Filesonic stops filesharing

straycat19

In an apparent reaction to the recent take down of popular filesharing site Megaupload, another filesharing site Filesonic has taken action, by disabling all filesharing functionality.

Visitors to the site are greated with the message:

"All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

The site's Facebook page has also vanished.

Earlier today another site bannedhost.to took the decision to disable functionality for US visitors. The worlds second largest filesharing website Rapishare however said in a recent interview that "File hosting itself is a legitimate business." and that "We're not concerned or scared about the raid"

Are more sites going to react to the arrests of the the founders of Megaupload? Only time will tell.

• Replies 38
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me this is in reaction to MegaUpload's trouble.

A little over anxious, if you ask me. Ah well, better be safe than sorry, they say.

Damn, I only just bought a new 3 month subscription :(

*Edit: Put in a claim for a refund with paypal - let's see if I get anywhere...

So it does not work for paying customers either? What's the use of it then?

7uiie.jpg

Edit:

Wonder how long depositfiles will hold on. That is the one I'm using. Cyprus based.

Ah :rant: Come on!! If wupload also stops which i believe, then ppl will slowly start using torrent, emule and bs like that again :(

• Administrator

Filesonic Kills File-Sharing Service After MegaUpload Arrests

uYcs6.jpg

Filesonic, one of the Internet’s leading cyberlocker services, has taken some drastic measures following the Megaupload shutdown and arrests last week. In addition to discontinuing its affiliates rewards program and not yet paying accrued money to members, the site has disabled all sharing functionality, leaving users only with access to their own files.

To users of systems like BitTorrent, file-sharing means just that – the sharing of files with others. But this weekend users of Filesonic, one of the Internet’s leading cyberlocker services, sharing files is currently a thing of the past.

According to a shock announcement by the site, all file-sharing functionality has now been disabled, leaving current users only with access to files that they have personally uploaded. Many hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of links all around the web have now been rendered useless, at least temporarily.

But the bad news for the site’s users doesn’t end there. In the last few hours, before file-sharing was disabled, Filesonic also ended its rewards program, meaning that uploaders to the site no longer earn money when people download their files. A moot point perhaps, since no-one will be downloading files anyway.

However, there is the matter of what will happen to the reward money that was sitting in uploader’s accounts before the rewards program was discontinued. Will it be paid out, or will it simply disappear? Many users fear the latter.

No File-Sharing at Filesonic

0KyR2.jpg

This combination of news all adds up to a pretty big deal. Filesonic isn’t just some also-ran in the world of cyberlockers. The site is among the top 10 file-sharing sites on the Internet, with a quarter billion page views a month.

While there has been no official explanation from the site as to why the above actions were taken, all eyes are turned towards events of the last week – the closure of Megaupload and the arrest of its founder and management team.

Like Megaupload, Filesonic appears to based in Hong Kong and it’s clear that the authorities there already worked with the US government to shut down Kim Dotcom’s operations and seize his assets there. Filesonic is also believed to have some US-based servers.

In December, Filesonic announced it had partnered with Vobile, a provider of content identification services. All uploads to the service were said to be being checked for copyright infringement before users were able to share them publicly, although it is unclear if this system was ever implemented by the site.

The events of the last week have turned the cyberlocker world upside down and there is quite literally panic among users and site operators. Stay tuned for our detailed report tomorrow – the Megaupload takedown appears to be a game-changer.

:view: View: Original Article

Somehow I never liked those sites paying uploaders to distribute links. In the aftermath of the megaupload shutdown my belief that this is wrong has grown.

I wonder why people think torrents are bs. It makes me sad. :(

Because here in Germany you get often love letters if you download movies and music from torrent :)

FileServe & others start deleting files, might block USA IPs, close their affiliate programs

51179217.jpg

What are file sharing affiliate programs?

File sharing hosts
pay uploaders with monetary incentives
in a variety of ways.

For example, they might pay $35 for 1000 downloads of your files. Or they might pay $15 for every "premium" signup referral you make.

Why are they closing these programs?

Most filesharing hosts have legalspeak in their Terms of Service that make users/uploaders responsible for all uploaded content, instead of the host itself.

The monetary incentives offered to uploaders from affiliate schemes could potentially give them massive legal problems.

Due to the Megaupload case (as well as Hotfile & Rapidshare) it has been shown that these Terms of Service loopholes are not considered valid by the USA / FBI.

What the authorities dislike more than rights infringement, is people earning money from rights infringement.

Filesharing Host Tally as of right now

megauploadlogoa.gif

CLOSED

fileservelogol.png

Deleting multiple files. Closed affiliate program.

logofilejungle.gif

(Owned by Fileserve) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

154420wlx.png

(Owned by Fileserve) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

filesoniclogo.jpg

(Owned by Fileserve) No concrete news yet.

bepet.jpg

Closed affiliate program.

9cb209fb8c.png

Banned USA IP addresses.

filepostlogo.jpg

Started suspending accounts with infringing material (doing what Hotfile did)

6xcvw.jpg

Closed affiliate program.

we got to get rid of obama period

I see u guys are afraid about privacy ! THE BEST WAY IS TO USE VPN Services ! when downloading ! I use and i can stay relaxed realvpn.com or vpnpod

I think I'll start using my vpn all the time now. It's sad they all seem to be running scared. If they have info on them they'll still have it after they close there sites. Didn't they use old evidence against Megaupload.

I think the reason these companies are in a panic mode is because they don't know exactly what evidence will be used to prosecute megaupload. The allegations are clear, but we will have to wait until court trial to know exactly what evidence is used and which charges will hold.

I also want to add that there seems to be some confusion with the megaupload take down. It has been shown that the megaupload take down took months(or longer) of planning, and it was a coordinated arrest with the join effort of the involved local governments. Whether the arrest was just or not, the feds were granted permission to enter their country.

Perhaps SOPA/PIPA and this megaupload stunt were all just a planned attempt to confuse and brainwash the people into thinking that big government can do whatever they want regardless of "proper" legislation, and the people are powerless against it.

I am liking how the MPAA CEO is going around provoking everyone. Like they say, the bigger you are the harder you fall. It's time for people and all the tech companies to stand up and fight against their own demise.

Wonder how long it'll be before wupload.com buckles...they are the last big one left.

Looks like torrenting is gonna see a HUGE jump. ;)

I think it will probably take a while for the sand to settle. But I think these cyber lockers will not disappear.

The pirate bay is switching to magnet links, so maybe we will see more and more sites adapt that trend?

Look like the age of pirating is going to an end?. :-(

Look like the age of pirating is going to an end?. :-(

Only if you don't know how to use uTorrent...lol

I feel for those who rely on public torrent trackers cuz they are gonna swell up with ex-locker users who are not used to having to seed back and swarm speeds are gonna take a nose dive.

Archived