randomjester

Best Codec Pack?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best codec pack?

• K-Lite Codec Pack
    • Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP)
    • Shark007 Codec Pack
    • Other (?)

I have used VLC since v.0.8.x ... and never found a reason on why using codec packs.. it has never failed me. Is there any really good and valid reason to try something else? VLC can open all file formats I have encountered, DVDs and it seems VLC 2.0 can handle Blu-rays..

• Replies 54
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndromedaAnima

I don't really use a codec pack since I've had bad experiences with them. I just use MPC-HC with ffdshow-tryouts and use VLC Media Player to play image files (.iso).

lol I thought we have a new poll

anyway, I use both vlc and k-lite because sometimes I'm in a situation where one of them doesn't play the file very well so I turn to the other.

• 1 month later...

In the meantime I've found my new setup: Splash Pro EX, for all of the formats it supports.

As backup ZOOM Player, with LAV Filters and MadVR, along with DVobSub, AC3 Filter, and a few other independently installable codecs. It provides the best picture for considerably less resources (I often experienced lag on max settings using MPC, but not with this).

I would recommend it to anyone not satisfied with MPC for whatever reason. I would also recommend Splash only, if you don't play flv or some of the other formats it doesn't support.

Archived