.

Expand your view..think..test and decide by yourself :) Check out this below test :

W7 conclusion :

How good is the Windows 7 Defragmenter actually?

The Windows 7 Defragmenter does quite a decent job. Unlike its Windows XP counterpart, it does not perform as well at the boot optimization, but scores in the disciplines defragmentation and consolidation of free space. Thus, the Windows 7 Defragmenter is competitive with the other defragmenters. In other words, other defragmenters are struggling to make the system noticeably faster. An advantage of the Windows 7 Defragmenter is that it automatically works in the background. The user does not need to worry about anything in that regard.

Which defragmenter is the best?

It is difficult to determine a winner for this test, as there are hardly any differences between the defragmenters. Significant differences can be observed only for the boot time and Civilization IV. Therefore, this is more of a list of "defragmenters that are only a little better than the Windows 7 Defragmenter":

1. MyDefrag 4.3.1
    Although MyDefrag 4.3.1 is now over 3 years old, it can perform better than any other defragmenter.
  2. O&O Defrag Pro 16 + Free 14
    In this test, too, O&O Defrag performs almost as well as MyDefrag 4.3.1. This applies to both the paid (Pro), as well as for the free version. The former provided slightly better results with the Optimize/Complete method, though. The latter one, on the other hand, created a striking number of gaps between the files, but they also had little effect on the performance.
  3. Update 1.1: PuranDefrag 7.6 & Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro 4.2.2
    Both defragmenters could break away from the Windows 7 Defragmenter, but not significantly.
  4. Windows 7 Defragmenter
    Since no other (so far tested) defragmenter showed better results, this one gets the 3rd place. It gets bonus points for the easy installation (there is none) and automatic defragmentation in the background.

XP conclusion :

How good is the Windows Defragmenter?

Here one must distinguish between the defragmenter which has to be started manually and the Defrag.exe, that performs it's service invisible in the background. The latter is on par with other defragmenters, concerning the boot time and it also performs well at application startups (Except for TV-Browser). But it makes the last place in defragmentation and the prevention of new fragmentation.

Surprisingly, the Windows Defragmenter does not use any functions of the Defrag.exe, not even the Prefetch files. The only plus points for the Windows Defragmenteris when it comes to actual defragmenting. But it makes the last place in fragmentation prevention, though. It can therefore only be considered as a pure defragmenter, no more and no less.

Is a third-party defragmenter better?

MyDefrag 4.3.1 can be found at the first place on (almost) all the tests, so this question can be answered with a clear "yes".

The second place goes to O&O Defrag 14.1 (where the Professional version was only a tad better) which was only measurably worse than MyDefrag in the most tests.

Choosing a defragmenter for the third place is a bit tricky: Paragon Total Defrag 2010 performed almost as well in the boot time and program start tests as the the other two, whereas DiskTrix Ultimate Defrag 3 was very thorough in defragmenting and increasing the write speed.

Diskeeper is also worth mentioning, since it can prevent most fragmentation before it even happens, but performed only average in other tests.

So which defragmenter should I use?

For pure office PCs the Windows Defrag.exe does it's job thoroughly. Other defragmenters are almost out of place here.

But it looks different when large amounts of data are written and deleted (music, videos, games, etc.). The Windows Defrag.exe does not care about fragmentation and the Windows Defragmenter does not provide satisfactory results when it comes to refragmentation. For this scenario, a different defragmenter is needed!

For those who want a thorough optimization, MyDefrag is the tool of choice. For those who do not need it as thorough and like more colorful, user friendly interfaces are well served with O&O Defrag.

Full story at : http://www.hofmannc.de/en/

for XP : I stick with DK

for W7 : thinking about newest O&O ;)

cheers :wub:

I used to agree but no longer at least for one of them...O&O. I tried about every defrag soft out there and it seemed all they did was put colored squares that represented my HDD in a nice neat picture! I never ever noticed any benefits from them. Then I purchased a new computer. A computer that was capable of playing the newest FPS games. I noticed in a couple games that I had what is called micro-lag. From reading posts at many different boards (and ruling out everything else) I learned that the micro-lag was due to my HDD "stuttering" in the games and that maybe defragging would help. Out of all the defrag softs I tried (every single one on nsane plus others) O&O was the only one that helped. It eliminated my micro-lag in my games. I also bench my system once in awhile to see how its performing and I noticed my marks were up. I looked into the marks of each component seperatly and found that the reason my overall marks were up was because the HDD test mark was considerably higher (20-25%) than before using O&O. g/l have fun.

MyDefrag 4.3.1

I am going to try this one, but after reading the posts on the official forums, it seems like it's abandonware now, at this point the developer should just open source it, as it hasn't been worked on in 3 years!

• 2 weeks later...

Diskeeper 2011 Enterprise I think! It is so long since defragmentation was in my thought, Diskeeper does the job..... and thanks to, shajt. :P

Used to use raxco perfect disc and liked it.But i recently tried the new o&o due to seeing some reviews on nsane and for me its great with windows 8 in realtime :thumbsup:

Archived