• K-Lite Codec Pack
    • Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP)
    • Shark007 Codec Pack
    • Other (?)

• Replies 54
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, have only used KLCP and have never experienced any problems that couldn't be fixed with upgrading to the latest version.

I'm on VLC's default codecs and I'm fine with it.

VLC default codecs are very old, not updated for almost 1 year, I suggest you to install K-Lite for the best video/audio exprience. ;)

I don't know, have only used KLCP and have never experienced any problems that couldn't be fixed with upgrading to the latest version.

I agree. Btw, what is the definition for "the best" codec pack? I understand about looking for "the best" antivirus for example, but for this, I don't know yet...

• Administrator

I've never used any other codec pack other than K-Lite.

CCCP and Shark are known to have good customization options. But CCCP gets an stable update after year or so, and Shark, well, isn't that famous. On the other hand K-Lite is famous, is updated regularly, and some codec, etc. devs release versions specifically made for K-Lite (I've heard so).

Nothing is best, K-Lite is the most used, atleast in our community.

SacredCultivator

CCCP for me, only because it's just soo simple to install.

I used to be an avid user of KLCP but then that was when i didn't know what Codecs were. Now there are too many options to pick and whatnot.

Hehe I wouldn't mind switching back as I know that it updates frequently. Any kind User of KLCP want to by chance take like screenshots of the settings they've selected? (I'm leaning towards dl'ing Mega if I to switch on back over)

Thanks.

• Administrator

With K-Lite 8.0, the installer has 3 modes. Quick (or something like that), Expert and Advanced. So it's quite easy if you select quick (I haven't tried, but that's what the installer says. :P ).

I (and Lite) recommend using the Standard version, as it has everything a normal person needs, Mega is kinda overkill.

Well I guess the question is not necessarily the "best" but rather the most complete all-in-one codec pack for widely functional audio/video.

I liked using CCCP but recently switched to try Shark007 because CCCP is not updated regularly. Shark007 is updated very often and is actively worked on fixing issues promptly. Also like its all-in-one GUI. You can set custom settings or use the built in suggested settings fast and easy.

With K-Lite 8.0, the installer has 3 modes. Quick (or something like that), Expert and Advanced. So it's quite easy if you select quick (I haven't tried, but that's what the installer says. :P ).

I (and Lite) recommend using the Standard version, as it has everything a normal person needs, Mega is kinda overkill.

I think Full edition is better for personal use but I myself always use Mega version and had not any problems yet, but I might go for Full in future because I don't use many features of the Mega, it has many extra tools. ;)

Shrug, I always install the latest VLC player.. never needed any external codecs so far..

..and if it doesn't play,I convert it with XviD4PSP which has built-in codecs to do the conversion..

Somebody have to explain as how different OS'es and .NET environments affect codecs in a first place. Yes, those are needed for M$ WMP use etc, though it is one useless endless error and updating way. Much simpler using dedicated players for dedicated purposes and total system resources as well as nerves get saved.

my $0.02ct:

Music- Foobar; Video KMP, also there is many many other good alternative for choosing and avoiding of anything extra just to make M$ products (as with codecs) to work

Archived