Best Defrag Software?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Which defragmenting software do you use?

• Diskeeper Pro/Server 2012
    • Raxco Perfect Disk Server 12.5
    • O&O Defrag Pro 16
    • UltimateDefrag 4
    • Other
    • None
  2. 2. Which Defragmenting software do you think is the best?

• Diskeeper Pro/Server 2012
    • Raxco Perfect Disk Server 12.5
    • O&O Defrag Pro 16
    • UltimateDefrag 4
    • Other
    • None

• Replies 155
  • Views 49.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Vopt - anxiously awaiting the release of version 10 (after emailing them and asking about the progress, they only tell me that it's currently in the works and will be released to the public when finished, that was several months ago)

Which defragmenting software do you think is the best / which one do you use?

I use IObit Smart Defrag, which is also freeware:

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

It has an Automatic Defrag setting, that runs when the PC is idle, the default is set to run after 5 minutes of idleness. You can also manually defragment as well.

• 1 month later...

There are numerous factors to consider when determining which is the 'best'

Every user is different, as is every computer. Most people will be happy just using the default Windows Defragmenter. I use Vopt (not Win8 compatible yet) and it has never done me wrong. Extremely fast, proficient, advanced features yet simple interface. The next major release is supposed to come sometime this year. Haven't contacted the developers about it since October.

Airstream_Bill

Raxco Perfectdisk is the best if one thinks he or she really needs a high dollar Defragmenter. Windows defrag works for me and if I am not mistaken it kinda works like Diskeeper. I may be wrong. I have tried all that stuff and it is just something else running in the background. Bell & Whistles. Have Fun tweaking.

I use Vopt

I used to use Vopt a long time ago, but kept running into issues, so I stopped using it.

Personally I think the diskeeper 2011 is more powerful than 2012. In 2012 you can highlight and set options for multiple drives at one time. You have to do it one at a time. Small issue, but a nuisance

I use Vopt

I used to use Vopt a long time ago, but kept running into issues, so I stopped using it.

What kind of problems? It's not compatible with Windows 8 yet and you have to use version 7.x (I think) if you're running ME/XP and not the latest version, 9.x

Raxco Perfectdisk is the best if one thinks he or she really needs a high dollar Defragmenter. Windows defrag works for me and if I am not mistaken it kinda works like Diskeeper. I may be wrong. I have tried all that stuff and it is just something else running in the background. Bell & Whistles. Have Fun tweaking.

Yep, Diskeeper 12 Professional lost it - one of the reasons was mentioned above by bombadilio (have personally found that the latest one fails to respect User preferences and migrated to the previous version EnterpriseServer.)

I use Vopt

What kind of problems? It's not compatible with Windows 8 yet and you have to use version 7.x (I think) if you're running ME/XP and not the latest version, 9.x
I don't use Windows 8.

It f***ed up Windows XP, where I had to reinstall the OS, but didn't reinstall Vopt. Decided to eventually give it another chance with Vista, and let's just say I had to reinstall Vista.

After trying a few other defrag apps, I've settled on IObit's Smart Defrag.

• 2 weeks later...

after reading this topic, I'm using pd now :rolleyes: it's good and not sucking much resource when running in the background!

thanks for the review all B)

When I was still in XP , I try OO, Raxco and then diskeeper. and I love diskeeper, so vote for it

but after migration into win 7, I never use defragment software anymore

I thought windows 7 has built up automatic defragment on their task , CMIIW

• Administrator

When I was still in XP , I try OO, Raxco and then diskeeper. and I love diskeeper, so vote for it

Windows Defrag, after Vista, has hardly evolved. Softwares like DK and PD take the optimization to another level.

Windows Defrag, after Vista, has hardly evolved. Softwares like DK and PD take the optimization to another level.

Everyday programs are often stored in RAM (segments of program) or even L2 cache which helps program to execute fast, and when parts are missing then program is accessing lower memory levels in order to find specific data.

Real-time defragment software not only use certain memory and CPU to process data, but slowdown data streaming processes by allocating and reallocating data.

That means that your data extraction/compression, installation of programs, copying are going to take more time.

Large HDD with many data and exposed to high fragmentation level probably need defragment software.

Computers that do little data processing do not need real-time advanced defragmenter, occasional defragmenting is fine.

• Administrator

Everyday programs are often stored in RAM (segments of program) or even L2 cache which helps program to execute fast, and when parts are missing then program is accessing lower memory levels in order to find specific data.

Real-time defragment software not only use certain memory and CPU to process data, but slowdown data streaming processes by allocating and reallocating data.

That means that your data extraction/compression, installation of programs, copying are going to take more time.

Large HDD with many data and exposed to high fragmentation level probably need defragment software.

Computers that do little data processing do not need real-time advanced defragmenter, occasional defragmenting is fine.

I kicked Diskeeper out of my system due to the same reason. :)

Using PerfectDisk at the moment, scheduled to run weekly, no real time de-fragmentation. Does a great job every week. ;)

after reading this topic, I'm using pd now :rolleyes: it's good and not sucking much resource when running in the background!

thanks for the review all B)

I had your opinion too..but recently concluded that DK 2012 is much better :D

Archived